Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Yes it spilled which is why I said work needs to be done, to avoid errors in future.

But like I also said, if the defence had pushed out then Hernandez would've got nowhere near that second ball without being offside.

Don't think the blame lies squarely on Nick's shoulders.

Mitigating yes. But. The ball bounced off his chest. That is regardless of anything else in the equation an error.

As is the back four not pushing out. Where's your criticism of Cousins, Bauer, Diarra and Fox? :-)
  • Yes it spilled which is why I said work needs to be done, to avoid errors in future.

But like I also said, if the defence had pushed out then Hernandez would've got nowhere near that second ball without being offside.

Mitigating yes. But. The ball bounced off his chest. That is regardless of anything else in the equation an error.

As is the back four not pushing out. Where's your criticism of Cousins, Bauer, Diarra and Fox? :-)
    Look. The defence was collectively at fault. However. If the ball is shot straight at the goalkeeper and it rebounds off his chest. It is a GK error. Yes or no ?

• It is something he needs to work on and fast as it wont long till opposition managers are telling their players to get an early shot off as our keeper cant deal with them.

im sure as the Dagenham game got on they were told to fire off low shots as pope was struggling with the wet surface
  • edited August 2015
    Very harsh on Kashi as he would be the player closing down, not the central defence as it would be the midfield that picks up the Hull player. The chance was created after the ball hit the post which sucked the midfield deeper on to the back 4. He was expected to save that shot, he didn't. It was his error not the defence.
  • In the short amount of games how many times has nick spilt the beans?
    In the short amount of games how many times has Henderson spilt the beans?
    We do need a better no2.
    He's at Cheltenham on loan.
  • edited August 2015

Yes it spilled which is why I said work needs to be done, to avoid errors in future.

Look. The defence was collectively at fault. However. If the ball is shot straight at the goalkeeper and it rebounds off his chest. It is a GK error. Yes or no ?

Yep, I know there is still work to do with Pope. But I can already see where he has come on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months, including where spilling shots are concerned.

I'll happily let a few minor errors slide if we continue to see an overall improvement in his performance.

For me his overall performance yesterday was solid. Given we won I'd rather look at the positives of a young keeper finding his feet in the first team.
  • I'm sure eveyone was a bit disappointed with the way Hull Equalised, Coming back from 1-1 to win 2-1 was the right result in my opinion.

We all learn from mistakes or errors and i'm sure that Nick will be as disappointed with the goal as well. He look relieved at the final whistle.

Plenty of time to put it right and move on.
  • He has played for us 15 times I think, don't think we have lost many of those games. He is young for a keeper, he will get better. He will not be happy with the goal yesterday and rightly so, especially as he got a smack to the nose.
  • Sponsored links:

• I can agree that it was a handling error.

It just frustrates me that after 450 minutes of football, we concede two goals with Nick between the sticks.

He then spills the ball half a yard yesterday and that's all people can talk about.

Only on the Nick Pope thread or match thread. Both fair in my view.

• I can agree that it was a handling error.

It just frustrates me that after 450 minutes of football, we concede two goals with Nick between the sticks.

He then spills the ball half a yard yesterday and that's all people can talk about.

It's not "all people can talk about" though is it, but surely you can agree it is a talking point ?
  • Greenie said:

It was a great result yesterday and the future looks bright so not going to go on, but most keepers would have had trouble with that shot, the defence left Pope exposed. Pope had a very very good game, commanded his area always looked to distribute the ball fast so we can attack from the back, he even slowed it down when the outfield players were getting tired after playing 70 mins in 30 degree heat. All keepers make errors, that's the way it is.
    Any of the idiots who can't see that, well quite frankly they can do one!
    Embarrassing.

I agree. It was hot.

• Nick should try putting PVA glue on his chest next game. :-)
  • edited August 2015
    You have to also remember the ball was coming through our defence. A tiny deflection would have changed the balls course, he was probably distracted by that.

In general he had a very good game. He claimed every cross and his kicking was the best i have seen it. Give the guy a break
  • Just goes to show how peoples' attitudes are to certain players. Pope spilled the ball and there's plenty of posts giving him stick and saying he's not good on the purpose-built thread for moaning about him. Kashi is a fantastic player and might be our best signing this season, but he's received next to no criticism for his error - getting sucked towards the ball and letting Hayden line up a shot on the edge of the box - and there's definitely no thread knocking him. And that's a good thing, he shouldn't be chewed out for one error. We're unbeaten in five games, four of them against some proper teams with great attackers and yet people are spending their time crying that Pope isn't good enough. Tell you what, he's good enough that Luzon has decided he doesn't need to bring another keeper in and at the moment I'm in the business of listening to what Luzon has to say about football
  • Sponsored links:

• If Pope was a nondescript Network addition, he'd have been slaughtered on here.
  • I must be one of the idiots Greenie is referring to as I saw a basic standard shot from outside the area, go straight at the goalie, who then spilt the ball and conceded a goal.
  • This will be my last comment on this because I don't think NP deserves to be slaughtered over this despite my posts.

Consider this. If we had a centre back who every five games or so made a bad error that either caused or nearly caused a goal ( Big Mig ? ) despite the rest of the time being good. He would be hung drawn and quartered.

For some reason imho I see NP getting a much easier ride. Perhaps that's a good thing. I want him to succeed.

But let's not pretend that it isn't a basic GK error that Nick at this point struggles with.
  • One mistake. Yes it could have cost us but so could have JBG's miss when one on one and yet no comment on that. Goalkeepers are an easy target. Pope's handling was very good yesterday and his all round performance was good but one mistake and he's a poor keeper. Everyone on the pitch yesterday made a mistake yesterday, it happens, even to the best of them. If Pope was a disaster we wouldn't be sitting third with 8 points from 12.
  • This fella gets too much stick.... 2 goals conceded in 4 tough games isn't bad going... when keepers make mistakes its highlighted more than any other position.

He's young, learning and i think he's got a lot to offer the team.
  • There's two areas that's hindering Pope - his distribution (which has improved yesterday I must say) and his sort of mental block whilst faced with a sweetly struck shot coming direct to him... He tends to spill these and it's a coaching issue to get rid of that mental block and boy! I present you with England's next keeper. A mate jokily suggested that he gets a thick rubber foam sewn inside the front of his jersey to absorb the velocity of ball. Now, there's no rule against it, hmmmm? ;-)