Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Stuck on the A2 going east for several hours this morning. Not much fun.
  • philcafc said:
    Stuck on the A2 going east for several hours this morning. Not much fun.
    ah but what wonderful countryside. 
  • Motorists heading to Canterbury will be sent on a 52-mile detour as roadworks are carried out on Brenley Corner roundabout next week.

Overnight closures at the busy junction from Monday, December 16 until Thursday, December 19.

The work will prevent vehicles coming off the Thanet Way and onto Brenley Corner, as well as stopping any motorists joining the A2 Canterbury-bound from the roundabout.

The official diversion route for those heading to Canterbury and Dover

Looking at that map surely you'd simply come off the A299 a bit further along & drop down into Canterbury via a smaller road.....no-one is going to do a 52 mile circular trip.
    Spot on, you'd just go to Whitstable and down through Blean, extra 10-15mins max.

• I go up twice a week from Hythe and use the M20, once to Meopham Green, and once to Bexley village, been doing this for the past year, and it has got very difficult of late.We go to look after our young grandchildren. Unusually we left late this morning, @8.30 and got to Bexley @ 9.55 via the M20, carnage all around. We  normally leave at 6.15am and there is always a hold up from Maidstone, that is after the 50 mph 'Operation Brock', and Ashford Junction fiasco's. With Meopham we used to go up on a Thursday night, and come back Friday night, but found it simply too stressful, with the dark nights and rain, ( fair enough it  is winter) so go up midday Friday, and come home Friday night. Personally speaking we never imagined the constant stress this would cause, but may have to move back, although we still love Hythe. By the way, 25 -30 years ago I drove all over the UK, for photography, but that is another world, I enjoyed driving, with the odd exception granted, Nowadays, it ain't the odd exception, but the norm, and  not what I expect  in my retirement, Not been to a game, for 8 weeks, and midweek games are a no, even though I am a season ticket holder. The simple problem, is that when the Dartford Tunnel, Bean interchange, etc has an accident\ diversion the whole area is affected, and I cannot see it changing anytime soon.  
  • Yet another nightmare journey in prospect this morning, as there are two lanes closed on M20 London bound in Maidstone area.  Traffic at a standstill on A20 outside my house, so another stressful start to the day. 

• Obviously there is a population vs capacity of infrastructure problem in Kent (Dartford crossing 126% of capacity every single day etc.)I have no doubt of that. I do though, think that things could be made better and the bad days reduced with speed cameras on the A2 M2 all the way down. No other 3/4 lane stretch of road in the country with volume of traffic anywhere near that level doesn't have variable speed limit checks on it.

Don't get me wrong when the road is clear and conditions are good I do enjoy being able to go for it a bit and will admit to breaking the speed limit on occasions on that route. But those days where the road is sufficiently quiet to allow it are just too rare now. I see driving on that road like you don't see anywhere else, crazy speeding, tailgating, sudden breaking, cutting across all 4 lanes etc. a lot of this is caused by people trying to break the speed limit when the road is too busy to allow it. This is the biggest cause of accidents on that road. Speed cameras will cut out that sort of driving which if it cuts down accidents even a bit will mean the really bad days on that route which then force the whole county into a standstill will be reduced. 
  • M26 currently closed so traffic diverted via M20.  Could cause people traffic problems later on if the closure continues.

https://m.highwaysengland.co.uk/#news
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:
    M26 currently closed so traffic diverted via M20.  Could cause people traffic problems later on if the closure continues.

https://m.highwaysengland.co.uk/#news
    I thought Brexit & the fragrant Priti had stopped all that 🤷🏻‍♂️😉
    If only the Bremoaners had stamped their feet a little more, our diabolical road system would of been entering a glorious new era financed by our wonderful European friends and partners!!!!

• Fucking chaos around here, not withstanding the 40 tonner trying to find a back way round taking out a tree and power supply in the village. Moron!
  • Operation Stack in place, junction 8-9 M20 closed.
  • Ross said:
    Operation Stack in place, junction 8-9 M20 closed.
    Blame Brexit voters and Bozo. They knew this was what they voted for...they have said it often enough. Yeah, ok, right.
    Your point being ?
  • Increased security and border checks at the tunnel has led to waits of several hours, while traffic scheme Dover TAP has seen queues of nine miles build.

A Port of Dover spokesperson confirmed it was implemented following an accident which took place on the A20 yesterday morning.

The accident - which involved a van and a lorry - required air ambulance assistance.

The accident precluded yesterday's traffic, which in turn has snowballed into Operation Stack.

Blimey; Brexit being blamed on accidents now!

• The traffic chaos itself isn't really that important but it is probably a good illustration of what may be happening to our economy.
  • what - lots of trade and movement of goods ?
  • The traffic chaos itself isn't really that important but it is probably a good illustration of what may be happening to our economy.
    If you live in Kent and your journey takes much longer than it should, then the traffic chaos is VERY important, as it is for the thousands of lorries travelling through the county.
  • Increased security and border checks at the tunnel has led to waits of several hours, while traffic scheme Dover TAP has seen queues of nine miles build.

A Port of Dover spokesperson confirmed it was implemented following an accident which took place on the A20 yesterday morning.

The accident - which involved a van and a lorry - required air ambulance assistance.

The accident precluded yesterday's traffic, which in turn has snowballed into Operation Stack.

Apparently most of today's problems are due to increased border security checks.

• Sponsored links:

Apparently most of today's problems are due to increased border security checks.

Yes, they are. But I haven't seen it published why. The article explains there was then an accident which in turn snowballed into Op Stack
  • This is copied from the article in Kentonline that I posted earlier:

Increased security and border checks at the tunnel has led to waits of several hours, while traffic scheme Dover TAP has seen queues of nine miles build amid police activity at the county's biggest port.

• The extra security checks are on the French side which has put everything out of sync. They're probably demonstrating about something, they did this before to show how bad 'no deal' will be unless they hire loads more staff in Calais.
  • Lest people forget Operation Stack etc regularly operated while we were still fully in the EU. 

Thus opportunistic in my view to seek to blame Brexit for yet another French protest of whatever type even though Brexit is and has been (deliberately in my opinion) being ballsed up bigtime.

• BDLBDL
    edited September 2020
    RedPanda said:
    The extra security checks are on the French side which has put everything out of sync. They're probably demonstrating about something, they did this before to show how bad 'no deal' will be unless they hire loads more staff in Calais.

That's funny because Kent Police said it was them....

• Operation Brock is already causing problems on a daily basis. They are closing the almost M20 every night until the end of November, whilst they install the steel barrier which will protect the workers putting down the infrastructure for the removable concrete barrier.

Have got this week off work and we went to Folkestone on Monday and there was an accident in the Brock area between 9 and 8 on the M20.  All the traffic going London bound was at a complete standstill. It happened on an almost daily basis whilst the hated steel barrier was in place last time and will do again. 

Although I voted for Brexit, it IS gong to cause massive problems for the country, as the Government appears to be making a hash of this, like almost everything else they have had a hand in. Yes, I did vote for them as well, but bitterly regret that now. 
  • Op Brock is all part of Op Yellowhammer.  The Govt have detail plans in place.... What could possibly go wrong?
  • BDL said:
    RedPanda said:
    The extra security checks are on the French side which has put everything out of sync. They're probably demonstrating about something, they did this before to show how bad 'no deal' will be unless they hire loads more staff in Calais.

That's funny because Kent Police said it was them....

Thanks but that doesn't explain why I currently have a truck stuck in Calais, so I'll also take the information I'm getting from there. 
  • RedPanda said:
    Pure speculation RP.