Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slovenia v England

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Beckham trained relentlessly. He practiced his technique for striking a ball to the degree that he became the best in the world at connecting with the ball. He used that technique for everything - shooting, crossing, penalties, passing, whatever.

With that came a vision for picking out an amazing pass. He was the best in the world at it. But honestly, he was a bit too limited to be regarded as one of the very best. He'd probably admit that himself if pushed. He was a bit slow, he couldn't really head very well. His shooting was a bit wayward because he used a passing/ crossing technique (it looked amazing when it came off but you wouldn't see him hit a volley as it didn't suit his technique). I love the guy as much as anyone, I'm proud that we cheered him in 1999 instead of throwing effigies around. But I wouldn't say he's the best player I've seen in an England shirt by any means.
  • Options

dizzee said:

Ashley Cole is the only England player that could make a world XI imo in the past 10-15 years. That's my definition of World Class.

I would put Rio Ferdinand in his absoulute prime Possibly but for consistency Cole is the only one in there year after year.
    You would put Rio in with the likes of Cannavaro, Maldini and Nesta?
    Yes I would. You Don't become Champion s League winning Captain of the most successful and famous club in the world during its glory years without being one of best. Rio was one of the world"s best for a few years in his prime.

Maldini was pretty much a different era and a left back Nesta was no where near the quality of Rio with the ball but not much between. It was difficult to actually pick a weakness in Rio's game but I understand his last few may have tainted everyone's view as we all have short memories.
    No no no, this is like comparing Gerrard with Zidane, Pirlo and Iniesta. Gerard was a great player but would never make the world 11 in the last 10-15 years. Likewise with Rio, a great player but would never make the world 11 in the last 10-15 years.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

Ashley Cole is the only England player that could make a world XI imo in the past 10-15 years. That's my definition of World Class.

I would put Rio Ferdinand in his absoulute prime Possibly but for consistency Cole is the only one in there year after year.
    Yes I would. You Don't become Champion s League winning Captain of the most successful and famous club in the world during its glory years without being one of best. Rio was one of the world"s best for a few years in his prime.

Maldini was pretty much a different era and a left back Nesta was no where near the quality of Rio with the ball but not much between. It was difficult to actually pick a weakness in Rio's game but I understand his last few may have tainted everyone's view as we all have short memories.
    No no no, this is like comparing Gerrard with Zidane, Pirlo and Iniesta. Gerard was a great player but would never make the world 11 in the last 10-15 years. Likewise with Rio, a great player but would never make the world 11 in the last 10-15 years.

In my opinion Gerrard is nowhere near the players you listed but Rio, admittedly not as good as Nesta and Cannavaro, isn't that far behind. Come to think of it other than them two I can't think of any Cb's better than Rio in the last 10-15 years, and if anybody says John terry that is a straight flag!
  • Options
    Second best player in world twice Beckham, surely if your second best player you are world class anyone in that top three are world class
  • Options
    i think John T.......

......orode is great on Masterchef.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

Rio was a very good defender in his day, him and Vidic are one of the best centre back partnerships in recent times.

Rio and Sol in 02 were the best central defensive partnership England have had in my time, and were probably the best pair at that World Cup. If only they'd had a decent right back to work with.
    I've always felt that England were the 2nd best team at the 2002 world cup.
  • Options
    WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

Rio was a very good defender in his day, him and Vidic are one of the best centre back partnerships in recent times.

When I say recent times I mean the last 10-15 years, so not sure what the "lol" is about. Name me a couple of centre back partnerships that were better in said timeframe. Couldn't be that bad because United won quite a few trophies when those two were in their prime.

• Options
    IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

Rio and Sol in 02 were the best central defensive partnership England have had in my time, and were probably the best pair at that World Cup. If only they'd had a decent right back to work with.
    Hard to say for sure but you could be right - that was their best chance in a long time.

The only thing that team lacked was a natural left sided midfielder.
  • Options

David Beckham's performance against Greece was fantastic,
    To be world class you have to do that on a regular basis and not just against
    modest opposition. I loved his passion for England but Good crosses and excellent Free kicks alone, can't make you world class. It did make him a game changer, just like Rooney, and one of our best players over the last 25 years.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with your opinion Sam, but on that definition, Messi isn't world class then.
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

In my opinion he would of done. Its not like comparing anyone to anyone else. Its an opinion. Never did I say Gerrard was better than this player or that player. You are putting words im my mouth to get your point across.
  • Options
    WS_Addick said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

When I say recent times I mean the last 10-15 years, so not sure what the "lol" is about. Name me a couple of centre back partnerships that were better in said timeframe. Couldn't be that bad because United won quite a few trophies when those two were in their prime.

Nesta - Cannavaro (Italy)
    Nesta - Stam (AC Milan)
    Marquez - Puyol (Barcelona)

Just off the top of my head. Carvalho - Terry personally as well. Probably a few more Italian ones I've missed out from Juve and Inter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

WS_Addick said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

Nesta - Cannavaro (Italy)
    Nesta - Stam (AC Milan)
    Marquez - Puyol (Barcelona)

Just off the top of my head. Carvalho - Terry personally as well. Probably a few more Italian ones I've missed out from Juve and Inter.

Already said Nesta and Cannavaro.
    Stam and Nesta I disagree with, although they were great players they didn't win any trophies as a partnership.
    Again i disagree with the other two but that's your opinion.

Lucio and Samuel at inter were class together though.
  • Options
    WS_Addick said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

Don't think Vidic was English.

Isn't this making the point that you can have the very best CB in the world in your team but if he is playing alongside Chris Smalling, you may well struggle. You need a pairing. Arsenal had that but it was probably more than 10-15 years ago - how time flies!
  • Options
    edited June 2015

modest opposition. I loved his passion for England but Good crosses and excellent Free kicks alone, can't make you world class. It did make him a game changer, just like Rooney, and one of our best players over the last 25 years.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with your opinion Sam, but on that definition, Messi isn't world class then.
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

In my opinion he would of done. Its not like comparing anyone to anyone else. Its an opinion. Never did I say Gerrard was better than this player or that player. You are putting words im my mouth to get your point across.
    I was making a comparison, I never said you said that. What I am trying to say is that Rio was a great player, but never would he make the world 11 in the last 10-15 years as Maldini and Cannavaro would be in that world 11. Nesta is also ahead of him with probably quite a few more.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

I was making a comparison, I never said you said that. What I am trying to say is that Rio was a great player, but never would he make the world 11 in the last 10-15 years as Maldini and Cannavaro would be in that world 11. Nesta is also ahead of him with probably quite a few more.
    Maldini is a left back mostly and ten years older. All I meant was at SOME time in the last 10-15 years he would of got in the world 11. Not speaking as a whole decade. And I would still have a prime Rio over Nesta without a shadow of a doubt.
  • Options
    Didn't Fergusson say that if Beckham had not gone down the Posh Spice route then he could have been as good a player as Scholes?

Beckham was and is class.
  • Options
    I thought he gave his all in training. I don't get how he could have done anything differently and been a better player?
  • Options
    I didn't get to see the England v Slovenis game, well I only saw bits of it as I was cooking a barbie, I just think 6 wins out of 6 in our group is very misleading, we have some promising youngsters coming through, but a shocking defence, and not what you'd call a proper defence.

We'll do well to get out of our group next summer, give me the England team of '86 Italia 90 or Euro '96 any day.
  • Options

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

Hard to say for sure but you could be right - that was their best chance in a long time.

By the way, what I said was as much a criticism of the quality of that tournament. Brazil were the best, followed by England then Turkey. The whole German side of the draw was garbage, regardless of the names of the nations.
  • Options
    Beckham wasn't the greatest to have ever played, but you can't name me a player who played in his position who did what he did as good as he did it. Not in this era or any previous.
  • Options

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

I think we were missing a winner's mentality as well... A killer instinct. Germsny have it. Italy have it. Too often England players don't perform for their country like their clubs... But that was a very good England team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015

I didn't get to see the England v Slovenis game, well I only saw bits of it as I was cooking a barbie, I just think 6 wins out of 6 in our group is very misleading, we have some promising youngsters coming through, but a shocking defence, and not what you'd call a proper defence.

We'll do well to get out of our group next summer, give me the England team of '86 Italia 90 or Euro '96 any day.

We will have to do extremely bad to not get out of our group what with the restructuring of next years tournament.

• Options
    McBobbin said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

I think we were missing a winner's mentality as well... A killer instinct. Germany have it. Italy have it. Too often England players don't perform for their country like their clubs... But that was a very good England team.
    Mmmm - yes and no. At the last two world cups they have gone out at the group stage and they managed to finish runners up in Euro 2012 despite winning only two games over 90 minutes. They won one game at Euro 2008 and one at Euro 2004. But of course they did win the big one in 2006...
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Didn't Fergusson say that if Beckham had not gone down the Posh Spice route then he could have been as good a player as Scholes?

Beckham was and is class.

Being an East end boy, I'm sure that David knows all the best upmarket Indian restaurants.

• Options
    edited June 2015

McBobbin said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

I think we were missing a winner's mentality as well... A killer instinct. Germany have it. Italy have it. Too often England players don't perform for their country like their clubs... But that was a very good England team.
    Mmmm - yes and no. At the last two world cups they have gone out at the group stage and they managed to finish runners up in Euro 2012 despite winning only two games over 90 minutes. They won one game at Euro 2008 and one at Euro 2004. But of course they did win the big one in 2006...
    Euro 2000 they made it to the final.
    WC 2002 it was fixed v Korea.
    Euro 2004 Sweden v Denmark fix to eliminate Italy. They had to draw 2-2 and surprise surprise. They then held hands running across the pitch.
    WC 2006 they won.
    Euro 2012 they made it to the final.
    WC 2014 it was fixed v Uruguay.

7 tournaments - 3 finals.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

McBobbin said:

IA said:

JiMMy 85 said:

WS_Addick said:

dizzee said:

Euro 2000 they made it to the final.

Too long ago to be relevant

WC 2002 it was fixed v Korea.

Also too long ago, but they managed one win

Euro 2004 Sweden v Denmark fix to eliminate Italy. They had to draw 2-2 and surprise surprise. They then held hands running across the pitch.

They won one game, and that was a winner in added time, hardly the fault of Sweden or Denmark.

WC 2006 they won.

As stated in my post, but you could add that it was "fixed" for Australia to lose the second round match, if every bad refereeing decision is a "fix"

Euro 2012 they made it to the final.

The won two games in normal time, as stated in my post

WC 2014 it was fixed v Uruguay.

Had they beat Costa Rica, it wouldn't have mattered

7 tournaments - 3 finals.
    I would give my right hand for England to have that kind of record, but "Killer Instinct" - not really. Taking away 2006, and a penalty shoot out, six wins in six finals tournaments since 2002, that's all folks...