Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options

Greenie said:

Its easy to have a pop at Pope, but the first goal has hammered downward, I doubt many keepers in our league would have done much better. as for the free kick some go in some dont.

Got to pick you up on this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py4oFW28xNk&t=0m14s

You doubt many of the Championship goalkeepers would be able to stop this from being a goal (which is better)!? David de Gea or a League Two keeper in goal, that's very poor goalkeeping.

He tries to catch it, that in itself is an error as he wasn't in line with the shot, MOST Championship goalkeepers would be saving that I can say very confidently
    Disagree, the ball moved to Popes left after it was smashed into the ground, good strike.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Its easy to have a pop at Pope, but the first goal has hammered downward, I doubt many keepers in our league would have done much better. as for the free kick some go in some dont.

You doubt many of the Championship goalkeepers would be able to stop this from being a goal (which is better)!? David de Gea or a League Two keeper in goal, that's very poor goalkeeping.

He tries to catch it, that in itself is an error as he wasn't in line with the shot, MOST Championship goalkeepers would be saving that I can say very confidently
    Disagree, the ball moved to Popes left after it was smashed into the ground, good strike.
    I thought it went through him in real time and seeing these highlights he really ought to do better with it, however the move should have been halted with a decent challenge from Fox before the ball came in. I thought he was limping before the end of the game on Saturday so why was he played if carrying a knock? Play Lennon and or Bergdich down the left flank. Easy with hindsight but poor team selection IMO.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Silliness. Everyone apart from yourself can see that the ball went through Pope and he should have saved it.
    Many fans recognize that Pope has a weakness at stopping and certainly holding onto low shots.
    You do yourself and Pope no credit by denying, what we can all see.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Interesting debate on Popey.
    Yes he has made errors (costly)...but honestly would anyone say he isn't a Championship quality keeper.

Yes - he isn't a Championship 'keeper, but he could be one day.
  • Options
    Can't see Blackburn being easy for him, some costly errors there last season they will test him as much as possible. Hope he doesn't make any errors. It is more than errors though, confidence starts from the goalkeeper and when he doesn't have any himself it is only going to effect the side negatively.
  • Options
    More to blame for the 1st goal than i thought at the time.
    But less to blame for the 2nd as the wall was at fault for the second.
    The keeper job is to protect the part of the goal where the wall doesn't cover.
  • Options

More to blame for the 1st goal than i thought at the time.
    But less to blame for the 2nd as the wall was at fault for the second.
    The keeper job is to protect the part of the goal where the wall doesn't cover.

Its also the keepers job to line the wall up correctly. I was right behind it and it wasn't far enough over. There was a clear gap between the end of the wall and the post. I called it in the ground at the time and having seen it again I stand by the comment.

It was also further out than I thought and as such Pope's starting position was wrong.
  • Options
    I'm a live and let live, give 'em a break, they're only human sort of chap and even I think that first goal was a massive cock-up from Pope. Doesn't make him a bad keeper but let's call a spade a spade
  • Options
    His confidence must be shot .. he is not Championship standard .. Pope is good at 'reflex' keeping, poor when under pressure and having to 'decide what to do' .. He should not play at Blackburn .. the defence can have no confidence in him and the fans surely have even less .. give Mitov a go .. I just hope and pray that Henderson is back fully fit before much longer and before we lose even more points that we should be winning
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Popey, I am a big fan but you are making very basic errors and drinking in the last chance saloon.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

What does worry me is that in the second half they had another free kick, Pope was trying to organise the wall and not one of the 3 in the wall listened to him, he doesn't seem to have the authority required as a keep, he kinda shrugged his shoulders and waited for the shot.
    That said and done, he is still a Championship keeper.

That's probably because they have got no confidence in him either...........a good keeper not only makes saves but organizes his back four. I am sorry to say I am losing patience with him now.
  • Options
    Blackburn just bullied a goal from the keeper at QPR so we know what to expect for Pope on Saturday.
  • Options
    The more I see of him the more I think we should move him on. He has had a great opportunity to stake his place in the team and has failed. I think a lot of people are defending him because he is young, he looks a bit awkward, he has done well in the lower leagues etc. Quite honestly I think there are lots of other keepers that would come to us given the chance, one thing is for sure he will cost us more points than he will win us. I don't like knocking our players but from the first game of the season I thought he looked shit scared then.........his body language is terrible. Another reason to post this, is because I care about my team!
  • Options

Anyone defending him for the first goal is delusional. Awful goalkeeping. Did just about everything wrong.

I stand by my comment on the second. The wall was poorly lined up and he was too far over. He showed Hughes the gap.

Very lucky to get away with the parry which by-passed Scannell as well.

For the amount of games he's played for us he has way too many clangers on his CV.

Agree with all that. I want him to do well and won't overly criticise him because keepers always get the blame but at the moment I don't think he's Championship standard.
  • Options
    Don't feel confident with him - at fault for both goals last night.
  • Options
    Feel he should've got a hand to the 1st one.
  • Options
    You're too right he should have. Looked like he had his hands tied behind his back.
  • Options
    The bullies are on the prowl !!!
  • Options
    Can't say I saw Thuram make any clangers at the level of that first goal. That's how bad it was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is the best we have got at the moment and don't think he is doing as bad as some are saying,I for one hope we stick with him,I think he will keep getting better
  • Options
    He's a mixed bag. Elliot and Hamer used to cost us goals too but for different reasons. He's pulled off a couple of stunning saves in the last couple of games as well. He's still a kid - keepers didn't used to hit their peak until their 30s.
  • Options
    Sadly simply not good enough at the moment, far to many mistakes negate any good saves.

Must give the defence nightmares, hardly breeds confidence, hope Henderson back soon.
  • Options
    If a keeper reaches his peak in their 30's I'm sure we can wait at least another 6 years or so for Pope to peak.
    Jack buttland seems to be doing well.
  • Options
    I really hope that Pope proves all the doubters and myself wrong.
  • Options
    I was at the game on Tuesday and from where I was it wasn't so apparent how much he was at fault for both of their goals. From watching the extended highlights though, he obviously was and you just can't afford to have a liability at the back like that. It was his two early mistakes that, in my opinion, probably lost us the game. It gave us a two goal mountain to climb back from and that was never going to be easy. The problem is, that could happen any time with Pope when we are consolidating at the start of a game and that is a worry.

Like others have said, there is a good goalie in there somewhere but he keeps letting himself and the team down with crucial mistakes. Those are the facts I'm afraid and he is a liability because of that.
  • Options
    Gutted for him and us cos I really thought he'd make the grade with us (he may still do but the chances are less and less)
    He does come for crosses and is a good shot stopper but his handling/dealing with shots he should be pushing to safety or catching has been appalling most of the time he has been in the team
    He may have to go elsewhere to improve but he seems to have sort of voodoo over him when he plays for us
    Shame cos he's a nice fella but no room for sentiment in this game ( I still love you SCP)
    Move on
  • Options

Greenie said:

Its easy to have a pop at Pope, but the first goal has hammered downward, I doubt many keepers in our league would have done much better. as for the ferric some go in some dont.
    What does worry me is that in the second half they had another free kick, Pope was trying to organise the wall and not one of the 3 in the wall listened to him, he doesn't seem to have the authority required as a keep, he kinda shrugged his shoulders and waited for the shot.

The shot that lead to the game was hit into the ground so bounced up, yes Pope should have been stronger but at the same time, it wasnt too dissimilar from the shot the Sheffield Wednesday player had in the Cup against us, although that shot deflected off of Morrison, Hamer was still going down and had to adjust to leap and palm it away which was one of the best saves I've ever seem

Had Pope kept the shot out last night it wouldnt have been much different to Hamer's save albeit without the deflection.
    Turn it in. He should have saved that all day long. Watch the replay. Every pundit or article discussing the game referred to it as an "error" or "mistake". For good reason - it was.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Its easy to have a pop at Pope, but the first goal has hammered downward, I doubt many keepers in our league would have done much better. as for the ferric some go in some dont.

The shot that lead to the game was hit into the ground so bounced up, yes Pope should have been stronger but at the same time, it wasnt too dissimilar from the shot the Sheffield Wednesday player had in the Cup against us, although that shot deflected off of Morrison, Hamer was still going down and had to adjust to leap and palm it away which was one of the best saves I've ever seem

Had Pope kept the shot out last night it wouldnt have been much different to Hamer's save albeit without the deflection.
    Turn it in. He should have saved that all day long. Watch the replay. Every pundit or article discussing the game referred to it as an "error" or "mistake". For good reason - it was.
    How many of those were Goalkeepers though?
  • Options
    For me, it's in the grey area between 'decent save' and 'routine save'... has to be disappointed that he didn't get it. Hardly a Taibi or anything but would Hendo have saved it? Probably...