Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options

Pope had a shot go through his legs tonight, let's not blow this out of proportion.

What again ? You would have thought he'd learned his lesson after doing it against Derby.

• Options
    Lets hope our new goalkeeping coach can work on cutting errors out of his game, because he has got huge potential, and I'd love to see it fulfilled at Charlton.
  • Options
    He's been great In League 2. I think we are all agreed on that.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Pope had a shot go through his legs tonight, let's not blow this out of proportion.

He's in the unfortunate position now where people are remembering stuff that goes wrong, rather than picking out everything else he's achieved in a York, Bury and Charlton shirt. Until he puts in a string of confident performances, people aren't going to change their minds about him. He's got to come out fighting and be ready to prove all the negative nancys wrong.

Let's try our best to focus on what Pope does well and get behind him because he really can be a success with us.

Sorry Callum, it's has little to do with the fans focusing. It's Pope that needs to focus and letting shots through your legs, is not the sign of a good goalkeeper.

You're right that Pope needs to come out fighting. That's the problem, he's coming out shaking.

The Championship will gobble him up again like last season, if they smell his fear.

We didn't win a game in the 3 months Hendo was out last season. Will we really repeat the same mistake ?

Once is unfortunate, but to repeat the error is unforgiveable.
    Lot's of keepers let shots through their legs when a player is 1 on 1. If it was a long range shot then there may be a case to criticise. What was the defence doing. Can we have a view from someone who was actually there?
  • Options
    Unless we're signing a top drawer keeper this week, I'd play Pope v Bolton on Friday, gives him a chance to get tonight's game out of his system.
  • Options

He's in the unfortunate position now where people are remembering stuff that goes wrong, rather than picking out everything else he's achieved in a York, Bury and Charlton shirt. Until he puts in a string of confident performances, people aren't going to change their minds about him. He's got to come out fighting and be ready to prove all the negative nancys wrong.

Let's try our best to focus on what Pope does well and get behind him because he really can be a success with us.

Sorry Callum, it's has little to do with the fans focusing. It's Pope that needs to focus and letting shots through your legs, is not the sign of a good goalkeeper.

You're right that Pope needs to come out fighting. That's the problem, he's coming out shaking.

The Championship will gobble him up again like last season, if they smell his fear.

We didn't win a game in the 3 months Hendo was out last season. Will we really repeat the same mistake ?

Spot on.
  • Options
    I rate Nick Pope and he needs a run of games.
  • Options

Spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Forest 1-1 Charlton at the City Ground, December 2014 (less than a year ago):

"Pope confidently claimed all crosses and shots apart that one great strike from Tesche."

"Actually Pope did very well to get a hand to the shot, and he had a very good game, authoritative and calm, and there when needed. Got to say Pope is taking his chance well."

"Very impressed with young Popey, who cuts a very reassuring figure for a lad with only half a dozen league starts at Championship level. "

"Henderson wouldn't have made any difference today Pope dealt with what he had to well claiming crosses and not spilling anything. No chance with the goal, got a hand to it but it was a great strike and going like a rocket."

"Pope is my first choice as keeper , he's growing in confidence in every game and is prepared to come for the ball and put his cock on the chopping board , good luck to him"

"I have to say that Nick Pope was immaculate, we have another very good keeper on our hands."

"looked very good with some good claims on crosses. His nerves seem to be settling and confidence between him and the centre backs is growing. Hendo may well not stroll straight back into the side at this rate."

"Pope to me MOM."
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

What's the likes of Butland doing this season?

Stoke have sold Begovic, so Butland will probably be their number one. I'd guess not available!
  • Options
    Personally i think theres a good keeper in Pope but is he ready for Championship football? I'm not so sure. I would say loan him out to a league 1 side but with Hendo out that isn't an option.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm not saying Pope was poor, in all Charlton games, last season. He wasn't. He definitely had a couple of good games.

However, he had more than enough games, when for whatever reason, he wasn't up to the job and he spooked the whole defence as well.

If he had had a good pre season, overcome his nerves and shown he was a better keeper, then I'd have played him.

But by all accounts, he hasn't and we can't afford to play a keeper that will undermine the whole defence.

If he plays in The Championship & performs confidently and well, there will be no fan more pleased than me.

• Options
    Re the above, I'm not sure that when he played the defence helped him much especially when we were zonal marking at the time.
  • Options

Re the above, I'm not sure that when he played the defence helped him much especially when we were zonal marking at the time.

I'd agree with that.
  • Options

Ketts on Dr Kish saying he doesn't expect any of the players on show at Roots Hall tonight to start at Bolton.

Hinting at a new keeper?

Changed, now says excepting Pope he doesn't expect any of the players blah blah etc etc

• Options
    He clearly is a good keeper but has confidence issues! He is highly rated by the coaching staff and I think they want to give him the opportunity whilst hendo is out! Show a bit of faith in him which could build his confidence!

Whether you think he is up to it or not luzon has hinted he will start the season as first choice so let's all get behind him and see how he gets on! I for one will be standing behind him singing Nicky Pope, Nicky Pope, Nicky Pope! I hope a couple others will join me or I'm going to get a sore throat!!

Who knows a good first game and I think we will see the player that Bury and York fans were so excited about!

All I'm saying is give the lad a chance he's a year older with about 25 more games under his belt!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Swisdom said:

He's 22 - A toddler in goalkeeping terms

His record at the same age and same level is significantly better than Joe Hart's was

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative comments some of our numpty fans come out with are the reason he is lacking in confidence. Maybe if we were to Sing a song about him being "charltons number 1" it would have the opposite effect and boost him

I keep seeing comments like "he is young", "he has time on his side" etc......maybe he does, but we as a club don't considering our first game is in under two weeks. He isn't going to drastically improve in that time.

He has actually played quite a few games for us now if you combine league, cup and friendlies and he hasn't seemingly improved. I know some get really temperamental about criticizing a young/academy player but if we're being frank - he simply isn't Championship standard.

My old man on Saturday said that he will cost us points with his nerves and inability to use his feet. Its unfortunate, but I think hes right.
  • Options
    Came as bit of a surprise to me to see that Pope is actually very close to 100 competitive league games, though some of those came in the conference. He is well over the 100 mark when you include friendlies.

Either way, he has had a lot more exposure to first team football than I think meets the eye. He turned 23 in April - making him older than quite a few of our first teamers. I don't buy the idea that it is a drastically different curve for keepers than outfield players either.
  • Options
    For me the puzzling thing is how we are treating Dmitrovic. It seems to me that it was Pope rather than Marko who should have gone on loan, and why not to Alcorcon? I haven't seen much of Pope pre season but I've seen Marco live, and he doesn't lack confidence. The consensus among Serb fans was that he was one of the few players who emerged from the U21 tourno with credit, and that's a much tougher test than a friendly against Southend.

On the surface at least, baffling
  • Options

the pope at york looked unbeatable, full of confidence and looked like he stood 8 foot tall. Such a shame he hasn't carried that back to cafc. Still hope he can get better and better and get that confidence back.

Interesting to hear what a sports psych might make of that?
  • Options
    We went three months without a win but how many times did Pope play... We chopped and changed the Goalkeeper so much in that time that the back line was never really settled.

This time Luzon needs to come out and say that Pope is Goalkeeper until Henderson is fit and then we'll assess the situation
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    David De Gea, made a lot of clangers in his first couple of seasons at Man United, and took a lot of stick, and ridicule from the United fans.

Now United fans will be gutted to lose arguably one of the best keepers in the world.
    Now I'm not saving that Pope is going to be ousting Joe hart any time soon from the England shirt.

What I am saying is that with the right coaching, you can improve.If Pope has a few shaky games at the start of the season , but comes through them, and gets better, there's no reason why he can't become our player of the season / most improved player.

I know it sounds nuts saying it now, but I saw enough v West Ham to see his potential, and improvement from previous performances.

When he first joined us, he had the Justin Bieber floppy haired look about him, he's now grown into a man, I'm sure he knows he has to continually up his game each season, without us getting on his case, and he will get better with age and good coaching.

Listen to your coach, and don't let me down Nick!

• Options
    I think the goal against Derby still plays on his mind when it comes to playing for Charlton.
  • Options
    You can't have a shaky mentally week goalkeeper and that's exactly what Pope is. Every cross that comes in I'm worried he's going to fumble it. Maybe too many things have happened at Charlton and he needs a fresh start somewhere?
  • Options

David De Gea, made a lot of clangers in his first couple of seasons at Man United, and took a lot of stick, and ridicule from the United fans.

Now United fans will be gutted to lose arguably one of the best keepers in the world.
    Now I'm not saving that Pope is going to be ousting Joe hart any time soon from the England shirt.

What I am saying is that with the right coaching, you can improve.If Pope has a few shaky games at the start of the season , but comes through them, and gets better, there's no reason why he can't become our player of the season / most improved player.

I know it sounds nuts saying it now, but I saw enough v West Ham to see his potential, and improvement from previous performances.

When he first joined us, he had the Justin Bieber floppy haired look about him, he's now grown into a man, I'm sure he knows he has to continually up his game each season, without us getting on his case, and he will get better with age and good coaching.

Listen to your coach, and don't let me down Nick!

De Gea had played nearly 100 games for Athletico Madrid and at 20 had to come to a completely different culture and learn a new style of goalkeeping ( keeping goal in Spain does not provide the same challenges as those faced in England)

It's evidently a mental issue with Pope ( as it is with Harriot) and he needs to sort himself out quickly . Happy to give him the time to do that, but unfortunately goalkeeping errors tend to lead to goals and I don't think we are going to be good enough to babysit him through games, particularly when we have several new young players to bed in