Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grenoble

Comments

• Options
    Knew it would be a matter of time before someone brought up something about how Christians aren't all saints or something to that effect. Happens every time.

Fact of the matter is that this isn't about Christians. Its three stories in one day that all seem linked to some kind of Islamic extremism. Nothing to do with Christians whatsoever, stop trying to deflect it away from the true culprits here.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2015
    The Maldives isn't a "shithole" and 98% of their population is Muslim.

Oh, you've edited it.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I'm well and truly on my soapbox now; but forgive me because I'm on my commute home and barely as denmark Hill. Ive browsed twitter and exhausted the newspaper.

I wouldnt want my comments about Luton and Whitechapel to come across as alarmist or dramatic, or even racist.

However I do feel these areas are the key to stopping homegrown extremism. Deal with the areas that have become "pockets of a far flung land" and ensure we never let them become that way again. They need to become British again because the members of those community, regardless of how it sounds, are actually British.

The land they walk on everyday and the system they use.. is British. By not confronting these areas we ARE ignoring what they're doing and that in itself leads to the feelings of disconnect. I can understand how someone who has grown up in these places can see themselves as Muslim above British; and this is our fault because we've let them grow up in to places we've neglected and allowed to become microsocieties.

It's brilliant that I can hear the call to prayers in some areas, but it's not brilliant that there are places I only feel safe with Asian friends.

Integration isn't invasion; nor is integration simply allowing the "right of self chosen segregation". We need to treat everyone the same and expect the same from everyone; cultural excuses shouldn't cut it.

Unfortunately I can't see a plausible way of doing this because I think it's gone too far.

Agree (unfortunately) in that it will end in bloodshed and it's gone too far to be reversed.

I predicted over 15 years ago that this will end in civil war (of a kind) in this Country and i still believe that - when i don't know but I'm convinced.

I spoke about my concerns years back about the problems down the line as a result of the huge muslim influx, lack of integration, tip-toeing around them, letting them preach hate against us on our own streets ffs etc etc.

Yes most of them are peaceful etc etc but i genuinely feel people severly underestimate the real thoughts and believes a lot of them (even the more moderate ones) hold and that they'd never openly admit about us and more importantly our way of life.

Hope I'm wrong but i won't be surprised one bit when it all gets very very ugly.
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33287136?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

A suicide attack on a mosque also happened today. Wonder what interpretation of Islam would've told them to do that?

It's not a religious issue.

Sunni's and Shia's have been murdering each other for hundreds of years. The interpretation is where the main issue lies between the two strains of the same faith.

It's very much a religious issue. I know it doesn't sit well with some but denying it is only exasperating the issue.

"What role has sectarianism played in recent crises?

In countries that have been governed by Sunnis, Shia tend to make up the poorest sections of society. They often see themselves as victims of discrimination and oppression. Some extremist Sunni doctrines have preached hatred of Shia.

The Iranian revolution of 1979 launched a radical Shia Islamist agenda that was perceived as a challenge to conservative Sunni regimes, particularly in the Gulf.

Tehran's policy of supporting Shia militias and parties beyond its borders was matched by the Gulf states, which strengthened their links to Sunni governments and movements abroad.

Discontent among the Shia has fuelled street protests in Bahrain

During the civil war in Lebanon, Shia gained a strong political voice because of the military activities of Hezbollah.

In Pakistan and Afghanistan, hardline Sunni militant groups - such as the Taliban - have often attacked Shia places of worship.

The current conflicts in Iraq and Syria have also acquired strong sectarian overtones. Young Sunni men in both countries have joined rebel groups, many of which echo the hardline ideology of al-Qaeda.

Meanwhile, many of their counterparts from the Shia community have been fighting for - or alongside - government forces."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16047709

If you think the violence that has occurred is due to the difference in religions and not the cultural make-up of the two sects you're wrong. It's like painting the IRA/England violence as a religious issue.
    The origin of the IRA's cause was most definitely religious, in that the C of E English repressed the papist Irish.
    It was most definitely not. If France had invaded England do you think our problem would be simply that they were catholic or the fact we would not want to be ruled by the French.
    Depends on your mindset. Back in the times of the Spanish Armada Elizabeth was terrified that there was a huge enemy within, catholics ready to rise up under the Spanish to unify catholic lands. The fact is we as a culture have moved on. Islamic culture has not moved on and the differences between sects are as apparent as ever in a religion where the vast majority are infinitely more devout than the average Christian.

The strength of belief that even the average Muslim has today is a lot like what the average Christian had hundreds of years ago. That doesn't mean that they want to go out and kill people, but it means that it is something that they hold much dearer to them.
  • Options
    Why can't they see that everything they believe in is total bollocks????!
  • Options

Charleston happened last week so I don't think the problem is as simple as you all think. Removing religion from the world won't make too much of an impact with these attacks, the problem is cultural not religious.

These "people" are not Muslim, although they'd call themselves that.
    I hope you apply the same logic to us Millwall fans and the unsavoury element among us.

We may not want to acknowledge that these people are of the Islamic faith as it doesn't fit in with how we want to perceive the religion. Not least to protect the moderate and law abiding people that live in harmony alongside us. However, whether we like it or not, they are Islamic and no amount of distancing them from the faith will change that, unfortunately.
    And they are a tiny tiny minority in the billions of Muslims around the world.

They are also only using Islam as a reason to inflict misery on other people. As I said, it's Ramadan, Muslims should be fasting and going to the mosque etc (although my knowledge of Ramadan is incredibly limited, please correct me on this). Not beheading and blowing up a mosque as they have done in Kuwait today as well.

That Charlestown nutter used his race as justification for shooting people. Are we going to have to tell all white people that they should make extra effort to condemn the shootings? No.

I'm not going to change my opinion on Islam because of one or two nut cases that want me dead.

Let's not forget a lot of this anti west shit goes back to britains atrocious management of Palestine and the holy land over the last hundred years or so. We are as much to blame as a nation as the religion of Islam itself.

It's called 'whataboutery', Tom and it's very common when defending theocratic fascistic psychopaths.

'Islamophobia' is such a ridiculous word. A phobia is irrational by definition. It is perfectly rational to be wary of a religion that views you as inherently inferior and believes in death for those that abandon it or are homosexual and those who dare to criticise the 'perfect human being' who was in fact a paedophile and sadistic psychopath that they hold as being beyond reproach or criticism.

It is an irritational fear. The chances of you dying at the hand of Islamic extremists is incredibly remote.
  • Options

Charleston happened last week so I don't think the problem is as simple as you all think. Removing religion from the world won't make too much of an impact with these attacks, the problem is cultural not religious.

I hope you apply the same logic to us Millwall fans and the unsavoury element among us.

We may not want to acknowledge that these people are of the Islamic faith as it doesn't fit in with how we want to perceive the religion. Not least to protect the moderate and law abiding people that live in harmony alongside us. However, whether we like it or not, they are Islamic and no amount of distancing them from the faith will change that, unfortunately.

They are also only using Islam as a reason to inflict misery on other people. As I said, it's Ramadan, Muslims should be fasting and going to the mosque etc (although my knowledge of Ramadan is incredibly limited, please correct me on this). Not beheading and blowing up a mosque as they have done in Kuwait today as well.

That Charlestown nutter used his race as justification for shooting people. Are we going to have to tell all white people that they should make extra effort to condemn the shootings? No.

I'm not going to change my opinion on Islam because of one or two nut cases that want me dead.

Let's not forget a lot of this anti west shit goes back to britains atrocious management of Palestine and the holy land over the last hundred years or so. We are as much to blame as a nation as the religion of Islam itself.

It's called 'whataboutery', Tom and it's very common when defending theocratic fascistic psychopaths.

'Islamophobia' is such a ridiculous word. A phobia is irrational by definition. It is perfectly rational to be wary of a religion that views you as inherently inferior and believes in death for those that abandon it or are homosexual and those who dare to criticise the 'perfect human being' who was in fact a paedophile and sadistic psychopath that they hold as being beyond reproach or criticism.

It is an irritational fear. The chances of you dying at the hand of Islamic extremists is incredibly remote.
    Interesting isn't it. Imagine all the money that has been put into stopping terrorism, if it had instead been put into curing cancer (and this isn't some hey peace man hippy nonsense) how many lives would have been saved...

It's the nature of it though I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fear of dying is not the only issue - i worry about the mindset of the people populating large parts of this Country. I worry about towns in England that no longer resemble English towns.
  • Options

Unless you happen to be strolling through Woolwich.
    Or sunbathing on a North African beach

• Options
    Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or working on the 82nd floor of your office building

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or shopping in your local kosher supermarket.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or working for a satirical magazine

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.
    That wasn't religion - just racism

• Options
    edited June 2015

LuckyReds said:

I'm well and truly on my soapbox now; but forgive me because I'm on my commute home and barely as denmark Hill. Ive browsed twitter and exhausted the newspaper.

I wouldnt want my comments about Luton and Whitechapel to come across as alarmist or dramatic, or even racist.

However I do feel these areas are the key to stopping homegrown extremism. Deal with the areas that have become "pockets of a far flung land" and ensure we never let them become that way again. They need to become British again because the members of those community, regardless of how it sounds, are actually British.

The land they walk on everyday and the system they use.. is British. By not confronting these areas we ARE ignoring what they're doing and that in itself leads to the feelings of disconnect. I can understand how someone who has grown up in these places can see themselves as Muslim above British; and this is our fault because we've let them grow up in to places we've neglected and allowed to become microsocieties.

It's brilliant that I can hear the call to prayers in some areas, but it's not brilliant that there are places I only feel safe with Asian friends.

Integration isn't invasion; nor is integration simply allowing the "right of self chosen segregation". We need to treat everyone the same and expect the same from everyone; cultural excuses shouldn't cut it.

Unfortunately I can't see a plausible way of doing this because I think it's gone too far.

Agree (unfortunately) in that it will end in bloodshed and it's gone too far to be reversed.

I predicted over 15 years ago that this will end in civil war (of a kind) in this Country and i still believe that - when i don't know but I'm convinced.

I spoke about my concerns years back about the problems down the line as a result of the huge muslim influx, lack of integration, tip-toeing around them, letting them preach hate against us on our own streets ffs etc etc.

Yes most of them are peaceful etc etc but i genuinely feel people severly underestimate the real thoughts and believes a lot of them (even the more moderate ones) hold and that they'd never openly admit about us and more importantly our way of life.

Hope I'm wrong but i won't be surprised one bit when it all gets very very ugly.
    People trot out this civil war line every few years.

Notting Hill riots in 76 was the first time I heard it but it was said earlier
    Rivers of Blood and cable St and out likely before that

There was no civil war after the murder of Lee Rigby or the 2011 riots.

Not you but when I read and hear it the people say often it with a relish as if that is what they want.

Which of course it was for the scum who killed Rigby as it was for the little nazi who got sent down for attaching an Asian man in a supermarket in revenge (the victim was a Sikh but they all look the same sic).

There won't be a civil war. That isn't a solution as much as nutters on the far right and the jihad would like one.

Like most complicated and long standing issues this is complicated, has multiple causes and no simple solution.

But as some old bloke said jaw jaw is better than war war.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.

It was terrorism
  • Options
    WSS said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.

It was terrorism
    No, it was racism, pure, simple and evil.

• Options
    Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.

It was terrorism

Terrorism: The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
  • Options

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.

It was terrorism

Terrorism: The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
    Must admit I googled the definition too.

Maybe it's one of these things though. Minorities can't be racist and white people can't be terrorists?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.

It was terrorism

It can be both
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.

It was terrorism

Maybe it's one of these things though. Minorities can't be racist and white people can't be terrorists?
    The mental illness line is only trotted out when white people commit these acts as well, such as the multiple spree shootings in America.
  • Options

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.

It was terrorism

I'd agree that when comparing the two (racism and terrorism) it's safe to say that they are the same in that they both promote hatred and insanity.

• Options
    Bbc saying the beheaded victim was the employer of the killer so there may be both a personal and a political motive.

Also IS had called for a month of action against the infidel during Ramadan so the 3 attacks while not coordinated or planned may separate responses to that

IS see other Muslims as infidels and most of the victims of IS and other terror group attacks are other Muslims.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

WSS said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Or commuting to work.

Or going to church.

Oops, wrong religion.

It was terrorism

The mental illness line is only trotted out when white people commit these acts as well, such as the multiple spree shootings in America.
    Trotted out by who?

The white kid in America - not the full ticket.

Members of IS - not the full ticket.