Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Pope is 22, stop digging him out like a Simon Francis type of player. Pope will come good and wants to do that at Charlton. We have an unbelievably good player on our hands here for a 22year old and we just need to rely him with confidence. Being able to play football is one thing, getting the confidence from your peers is another and he is a player who needs just that. With confidence we've seen so many players excel into better players, now lets see this clean sheet man Pope!
  • Options
    cafc-4-life mentions Simon Francis and that's another player with fragile confidence who just got crappier and crappier throughout his Charlton time
    Like him I worry that Pope could be another who just for some reason or another cant crack it at Charlton but may have to leave to progress
    Personally I think there's a decent keeper in there but has he got the mental ability to turn it around at Charlton
  • Options

Pope is 22, stop digging him out like a Simon Francis type of player. Pope will come good and wants to do that at Charlton. We have an unbelievably good player on our hands here for a 22year old and we just need to rely him with confidence. Being able to play football is one thing, getting the confidence from your peers is another and he is a player who needs just that. With confidence we've seen so many players excel into better players, now lets see this clean sheet man Pope!

I don't think you really "get" confidence from someone else, it's an internal mental attribute that you develop when you know you can do something. Being supportive of him might help him develop that, but it's really down to him and not as straightforward as simply blindly persevering with him and eventually he'll suddenly gain confidence.

I don't, based on this thread, think that anyone's saying that we don't support him or that we should boot him out the club, simply that putting him in goal v QPR/Forest/Derby might not be the best move (for either party).
  • Options
    The whole situation is pretty straight forward.
    We have an honest young keeper with plenty of potential who is well short on confidence each time he pulls on a Charlton shirt.

Most fans would recognize that and support him vocally from minute one on the opening day of the season to maximize his confidence and thus his performance too.

Not our fans however, quite the opposite....
    Am fully expecting pelters as soon as Pope misplaces a kick, or fumbles a cross.....
  • Options

For me the puzzling thing is how we are treating Dmitrovic. It seems to me that it was Pope rather than Marko who should have gone on loan, and why not to Alcorcon? I haven't seen much of Pope pre season but I've seen Marco live, and he doesn't lack confidence. The consensus among Serb fans was that he was one of the few players who emerged from the U21 tourno with credit, and that's a much tougher test than a friendly against Southend.

On the surface at least, baffling

agree, and the couple of times Dimi has played he has looked comfortable and hasn't let us down. Baffling idea.

• Options

Ketts on Dr Kish saying he doesn't expect any of the players on show at Roots Hall tonight to start at Bolton.

Hinting at a new keeper?

to quote from Dr Kish ... With the exception of Pope, it would be a surprise if any of those on view at Roots Hall, were in contention for a starting place on Friday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jarman said:

The whole situation is pretty straight forward.
    We have an honest young keeper with plenty of potential who is well short on confidence each time he pulls on a Charlton shirt.

Most fans would recognize that and support him vocally from minute one on the opening day of the season to maximize his confidence and thus his performance too.

Not our fans however, quite the opposite....
    Am fully expecting pelters as soon as Pope misplaces a kick, or fumbles a cross.....

I didn't hear anyone giving him pelters for his poor error last night. A few chants comparing him with Deano when (yet another) clearance went into touch on the half way line and that was it. In the comedy circumstances of the goal (and how we all felt because of the general malaise in the team) he got treated more than decently IMO.
  • Options

I want him to be a success, from his loan spells there is clearly a good keeper in there.

The concern is he is following the pattern that he has done every time he has got in the first team. A few good saves but a mistake costing us a goal every other game.

In pre-season there's been a soft one in Belgium and it sounds like another mistake tonight.

With Hendo so fragile I really think we need to bring an experienced hand in.

Hopefully he will have 2 hands.
  • Options

What I do wonder is why it is criminal to question Nick Popes capabilities, but completely acceptable to label Reza as shit even though their contributions in a Charlton shirt are not a million miles away (in pure performance and ability terms Reza has shown more IMO).

Pope has never refused to play for us.
  • Options

What I do wonder is why it is criminal to question Nick Popes capabilities, but completely acceptable to label Reza as shit even though their contributions in a Charlton shirt are not a million miles away (in pure performance and ability terms Reza has shown more IMO).

Reza wanted to leave to chase the cash in Kuwait last summer. Pope has never , as far as I'm aware, done that.
  • Options
    Do we know for a cast iron fact that he refused to play or did he ask for a move?

Anyway back to the point - I think that having a top goalkeeper is a massively underrated requirement. All our decent sides have had a safe pair or hands - if Hendo is injured then the worry for me is that we can't afford to just throw points away. I am on the fence with this one.
  • Options

Do we know for a cast iron fact that he refused to play or did he ask for a move?

Anyway back to the point - I think that having a top goalkeeper is a massively underrated requirement. All our decent sides have had a safe pair or hands - if Hendo is injured then the worry for me is that we can't afford to just throw points away. I am on the fence with this one.

I agree with that.

Re Reza, I genuinely can't respect a guy of his age, straight out of a World Cup, going to play in Kuwait. If he comes back and plays well, all well and good, but I'm wholly dubious of both his play and his intentions
  • Options
    It was rumoured :heart: Reza didn't want to play for Peeters
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I agree with that.

Re Reza, I genuinely can't respect a guy of his age, straight out of a World Cup, going to play in Kuwait. If he comes back and plays well, all well and good, but I'm wholly dubious of both his play and his intentions
    He's the Asamoah Gyan of South East London !
  • Options
    "Head coach Bob Peeters had this to say following Ghoochannejhad's departure:

"It was Reza's decision to leave, He told us that, after the World Cup, he wanted to go to another country, and that was Kuwait.

"If a player wants to leave then it makes it difficult because their mind is already weak from wanting a transfer.

"That is why we made the decision to allow Reza to leave. "
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sent the wrong keeper to Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

He's 22 - A toddler in goalkeeping terms

His record at the same age and same level is significantly better than Joe Hart's was

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative comments some of our numpty fans come out with are the reason he is lacking in confidence. Maybe if we were to Sing a song about him being "charltons number 1" it would have the opposite effect and boost him

you can't always compare him to Joe Hart's record though. It's like saying Franny Jeffers was doing a lot better at his age than Ian Wright.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Just for clarification, I'm 100% behind Nick Pope and will be cheering him on and willing him to do well.

I think he has the ability to become a Premiership goalie. He certainly has more ability than Rob Elliot imo.

What he appears to be lacking, is confidence/mental toughness. In the psf's, this doesn''t seemed to have greatly improved, from the reports I 've read.

All I'm saying is, we've got a very tough start to the season on paper and is it right to select him at this point in time ?

If he plays, I fully back him and would dearly love him to be a tremendous success.
  • Options
    I'm trying hard to see this from the club's POV:

Dmitrovic is a year older than Pope.
    This summer he has represented his country in a significant tournament (and indeed was selected as one of the "over-age allowance") Despite conceding a lot of goals, fans rated him highly (and Serbian fans don't hold back on their criticism, and didn't re his team-mates)
    We have lost our first choice keeper for a very challenging opening month, at least.
    There is no evidence that Nick Pope is ready to face that challenge (by evidence, I mean recent run of good games for us or another team in the Championship)
    The defence in front of the keeper is at least 50% new and untested
    Yet knowing all this, they send Dimi to Alcorcon.

There has to be someone else coming in on loan. There must be...
  • Options
    Stuart Taylor is training with us.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

He's 22 - A toddler in goalkeeping terms

His record at the same age and same level is significantly better than Joe Hart's was

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative comments some of our numpty fans come out with are the reason he is lacking in confidence. Maybe if we were to Sing a song about him being "charltons number 1" it would have the opposite effect and boost him

you can't always compare him to Joe Hart's record though. It's like saying Franny Jeffers was doing a lot better at his age than Ian Wright.
    I agree but it shows that he is clearly not the basket case some people are making him out to be.

I really think we will regret letting him go if we did so now
  • Options

Just for clarification, I'm 100% behind Nick Pope and will be cheering him on and willing him to do well.

I think he has the ability to become a Premiership goalie. He certainly has more ability than Rob Elliot imo.

What he appears to be lacking, is confidence/mental toughness. In the psf's, this doesn''t seemed to have greatly improved, from the reports I 've read.

All I'm saying is, we've got a very tough start to the season on paper and is it right to select him at this point in time ?

If he plays, I fully back him and would dearly love him to be a tremendous success.

You're having a laugh right?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Came as bit of a surprise to me to see that Pope is actually very close to 100 competitive league games, though some of those came in the conference. He is well over the 100 mark when you include friendlies.

Either way, he has had a lot more exposure to first team football than I think meets the eye. He turned 23 in April - making him older than quite a few of our first teamers. I don't buy the idea that it is a drastically different curve for keepers than outfield players either.

Just pick you up on that last bit there! Most young keepers stay at their parent club being second or third choice and having quite a few loan spells for quite a few years!

Look at Henderson, we were his first first team gig at nearly 27 when he came to us... that is still fairly young for a keeper! The same is true for Hamer who was 25 when he joined us and button was 24 or 25 if you class Brentford as his first team chance...I'm just using the examples I know of but it is the same everywhere... Most keepers aren't ready before the age of 25 ( some exceptional ones are).

It's a position where experience and maturity are key.. mist keepers don't hit their prime till 30... when most outfield players are on the way down...
  • Options
    No, I'm not.