Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options
    An error but nothing worth dropping him over. It'll all be forgotten when he makes a couple of great saves in the next game to save a point.
  • Options

Over the 4 games I've seen Nick has stepped up to the plate, as has the whole team, his coach will work on cutting out errors in his game, namely shot spilling, but I love his confidence on catch crosses , he's miles ahead already for me of Thuram!

Should bloody hope so!
  • Options
    I can't make my mind up over this fella. Two great saves against Rotherham last Saturday earned us a point. Tonight he didn't have much to do. At fault for first goal. Tried to parry when he should have dived. Stuck in between. Then lined up a wall with the three tallest fellas in the team plus Tony Watt. Guess what ? Ball gets curled over watts head and in the back of net. Don't think the free kick was that special. He is too inconsistent. How long can he keep making errors ? Our best keeper is currently at Cheltenham.
  • Options
    I think he has potential, however he needs to be somewhere that his potential can be slowly nurtured and that's got to be on loan at a lower league club for the next year or two. Nick Pope being our number one choice (right now) is helping neither party.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

I can't make my mind up over this fella. Two great saves against Rotherham last Saturday earned us a point. Tonight he didn't have much to do. At fault for first goal. Tried to parry when he should have dived. Stuck in between. Then lined up a wall with the three tallest fellas in the team plus Tony Watt. Guess what ? Ball gets curled over watts head and in the back of net. Don't think the free kick was that special. He is too inconsistent. How long can he keep making errors ? Our best keeper is currently at Cheltenham.

I'd suggest he's in the treatment room. Not for much longer, I hope. The question is whether the second best one isn't the one helping Alcorcon to an excellent start.

• Options
    Before that fella took the freekick you just knew it was going in and people would be saying when's Henderson back?

I think I'll do the lottery on Saturday....
  • Options
    Had his best game for us on Saturday but have said it before and will say it again - he will cost us points. I don't get a kick out of it because he is one of our own, but he isn't good enough to play week in and week out in the Championship as he has been during Henderson's injury.
  • Options
    People seem to forget and forgive the striker that misses the sitter. And amnesia strikes too with regards to the world class saves that this keeper made in the last match to save us a point.

I would also encourage all those who blame Pope for tonight's defeat to watch the goals again. Then tell me whether Fox should have made the tackle and whether Solly should have tracked the goalscorer for the first and also whether the wall jumped out of the way of the ball for the second.
  • Options
    He is one of the two weak links we have in our starting eleven let alone squad
  • Options
    It's a shame. I'm sure he will be a good goalkeeper one day. But until that day comes we can't keep putting him through this. We offered Brad Jones a grand a week. No wonder he went to Bradford.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't see that he was totally at fault for the first goal.

Having said that with Henderson playing I would have expected 5 more points.
  • Options
    He's a keeper, so every error he makes will cost us, unfortunately he makes errors far too often. The first goal was a huge cock up, not seen the 2nd one again so i'll reserve judgement. He also nearly threw away the 3 points against Hull with a stupid mistake, that's 2 goal costing errors in 8 league matches, without thinking of any others he may have gotten away with! He made a good few last year aswell, so it's not like he's just having a bad run.

Forget about the 'world class' saves he's made, they're not, they're good, solid saves but it's not as though he has 9 worldy games and then 1 poor game out of 10. He's simply not good enough, while he's in the side we'll struggle to make play offs. I'm not sure how the board didn't get another keeper done as a priority once Hendo was confirmed out for a while.
  • Options

People seem to forget and forgive the striker that misses the sitter. And amnesia strikes too with regards to the world class saves that this keeper made in the last match to save us a point.

I would also encourage all those who blame Pope for tonight's defeat to watch the goals again. Then tell me whether Fox should have made the tackle and whether Solly should have tracked the goalscorer for the first and also whether the wall jumped out of the way of the ball for the second.

Keepers are judged differently though and it's not particularly unfair to do so. Every goalkeeper who makes it professional is a good shot stopper as that is the one skill that gets them put in goal, the good ones can organise defenses, keep concentration for the whole game, strong in the air etc. Henderson can do those things and Pope can't (except good in the air), but basic concentration errors aren't acceptable. Maybe with time/games they will improve but whilst we are flirting with the playoffs we can't afford to deal with his growing pains.

Weaver made the odd great save, Elliot did, Hamer did, it's what most goalkeepers do.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Had his best game for us on Saturday but have said it before and will say it again - he will cost us points. I don't get a kick out of it because he is one of our own, but he isn't good enough to play week in and week out in the Championship as he has been during Henderson's injury.

How is he "one of our own" ?
  • Options
    Everyone makes mistakes in games it's just that some players keep making mistakes in most games if not every game......that's why certain players get singled out over others.......that's my theory anyway
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Its easy to have a pop at Pope, but the first goal has hammered downward, I doubt many keepers in our league would have done much better. as for the free kick some go in some dont.
    What does worry me is that in the second half they had another free kick, Pope was trying to organise the wall and not one of the 3 in the wall listened to him, he doesn't seem to have the authority required as a keep, he kinda shrugged his shoulders and waited for the shot.
    That said and done, he is still a Championship keeper.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Its easy to have a pop at Pope, but the first goal has hammered downward, I doubt many keepers in our league would have done much better. as for the ferric some go in some dont.
    What does worry me is that in the second half they had another free kick, Pope was trying to organise the wall and not one of the 3 in the wall listened to him, he doesn't seem to have the authority required as a keep, he kinda shrugged his shoulders and waited for the shot.
    That said and done, he is still a Championship keeper.

The shot that lead to the game was hit into the ground so bounced up, yes Pope should have been stronger but at the same time, it wasnt too dissimilar from the shot the Sheffield Wednesday player had in the Cup against us, although that shot deflected off of Morrison, Hamer was still going down and had to adjust to leap and palm it away which was one of the best saves I've ever seem

Had Pope kept the shot out last night it wouldnt have been much different to Hamer's save albeit without the deflection.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cafctom said:

He plays for Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

se9addick said:

cafctom said:

He plays for Charlton.
    So would the person that replaces him.
  • Options
    Yes........I know that...?

All I was saying that I don't get a good feeling out of criticizing one of our own players. Not sure what the point is you're getting at?
  • Options
    '

I'm sorry but I can't agree with any of this. to describe Pope's saves on Saturday as "world class" is ridiculous hyperbole. To describe something as world class there is an implication that only a very few keepers on the globe could have made the save: Gordon Bank's save against Pele in 1970 probably falls into that category. Pope's saves were good and nearly everyone has acknowledged that but most keepers throughout the football league will make equally good saves on quite a few occasions in any given season.

To try and excuse Pope by saying that defenders were also at fault in the build up to the goals misses the point. The goalkeeper is meant to be the last line of defence and he is allowed to use his hands. Almost by definition a goalkeeper is meant to do his job when the rest of the defence has failed to prevent the opposition getting a shot on target. Both of the goals last night were eminently saveable and I believe that a good confident Championship keeper such as Henderson would've saved both of them.

I have no wish to denigrate Pope and I hope both for Charlton's and his own sake that he makes the grade but at the moment he is not good enough.
  • Options
    As it happens, I am one of those that wants Hendo back in ASAP as I dont think Pope is quite at the level we need.

However, the save from the header on Saturday was, IMO, top, top notch.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Still think he perhaps could have claimed that corner against Rotherham (although I know most disagree). He is so unsure of himself now and that must be seeping its way into the back four and beyond. On numerous occasions last night he seemed to be in two minds when crosses came in. Not saying that it's all his fault or that he played worse than anyone else, but if we had a more assured stopper in there over these last two matches we'd probably be three points better off. The first goal is so important in so many of these league fixtures and one way or another we have to work to eradicate basic individual errors as one mistake means we are chasing the game and we completely lack the guile, know-how and creativity to break down stubborn teams once they're in the lead.
  • Options

Didn't see that he was totally at fault for the first goal.

Having said that with Henderson playing I would have expected 5 more points.

Pope's record so far:

clean sheet against QPR =0
    1 goal against Derby=0
    bottom left no chance
    Forest clean sheet=0
    Hull spilled close range shot
    we won so points cost=0
    Wolves 1st goal pin ball in front by defenders
    not clear cut
    2nd goal put in corner by le fondre, no chance=0
    Rotherham corner to blame with rest of defense=-1
    2 worldy save in same match= +1
    Huddersfield i would say he may of cost us a point=-1

Result is -1 point at worst because the Rotherham game and Huddersfield game
    should cancel each other out.

His record as a number 2 goalkeeper is decent.
    I must of missed the goals Henderson scored for us ?
    I hope Stephen Henderson is fit for selection soon and can stay injury free this time.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Interesting debate on Popey.
    Yes he has made errors (costly)...but honestly would anyone say he isn't a Championship quality keeper.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Interesting debate on Popey.
    Yes he has made errors (costly)...but honestly would anyone say he isn't a Championship quality keeper.

Yes, honestly I would say that.
  • Options
    Unless you watch every other champ keeper by what standards are you Judging ?
    Nick pope has made less mistakes than Rob Green this season and he's still rated
    in the top 5 English Keepers.