Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v West Ham - PSF - Match Thread

Comments

• Pope - Still doesn't fill me with confidence, pulled off a decent save 2nd half

Solly - If only we had 11 Sollys on the pitch. So consistent and our best player by a mile today. He looks match fit when others don't

Bauer - Wins everything in the air as a centre half should. Slow off the mark to ball over top

Diarra - had doubts with him playing centre half but was impressive today. Plays it out for back well and looks very assured. Can see why he has a brief stint in the prem.

Fox - looks more assure than last season. I hope he can really progress. Would love to see more accuracy with his crosses

Johan - Not really in the game. Make a couple of great runs inside from wide but can tell he's a bit behind with fitness

Ba - Looks a solid player. No nonsense

Cousins - passing was off today but put a shift in as always. I want him to be more consistent this year. If he really is going to shine and be our best player this is the year.

Charles Cook - has come out of nowhere but didn't look to out of place. Looks like he will be a squad player

Big No 9 - goes in for everything and makes himself known. Get a decent ball into the box and he will score. It's as simple as that.

Watt - frustrating player with real talent. On his day can run the show but fitness and maybe attitude lets him down. Clearly No9 is going to win the knock downs so why isn't Watt playing off him???

Quite a dull game against a West Ham reserve team bar 2 or 3. I honestly think 4-4-2 is dead in modern day football. We were very flat at times and they passed the ball through our midfield with ease which is worrying. I would play Diarra in front of the back 4 in the 'matic role'
    A good centre half is much needed
  • Diarra was often dragged out of position and got caught the wrong side of the striker. He is ok as an emergency centre half, I wouldn't want to see him back there full time.
  • Don't you think that the continental system could be what Luzon is aiming for?

By that, I mean the 4-2-3-1 used by Chelsea and Manchester City.

The back 4 pick themselves. (At the moment!)

We have Ba and Kashi as the holding midfielders. (From what I've seen calling Ba a 'holding midfielder' is entirely doing him a miss service, but he does tackle well.)

The three attacking midfielders could be JBG on the right, Caballos on the left, and Watt through the centre.

With them working off the big Dane.

I am aware that is not including POTY Cousins, but he could easily fill in one of the holding roles with his energy and power.

It is a squad game, and the likes of Igor, Bergdich and the emergence of Charles-Cook, give us the fluidity to change to 4-4-2, or even 3-5-2.

Just a thought, as to Luzon's plans for the coming season...
  • Don't you think that the continental system could be what Luzon is aiming for?

By that, I mean the 4-2-3-1 used by Chelsea and Manchester City.

The back 4 pick themselves. (At the moment!)

We have Ba and Kashi as the holding midfielders. (From what I've seen calling Ba a 'holding midfielder' is entirely doing him a miss service, but he does tackle well.)

The three attacking midfielders could be JBG on the right, Caballos on the left, and Watt through the centre.

With them working off the big Dane.

I am aware that is not including POTY Cousins, but he could easily fill in one of the holding roles with his energy and power.

It is a squad game, and the likes of Igor, Bergdich and the emergence of Charles-Cook, give us the fluidity to change to 4-4-2, or even 3-5-2.

Just a thought, as to Luzon's plans for the coming season...

Leaving out Cousins? Heresy
  • 41' DIVE! Payet booked for falling inside the box under a chellenge from @cjsolly. Clearly no contact. #cafc #CAFCLive

Diving in a friendly? Embarrassing.
    Diving full stop...............embarrassing!
  • Stig said:

Ba had a good game - played some great through balls,

Watt was his normal, tricky self, Problem is I just don't see him as a striker. He had a couple of chances today & missed them - the one in the second half when clean through he should at least hit the target. To me he is more of a creative midfielder - reminds me of Gordon Strachan or Pat Nevin (funny they are all Scottish). I;m afraid I don't see him scoring more than 8 or 10 goals in a season

If that's the one I'm thinking of, he meant it as a pass. He was moaning like hell at Gudmundsson for not getting on the end of it. I still agree with your point though. I think it would be interesting to see him in a slightly withdrawn role, just behind to forwards that can shoot.

If he meant that as a pass it was an effing awful one. That was an effort on goal. He should have squared it to JBG but as a striker was entitled to go for it. Got it all wrong though.
  • When superb analysts like Seth Plum say Makienok is "a HUGE improvement over Dagenham," you wonder just how low our standards have dropped. Even at 6ft 7ins, Makienok missed the headers today, and then the easy tap-ins. Then he started fouling the opposition. Yet he has a robin tattooed on his upper thigh.

Is he Carl Leaburn is disguise? We need far better than this. Diego Poyet played 20 first-team games, mostly as sub, and passed sideways if not back. "He's worth 15 million pounds," you plead. May I remind you that at the age of 20, Lee Bowyer was passing, sprinting, receiving and loping through the opposition - and scoring.

I never once saw Diego Poyet cross the half-way line. Every single club in the Championship has a talented academy: they all play for England youth, or for Angola, Ghana or Mozambique. And yet Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn, Fulham and Leeds: they have supremely talented young players. That is patently evident. Their first teams had us on the brink of relegation last year.

We need central defenders who can win a tackle - and midfielders who can advance. At The Valley last season we were routinely outplayed. At half-time, we in the Covered End would look at each other and shrug: "We haven't had a single accurate attempt at goal."

QPR, Derby and Hull are coming up, all in the same week. Don't you think it's about time we stamped our authority on this game?

Phew!!! Glad I am not the only one! I thought Makienok was 'Bendtner' like, and not just in the hair style department!! Still, it's only pre season.
  • Sponsored links:

• The team at the end,with 9 Academy players on the pitch,still looked pretty solid
  • edited July 2015
    Its only the weight of Watts' longer hair, when he gets it cut he will beholding the ball up in the corners back to normal.
  • edited July 2015

I think players like Watt struggle to get that 100% motivation and edge in pre season but once the action starts they come alive. I think he's probably a week behind some of the fittest because of this but two or three games in he will be buzzing.

You can argue about professionalism but I think for some players it's always going to harder. I hope that's the case anyway. Sports science is a art these days and players can't hide their lack of fitness. If he's not pulling his weight I suspect he will soon be told.

They seemed to have those tracker things on yesterday so there is no hiding place and their activity will be analysed in depth
  • Positives:-

Meeting Katrien and having picture with her, what a lovely lady. She was at the fun day watching the youngsters trying to get the ball into an inflatable goal, cheering them when they scored. Wonderful passionate lady a credit to our club.

Bauer, excellent game, could turn out to be a great find

Ba is nailing down his place in midfield, another good display.

Fox, who gets slated and who may well loose his place to the new left back was solid and didn't put a foot wrong. Maybe we'll play Bergdich at left midfield.

Solly, does what he does best and had a good game.

Diarra, awful first half, much better in the second.

Cousins and Gudmundson, usual solid displays.

Makeniok, getting better, showed a bit more yesterday

Charles-Cook, neat little player here, one for the future maybe.

Pope, pulled off a couple of great save in the second half, hopefully with a few games under his belt in the first team, he will be ok

Negatives:-

We definitely created more chances than West Ham yesterday, but failed to take them, which is a bit of a worry!

Tony Watt, had a stinker, looked lazy, forever offside and how he missed the one-on-one with the keeper I'll never know. It amazes me how blinkered the fans are when it comes to him, I walked behind three blokes leaving the game and one of them said to his mates, who was your MOM. One of them answered, either Solly or Watt! I couldn't believe I had just been at the same game as them!

Need to get a new CH in asap.

I think we are progressing well and hopefully against Southend we will see what the other two new lads can do.

Onwards and upwards!

• When superb analysts like Seth Plum say Makienok is "a HUGE improvement over Dagenham," you wonder just how low our standards have dropped. Even at 6ft 7ins, Makienok missed the headers today, and then the easy tap-ins. Then he started fouling the opposition. Yet he has a robin tattooed on his upper thigh.

Is he Carl Leaburn is disguise? We need far better than this. Diego Poyet played 20 first-team games, mostly as sub, and passed sideways if not back. "He's worth 15 million pounds," you plead. May I remind you that at the age of 20, Lee Bowyer was passing, sprinting, receiving and loping through the opposition - and scoring.

I never once saw Diego Poyet cross the half-way line. Every single club in the Championship has a talented academy: they all play for England youth, or for Angola, Ghana or Mozambique. And yet Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn, Fulham and Leeds: they have supremely talented young players. That is patently evident. Their first teams had us on the brink of relegation last year.

We need central defenders who can win a tackle - and midfielders who can advance. At The Valley last season we were routinely outplayed. At half-time, we in the Covered End would look at each other and shrug: "We haven't had a single accurate attempt at goal."

QPR, Derby and Hull are coming up, all in the same week. Don't you think it's about time we stamped our authority on this game?

Not even a good wind up!
  • Solly was MOTM for me. Even my West Ham supporting mate couldn't stop going on about how good he is.

Most of the new players did well. Am I the only one who thought Cousins had bit of a dreadful game? Gave away possession needlessly a few times.

I like the look of Makienok. This guy is a proper hold up player who can win everything in the air whilst holding players off. Absolute unit.
  • Another thing that amazed me. The tall black fella in midfield for West Ham looked pretty good and he took the armband in the second half - turns out he is only 16 and doesn't even turn 17 til December!
  • edited July 2015

When superb analysts like Seth Plum say Makienok is "a HUGE improvement over Dagenham," you wonder just how low our standards have dropped. Even at 6ft 7ins, Makienok missed the headers today, and then the easy tap-ins. Then he started fouling the opposition. Yet he has a robin tattooed on his upper thigh.

I can only assume from this post you know next to fuck all about football.

Comparing bowyer to poyet is like comparing iniesta to pirlo. Two completely different players and different roles. Maybe Riga should've made poyet go forward and leave gaping holes behind? Would be a league one team now if he did that.

You're the kind of person that regularly plays FIFA on amateur to make sure he wins every game. A nil nil draw against a prem team is obviously a disaster (!)

Go support Chelsea or arsenal if you want your team to dominate and win every game.
    We couldn't score last season, or the season before. Let alone against the children of West Ham yesterday. At Dulwich last week, half our first team relied on a trialist from Staines.

Mitov is standing there, waving his arms as if taught semaphore by the civil service. And the whole game dies.

When Ben Hamer had it - he was coached well - he would seize the ball, run to the edge of the area and send a low curving arc precisely to the feet of the striker. Bradley Wright-Phillips. Yann Kermorgant.

This was rehearsed well. And Vetokele still doesn't understand that a sprint ten yards will block the defender.

Middlesbrough, Derby and Blackburn - clubs with a serious ambition - don't sign players who haven't played a first-team game for two years. We've just done that. Twice.

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2015
    Reece Oxford? Yeh he oozed class for them. He's a centre back. Reminded me of similar to Gomez, still think Gomez is better but maybe I'm bias

I can only assume from this post you know next to fuck all about football.

Comparing bowyer to poyet is like comparing iniesta to pirlo. Two completely different players and different roles. Maybe Riga should've made poyet go forward and leave gaping holes behind? Would be a league one team now if he did that.

You're the kind of person that regularly plays FIFA on amateur to make sure he wins every game. A nil nil draw against a prem team is obviously a disaster (!)

Go support Chelsea or arsenal if you want your team to dominate and win every game.
    We couldn't score last season, or the season before. Let alone against the children of West Ham yesterday. At Dulwich last week, half our first team relied on a trialist from Staines.

Mitov is standing there, waving his arms as if taught semaphore by the civil service. And the whole game dies.

When Ben Hamer had it - he was coached well - he would seize the ball, run to the edge of the area and send a low curving arc precisely to the feet of the striker. Bradley Wright-Phillips. Yann Kermorgant.

This was rehearsed well. And Vetokele still doesn't understand that a sprint ten yards will block the defender.

Middlesbrough, Derby and Blackburn don't sign players who haven't played a first-team game for two years. We've just done that. Twice.

I'd like to know where you can find these talented, first team premiership players that are affordable are?
  • Mitov is standing there, waving his arms as if taught semaphore by the civil service.

LOL.
  • edited July 2015
    I wasn't there yesterday, but a certain person was...
  • edited July 2015

When superb analysts like Seth Plum say Makienok is "a HUGE improvement over Dagenham," you wonder just how low our standards have dropped. Even at 6ft 7ins, Makienok missed the headers today, and then the easy tap-ins. Then he started fouling the opposition. Yet he has a robin tattooed on his upper thigh.

You are correct about Lee Bowyer at the age of 20. He was passing, sprinting, receiving and loping through the opposition. In a Leeds United Shirt.

Diego Poyet played 23 first team games for Charlton, mostly as a starter. Only one of those appearances was a sub.

QPR, Derby and Hull are coming up in the month of August, not in the same week.