Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Bang on ken, Our Dave has been very diplomatic at a time when being diplomatic is not incredibly helpful.

There is a time for talking and colourful language and this is not it. Some immediate action is needed. Remember lorry drivers who get 'caught' with people on/in their vehicles are personally responsible for some huge fines. These blokes earn about 44k a year for taking this bullshite
  • I reckon Farage is over in Calais stirring them up to boost UKIP's popular vote in Kent.

They've been remarkably quiet about the whole situation, considering their views on immigration from the continent. They certainly don't seem to want to ruffle any feathers at the moment.

Why is that?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Pedro45 said:

dancafc said:

I say bollocks to the lot of them just block the tunnel up.if they were decent people they wouldn't be causing shit I don't want people like that here we have our own fair share of scum in this country without adding to it

We could maybe do a scum swap with France?
    Nah I don't think i'd like to be involved in scum swapping with the hairy garlic breaths.
    And that's just the women !

• edited July 2015
    As someone whose daily life is being affected by Operation Stack because of the ensuing traffic chaos it is causing I am at a complete loss to understand why our government is allowing this to continue. On purely economic grounds and the damage to daily trade the regular turning of Kent into a giant car park is absurd, and people trying to get into our country illegally en masse is clearly a breach of our national security.
    I really do not understand why this does not now place this within the remit of our national services. Sending in military personnel would provide the much needed man power evidently required to detect and thwart illegal entrants to this country, as well as sending out a clear message of intent - no you are not just going to barge and intimidate your way into this country.
    The traffic and commerce on a main access to Europe need to be moving freely again. It is a national priority. Diplomacy is a secondary issue at the moment, the situation on the ground needs to be sorted immediately with a little more than 120 French Police and some fencing contracts.
    It has got completely out of hand.
  • edited July 2015
    We've done our trip to France this year...had to spend a couple of extra days over there due to problems at Calais Port, and then came back via Dunkirk. Hoping to go out there again next year but if this carries on then may consider going via Portsmouth.
  • If you get into the tunnel it's like you are invading our country and as such a simple bullet to the head will solve the problem and I am.serious what better deterrent than that could there be
  • Apparently our Government doesn't want to upset the French because of the agreement we have whereby our border is in France. They are worried that if we upset them they will say that the border must be in Dover and then border security will be our problem. The migrants will get into Kent and it will be too late to do anything about them.
  • If you get into the tunnel it's like you are invading our country and as such a simple bullet to the head will solve the problem and I am.serious what better deterrent than that could there be

That's never going to happen, something needs to be done, the UK is a small place and these people obviously don't go to rural areas either, they head straight to the already over populated cities.

What amazes me is something many posters have mentioned, terrorism, there's no way we can know who all the people in those camps are.

France, clearly don't give a shit and would probably help them get across if they thought they could get away with it
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently our Government doesn't want to upset the French because of the agreement we have whereby our border is in France. They are worried that if we upset them they will say that the border must be in Dover and then border security will be our problem. The migrants will get into Kent and it will be too late to do anything about them.

Cant understand why they dont have the border control on both sides of the tunnel... It would be no different to arriving from France on a plane.

Is really stupid because if this sort of thing was happening at an Airport (especially Heathrow or Charles De Gaulle) all hell would break loose from the authorities, because its not, they dont seem to care
  • 'strengthen the border control', according to Davey boy. 25 of the past 40 days operation stack has been in place, apparently people in Kent have been asked to see if there journeys are really necessary whatever that means. If as a government you cannot control the border crossings, what can you control?. With respect to the French there inability,or desire not to do so has resulted in failure.
    While the government departments of France an the UK, ponder what we can do, and get into the 'non blame culture' we as a nation need to take control to gain control. Wether this be on a temporary or permanent basis.
    Not sure I trust any of the politicians on this question, they certainly seem to underestimate the whole scenario. What do the Labour candidates for the leadership not formulate a response?. Saying the issue is up to the French is both an excuse and a gutless response.
    At times like this you do wonder if our leaders really understand what leadership is about. So we upset the French?. We do not seem to mind upsetting our own citizen's, many who have come here legally, and have a full right to be here. 120 French police, and flimsy fences ain't working Dave?
  • I'm only here because of the argument thread.....

I think you'll find, that is called murder.
  • Nope called defending your countries borders from invading people , put a law in place that allows it and problem solved

I think you'll find, that is called murder.
    If someone had illegally entered the country on an aircraft and legged it when they got off the plane, would the OB take whatever force possible to stop them?

Thanks for this post. It all makes more sense now.

I can see why The French don't care. Would we care if a load of our illegal immigrants wanted to go to France ?

I do believe we need to do far more to support The French. Although, it's an EU problem, it's our problem as much as The French, if not more so.
  • Anyone know what the state of the A2/M2 is like thinking of going Margate tmr?
  • Jarman said:

I'm only here because of the argument thread.....

Same. Was expecting much more.
  • cabbie8 said:

Anyone know what the state of the A2/M2 is like thinking of going Margate tmr?

Pot holes everwhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shut the tunnel and stop the ferries. If they're that desperate to get to England, let them swim. Those that make it, good luck to them. They can have a place in the British Olympic Swimming Team. They would have earned it. Those that don't make it...erm... they're clearly not good enough?!

Apparently our Government doesn't want to upset the French because of the agreement we have whereby our border is in France. They are worried that if we upset them they will say that the border must be in Dover and then border security will be our problem. The migrants will get into Kent and it will be too late to do anything about them.

I can see why The French don't care. Would we care if a load of our illegal immigrants wanted to go to France ?

I do believe we need to do far more to support The French. Although, it's an EU problem, it's our problem as much as The French, if not more so.
    Well thats exactly it, isnt it? Its an EU problem. It was my understanding that these immigrants should seek asylum in the first country that they came to in the EU? They shouldnt then be allowed freedom of movement to head to the UK.

I just feel sorry for my friends that live in Ashford and surrounding areas at the moment as their lives are being heavily disrupted at the moment.

[PS the bit at the top is meant tongue-in-cheek...dont go all PC on me!]

• It's not a bad idea John boy and we should add weights to them or items of clothes each 50 meters until they swim the remainder under water, or walking on the bottom , these people don't deserve your pity or sympathy they just need stopping
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Shut the tunnel and stop the ferries. If they're that desperate to get to England, let them swim. Those that make it, good luck to them. They can have a place in the British Olympic Swimming Team. They would have earned it. Those that don't make it...erm... they're clearly not good enough?!

Apparently our Government doesn't want to upset the French because of the agreement we have whereby our border is in France. They are worried that if we upset them they will say that the border must be in Dover and then border security will be our problem. The migrants will get into Kent and it will be too late to do anything about them.

Well thats exactly it, isnt it? Its an EU problem. It was my understanding that these immigrants should seek asylum in the first country that they came to in the EU? They shouldnt then be allowed freedom of movement to head to the UK.

I just feel sorry for my friends that live in Ashford and surrounding areas at the moment as their lives are being heavily disrupted at the moment.

[PS the bit at the top is meant tongue-in-cheek...dont go all PC on me!]

I read somewhere that one did try and swim across last October in a wet suit....his remains were washed up on a beach in Norway.
  • Sooner or later the French will realise that if they do the humanitarian thing and award these people citizenship they will be straight over to London. We might as well send coaches to Calais and bus them in.
  • Sooner or later the French will realise that if they do the humanitarian thing and award these people citizenship they will be straight over to London. We might as well send coaches to Calais and bus them in.

That sounds like a clever idea, until you realise that if they did that thousands upon thousands of immigrants from all over Europe, Africa and the Middle East would turn up in France looking for the same deal.

Jesus, that is such a simple solution for the French.
  • edited July 2015

Sooner or later the French will realise that if they do the humanitarian thing and award these people citizenship they will be straight over to London. We might as well send coaches to Calais and bus them in.

That sounds like a clever idea, until you realise that if they did that thousands upon thousands of immigrants from all over Europe, Africa and the Middle East would turn up in France looking for the same deal.

I'm sure the French state could make life very difficult for its new 'citizens' to ensure they head straight across the channel. The Dutch and the Eastern Europeans have done the same with their Somali and Roma communities so why not the French?
  • Why not electrify the fences at Calais?
    Might stop the SWARMS (oh dear not PC) of Illegals!
  • Macronate said:

All I want to know is will I be able to get to Dymchurch on Saturday?

A21 to Hastings and then A259 along the coast.

may take a bit longer and there will be millions taking the same route but just trying to help.
    Cheers, might try that

I'm sure the French state could make life very difficult for its new 'citizens' to ensure they head straight across the channel. The Dutch and the Eastern Europeans have done the same with their Somali and Roma communities so why not the French?
    So the plan is to invite thousands of desperate and or criminal immigrants into France, thus overwhelming all the services put in place to handle immigration. Then, with this large immigrant population flooding the country, hope you can piss them off enough that they all leave?

Estimates are there are 5000 currently at Calais, there are many more than that in camps around Paris and unknown numbers in France that nobody has counted. So if France were to throw open their borders, what percentage would stay, what percentage would head here immediately and what percentage would disperse to France's mainland European neighbours?