Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slovenia v England

Comments

• Options

Just cos Rooney is a decent player doesn't mean you have to like him.

And having travelled to Croatia to watch another inept England performance in 2008 and then see him give our end the finger as he walked off, whist we had to run the gauntlet of nutty locals outside hardly endeared the prick to many of us.

Good talent? Yes. World class? Laughable. Prick? Without doubt.

Would I cheer his winner today? Of course as i support the shirt, not what is in it.

Spot on.
  • Options
    Tyldesley. Massive twat. That is all.
  • Options

And having travelled to Croatia to watch another inept England performance in 2008 and then see him give our end the finger as he walked off, whist we had to run the gauntlet of nutty locals outside hardly endeared the prick to many of us.

Would I cheer his winner today? Of course as i support the shirt, not what is in it.

Understandable in terms of fans having to run the Croatia gauntlet but... Am sure we've all done something in our youth that we look back on and think "that was stupid of me to do"

What wouldnt be good is if Rooney was still doing gestures like that as England Captain now but with age he's matured
  • Options
    I am always happy when England win and we should be talking about Wiltshires goals. I do not understand this hatred towards Rooney. He always gives 100 per cent for England and like other people have said you don't score 48 goals for England without being a good player. The debate about whether he is World class or not is spurious. What yardstick do we use to gauge a world class player?
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Understandable in terms of fans having to run the Croatia gauntlet but... Am sure we've all done something in our youth that we look back on and think "that was stupid of me to do"

What wouldnt be good is if Rooney was still doing gestures like that as England Captain now but with age he's matured

Agree. I never liked him. He done some stupid things as a very young man, who didn't? However he has grown up a lot these last few years and seems to have become a decent mature bloke.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    dickplumb said:

I am always happy when England win and we should be talking about Wiltshires goals. I do not understand this hatred towards Rooney. He always gives 100 per cent for England and like other people have said you don't score 48 goals for England without being a good player. The debate about whether he is World class or not is spurious. What yardstick do we use to gauge a world class player?

I'm not sure what the yardstick is but in my opinion he was world class early on in his Man united career and was definitely one of the best players out there. For sure he peaked early but that was always going to happen as he was playing regular football at 16 and due to his bodyshape (he will look like Jon Parkin if he were to carry on like scholes and giggs). But still a good player with bags of experience.
  • Options
    decent England performance apart from some defensive hiccups
  • Options
    Ljubljana is a fantastic little place to visit, picturesque old town and not expensive.

Enjoyable match, more like a club game than an international. Bedlam in the home and away ends in quick succession!
  • Options

Ljubljana is a fantastic little place to visit, picturesque old town and not expensive.

Enjoyable match, more like a club game than an international. Bedlam in the home and away ends in quick succession!

I endorse this .. Slovenia in general is a very beautiful country and as yet relatively 'unspoilt' .. go there soon though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well two years later in SA he was doing the same again - slagging the supporters off as he had a little sulk.

He may have natured since then but you don't forget those things when you're travelling all that way, shelling out thousands of pounds to support them.
  • Options

Well two years later in SA he was doing the same again - slagging the supporters off as he had a little sulk.

He may have natured since then but you don't forget those things when you're travelling all that way, shelling out thousands of pounds to support them.
    Sadly I still feel as though Rooney's comment was justified in South Africa... all he said was "Nice to see your own fans boo you", he didnt swear and was just being honest.

Yes we as fans pay all that money to go to games but Football is and always will be a game of chance, if people are going to boo because they dont get the right result then am sorry but you shouldnt bother wasting your money.

And yes the lack lustre performance against Algeria was mainly the reason for the booing because England did play poorly but had we nicked a goal I cant imagine the fans would have booed then
  • Options

I endorse this .. Slovenia in general is a very beautiful country and as yet relatively 'unspoilt' .. go there soon though
    Indeed, we took the train from Zagreb to Ljubljana - 2 hours of great scenery - most of the route winds its way through Slovenia alongside the river Sava. Didn't get to Lake Bled on this trip but that's a must-see.
  • Options
    All I would urge anybody to do if they get the opportunity is go and actually see a game Rooney is playing in and for 5/10 minutes just concentrate on him, not the ball just watch him, I have done this twice at England matches and believe me his work rate and more to the point his movement is different class, you don't get to see this with TV coverage, but if you get the chance believe me your opinion of him will change.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

How tall they are
  • Options
    It won't Steve those that hate him won't change , it was the same with Beckham irrelevant of what he went on to achieve he was always a cnut in some people's eyes , people hate the man and are blinkered then on him as a player ,

Rooney, Beckham, Ashey Cole have been the only world class players England has produced and who have contributed consistently during their time and all three get the most abuse for them as men , mainly by men who have not met them would not meet them , but secretly want to be them

• Options

It won't Steve those that hate him won't change , it was the same with Beckham irrelevant of what he went on to achieve he was always a cnut in some people's eyes , people hate the man and are blinkered then on him as a player ,

Rooney, Beckham, Ashey Cole have been the only world class players England has produced and who have contributed consistently during their time and all three get the most abuse for them as men , mainly by men who have not met them would not meet them , but secretly want to be them

Not sure I'd want to be Beckham but if I was, the first thing I'd do is dump his scrawny bint and get someone with a bit of meat on them in.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the game, decent goals - especially England's second - a good hard working performance and a cracking atmosphere. Rooney will beat Charlton's record by the end of the qualifying campaign if he stays fit.
  • Options
    Could the problem be more deep rooted with the Marmite reaction to Rooney.

when we 1st saw him at 16 for Everton and in his 1st major tournament for England as a teenager, we thought we had found the Saviour, then the injury curtailed that journey, and ever since, thou scoring consistently in friendlies and qualifying, when the World cups or Euro come along the jinks kicks in.
    Sending off, injury or the story about to break in South Africa about his playing away from home; have all hampered his progress in joining the top table of World football.

The Bizzare facts are we tend to remember his misses(not colleen) us much as his goals. Could the fact that he earns over a million a month from football and the same again from his endorsements be the reason why we expect him to perform like Messi and Ronaldo who are head and shoulders above Wayne.

You don't have to like the scallywag, but it's disingenuous not to give him credit for the 48 goals(and more to come) even if he didn't become Roy of the Rovers and answer all our dreams of England success on the world stage.
  • Options
    Good game, efficient win. Rooney excellent.......again.......totally admire him as a footballer. Wilshere's goals were pearlers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

I am always happy when England win and we should be talking about Wiltshires goals.

They were hamtastic.

• Options

What wouldn't be good is if Rooney was still doing gestures like that as England Captain now but with age he's matured
    He showed that when the blonde fella lobbed the ball at the ground in frustration, before he would have tried to square up to him, yesterday he calmly walked away.
  • Options

Scholes >>> all 3 combined
  • Options

decent England performance apart from some defensive hiccups

masterful understatement - defense was piss poor. Our first choice centre halves are some way short of world class and if Smalling is really the next best we're always gonna have to outscore the opposition when it comes to tournament time. Despite a couple of seasons regular top flight football Gibbs doesn't seem to have it between the ears and if Phil Jones or Jordan Henderson are really options for the right back slot, I'm dusting off my boots and going for a run, a fully fit Chris Solly would walk straight into that job.
    Hodgson is gonna need a barrow full of luck with our back 4 over the next year but we've beaten everyone in the group so qualification is not an issue. Fingers crossed for a favourable group when Euro2016 kicks off.
  • Options
    Thought Gibbs was excellent apart from the goal and Clyne will hopefully be our right back. We do definitely need a better centre back though. Hopefully John Stones has a full season of games with Everton.
  • Options
    Thing is, we complain about the defence but we've got a better defensive record than Germany and Italy. It's twice as good as the Dutch record even. All those teams have drawn or even lost games - we haven't. You can point at all the different teams in each group and nitpick as much as you like but that's still very impressive to me.
  • Options
    I am a huge scholesy fan but I never think he reached the heights he should have for England as consistently as the three I mentioned , this was probably down to miss management but I stand by my post
  • Options

Cant believe you are leaving out Francis Jeffers, Anthony Gardner, Heskey and Crouch from your list.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Thing is, we complain about the defence but we've got a better defensive record than Germany and Italy. It's twice as good as the Dutch record even. All those teams have drawn or even lost games - we haven't. You can point at all the different teams in each group and nitpick as much as you like but that's still very impressive to me.

Not one of our defenders would get in either Germany or Italy's first team.
  • Options
    WS_Addick said:

thenewbie said:

Not one of our defenders would get in either Germany or Italy's first team.
    I dunno... Would maybe put Gary Cahill ahead of Jerome Boateng