Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ten years on from 7/7 bombings.....Is London safer now than it was then?

Comments

• Options
    WS_Addick said:

Anybody see the bloke in London the other day walking about with an ISIS flag wrapped round him with his daughter on his shoulders. Police spoke to him but there weren't any grounds to arrest.

One of those times you wish you were there, I would have dragged the flag from his shoulders and stuck it so far down his neck
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

Anybody see the bloke in London the other day walking about with an ISIS flag wrapped round him with his daughter on his shoulders. Police spoke to him but there weren't any grounds to arrest.

Yeah, I find it strange that the police have no power with something like that. Surely that flag is symbolic to terrorism and hatred??
    You want to ban people from holding flags?
    In instances like this, on so many levels.

Would you think it's acceptable for someone to walk around draped in a swastika?

Seeing as 30 British people were murdered by a IS trained gunman last week, I think it's acceptable for our police to tell that scumbag to not wear it around the countries capital.

"Daddy, what's that flag you're wearing mean...?"
    I am playing devil's advocate here, but...

This thread is about a reprehensible attack on the freedom of Londoners to go about their business. The response - the *correct* response - is to carry on as usual, living our lives in a tolerant, all-encompassing way. There are very few cities who could stoically and steadfastly go about daily life, with the dignity London has managed. And part of the reason for that is this: we Londoners understand that we cannot succumb to people telling us what to do. We don't want people telling us whom we should pray to; what we must and must not wear; whom we have to marry; what we can eat; where we go. We Londoners know that it's not right to be told what you cannot do. And we also know that it's not right to tell others what they can and cannot do.

So, who decides that someone can't carry a certain flag? Not me. While I think everything that flag stands for is a disgusting, degrading, pathetic, abhorrent mix of mediaeval atrocity and nihilistic, brainwashing degradation, I also think that people should be allowed to wave a flag if they want to. (At the same time, I hope no-one in their right might *would* want to).

Ban a flag and you've stepped over the line towards fascism. Allow people the freedom to choose and, hopefully, they'll reject fascism and embrace freedom.
    Meanwhile, the families of the victims of these terror atrocities can sleep easy at night knowing at least the terrorists were given the choice to do what they did.
  • Options
    He will be under surveillance now hopefully
  • Options
    Speaking as someone who lost a very close friend on the bus, I can categorically state that had I been in the vicinity of the person with this flag who was clearly looking for a reaction, he would have got a reaction. It would more than likely required surgery to remove the flag from his arse.
  • Options
    Regarding the flag, my friend saw that and said this to me about it:

the police said this: “Wearing, carrying or displaying of an emblem or flag, by itself, is not an offence unless the way in which, or the circumstance in which, the emblem is worn, carried or displayed is such as to cause reasonable suspicion that the person is a supporter or member of a proscribed organisation."

Thought that would be interesting. I haven't made my mind what to think. I guess you see people with pro Palestine and pro Israel gear on. Not miles off depending on your perspective
  • Options

He will be under surveillance now hopefully

Who, Chizz, or the bloke with the flag or both ?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

Yeah, I find it strange that the police have no power with something like that. Surely that flag is symbolic to terrorism and hatred??

Ban a flag and you've stepped over the line towards fascism. Allow people the freedom to choose and, hopefully, they'll reject fascism and embrace freedom.

Do you seriously believe that the recent calls to ban the display of the Confederate Flag in the US is a step toward facism?
  • Options
    These people don't understand your logic chizz, they only understand hatred towards non believers, fight fire with fire is the only solution
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

Try walking around Stamford Hill wrapped up in a swastika flag and see how you get on .. and read this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Order_Act_1936 .. if the wearing of a black beret is deemed to be adopting a 'uniform' the same should apply to being wrapped in an obnoxious flag .. shame is that the so called ISIS flag is not illegal a t m in the UK so far as I know .. BUT could be deemed so under the public order acts
  • Options

Chizz. I wonder if you would feel the same, if they had murdered your family in Tunisia last week and were standing outside your front door, right now, waving ISIL flags ?

I feel dreadfully and terribly sorry for anyone who has lost anyone close to them in any terrorist atrocity anywhere.

Let me answer your question like this. I wouldn't feel any *safer* if that horrible flag were banned. In fact, if it were banned and someone still waved it, I would feel less safe.

Arbitrarily banning a flag does not end terrorism. Bringing about a more tolerant, inclusive society certainly does.

In an ideal world (and I am fully aware we'll never get there) the flag would not be banned, it would be forgotten.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

Would you think it's acceptable for someone to walk around draped in a swastika?

Seeing as 30 British people were murdered by a IS trained gunman last week, I think it's acceptable for our police to tell that scumbag to not wear it around the countries capital.

This thread is about a reprehensible attack on the freedom of Londoners to go about their business. The response - the *correct* response - is to carry on as usual, living our lives in a tolerant, all-encompassing way. There are very few cities who could stoically and steadfastly go about daily life, with the dignity London has managed. And part of the reason for that is this: we Londoners understand that we cannot succumb to people telling us what to do. We don't want people telling us whom we should pray to; what we must and must not wear; whom we have to marry; what we can eat; where we go. We Londoners know that it's not right to be told what you cannot do. And we also know that it's not right to tell others what they can and cannot do.

So, who decides that someone can't carry a certain flag? Not me. While I think everything that flag stands for is a disgusting, degrading, pathetic, abhorrent mix of mediaeval atrocity and nihilistic, brainwashing degradation, I also think that people should be allowed to wave a flag if they want to. (At the same time, I hope no-one in their right might *would* want to).

To me wearing that flag is the same as preaching violence, hate speech and terrorism. As my orginal post said, surely that warrants arrest let alone just asking him to remove it.
    Preaching violence, hate speech and terrorism are all, obviously, illegal. What would you arrest someone wearing a flag for?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

No, as long as I can fly my swastika flag im happy.

* i would never own anything like that
  • Options
    The actual wording of the flag is quite dull.

There is no god but allah
    mohammed is the messenger of allah.

No different from what can be seen outside most mosques.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

To me wearing that flag is the same as preaching violence, hate speech and terrorism. As my orginal post said, surely that warrants arrest let alone just asking him to remove it.
    Preaching violence, hate speech and terrorism are all, obviously, illegal. What would you arrest someone wearing a flag for?
    The same thing as youve mentioned.

Wearing an IS flag says to me you support the numerous sick and twisted shit they do just like wearing a rainbow flag says to me that you support LGBT rights. The former should be illlegal in this country.
  • Options

The actual wording of the flag is quite dull.

There is no god but allah
    mohammed is the messenger of allah.

No different from what can be seen outside most mosques.

The Swastika means auspicious but on a flag we know what it actually stands for.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

Wearing an IS flag says to me you support the numerous sick and twisted shit they do just like wearing a rainbow flag says to me that you support LGBT rights. The former should be illlegal in this country.
    Let me re-phrase the question. Someone preaching violence, or espousing hate speech or perpetrating acts of terrorism are all committing crimes that are arrestable.

If you think someone wearing a flag *should* be arrested, what *crime* do you think they are committing?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

Let me re-phrase the question. Someone preaching violence, or espousing hate speech or perpetrating acts of terrorism are all committing crimes that are arrestable.

If you think someone wearing a flag *should* be arrested, what *crime* do you think they are committing?
    I'm not up to scratch on my UK Law but to me, I'd class it as inciting hatred and I guess after the weeks events and where he was wearing it 'anti-social behaviour'.

(a)conduct that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person

Let's be honest, the bloke wasn't wearing it to keep warm. He knew exactly what he was doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

I'm not up to scratch on my UK Law but to me, I'd class it as inciting hatred and I guess after the weeks events and where he was wearing it 'anti-social behaviour'.

(a)conduct that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person

Let's be honest, the bloke wasn't wearing it to keep warm. He knew exactly what he was doing.
    That's a fair answer.
  • Options
    Anyway, Chizz congratulations.

You've managed to wind us up again, as was your aim.

I have to admit, I'm still not sure, whether you're a troll or not, so very well played.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

and I would wager he was looking to be arrested.
  • Options

I have to admit, I'm still not sure, whether you're a troll or not, so very well played.

Chizz is the Chief Hair Splitter on CL
  • Options

Everything he's said makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

if he'd been on his way to football, no fire safety certificate would have been enough to have confiscated.
  • Options
    You have to be careful in properly identifying these things sometimes....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11703847/CNN-mistakes-sex-toy-flag-for-Islamic-State-banner.html

.....can get a bit embarrassing otherwise.
  • Options
    Might only have been a flag to some but with a lot of countries they can be an incredibly symbolic item...

Take the Albania game a few months ago cant remember who they were playing but a simple flag over territory was dropped from a drone onto the pitch and all hell broke loose.

Again another example when Croatia played Italy and a NAZI symbol was etched into the pitch, once again... all hell broke loose.

During the Napoleonic Wars it was customary to carry an Eagle into Battle (France) or the Union Jack (British)... If a regiment on either side lost that item to the enemy it would be seen as a disgrace to that particular unit.

Ultimately a flag is a very powerful item and shouldnt be understated