Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options
    I am a big Popey fan, but that was a bad error than almost cost us 2 points. Popey knows it.

I am reminded of the scene in We Were Soldiers, where Mel Gibson's character tells a radio operator who has made a serious error and called-in a bomb onto his own comrades:

"Now you forget about that one and carry on, you're the only thing that is keeping us alive out here"
  • Options
    I'm just SO glad we won yesterday, if we had drawn or even lost which was looking a possibility at the end, I think this thread would have gone into melt down. There is no doubt that this was a goalkeeping error and no it shouldn't happen at this level but I think NP is still fairly low on confidence. I still don't think HE himself believes he "belongs" in the first team, he looks so nervous to me. The shot he "spilled" would be fired into him time and time again (I hope!!) at the training ground and I'm sure he gathers it most of the time, but when he has time to see the shot coming he "looks" like he is going to spill it. Even the one he saved at his near post in the second half, he looked relieved!! and not confident as a run of the mill save which it was. The comment about criticizing other players missing in front of goal or miss placing passes I'm afraid goes with the territory of being a goalkeeper! Hero one minute and villain the next!!...............................................and believe me, I know from experience!!
    All we can do is give him our full support while he is in the team and hope he gets these mistakes out of his game. No doubt he is a talent but he needs to believe it himself, not just reading it on here (perish the thought!!!)

Anyway as other posts said, yesterday was a FANTASTIC result, I just wished the referee had shown "some common" at the end with "our Guy", great emotion from the manager!!!

COYR....................
  • Options

Yes we bought him, but for a GK to come through our academy is a wonderful thing. He's clearly a great talent as he bossed the lower leagues and at his age, to be playing champ football is very impressive. Henderson is made of glass and I'm glad we have 'one of our own' to back him up.

To be fair he didn't come through our academy really
  • Options
    From the match thread, I really do wonder if people know what the word scapegoat means on this forum? I get it when everyone has a poor game and someone blames Harriott/Fox or something then it's ridiculous but in this case it literally is on Pope to make a routine catch or parry out wide. Most League One/Two keepers are good shot stoppers as that is pretty much the main attribute of any keeper, it's the rest that decides whether you can step up and it is concerning about Pope as things like this costs us more points than we gain from his height.
  • Options
    so Pope made a mistake and It was 1-1 and some are condemning him

Gudmundsson is one on one with their goalie and fuffs his shot when he should have scored so denying us 2-0, few condemn him

all players make mistakes and Pope wasn't the only player making a mistake when Hull scored some of our defenders were like statues as Hayden stood in the same place to have 2 shots in as many minutes, the second resulting in the goal.
  • Options
    It is clearly different for a goalkeeper though, all players miss chances but not all goalkeepers should leave the doubt that he could fluff a shot at an important stage of a game.
  • Options
    Hamer used to get slaughtered everytime he made an error and there were calls for him to dropped after most games.

This isn't a Pope thing, just think goalkeepers are judged more harshly than other positions. Fox improved hugely over time after an injury to the #1 lets hope Pope does the same.
  • Options

One mistake. Yes it could have cost us but so could have JBG's miss when one on one and yet no comment on that. Goalkeepers are an easy target. Pope's handling was very good yesterday and his all round performance was good but one mistake and he's a poor keeper. Everyone on the pitch yesterday made a mistake yesterday, it happens, even to the best of them. If Pope was a disaster we wouldn't be sitting third with 8 points from 12.

But that is the lot of a keeper, from Gary Sprake through the years to Pope now. I thought Pope had an 8 for the game as a whole but the spill was monumental and not an isolated incident. Fortunately where his mistakes have led to goals we have not lost the game. How he comes back v Peterborough is going to be testimony to how he has matured. After the Derby error last year he was a nervous wreck, hopefully he will be stronger and more aware after this. I was pleased to see players talking him up after the goal yesterday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it will have helped that the goal wasn't conceded at the covered end and we went on to win the match.
  • Options
    Up until the mistake I was going to say that Henderson may not walk back into the Starting Line-Up.

What I will say though is that Pope after getting a knee in the face (when they scored) did well to bravely come out and collect the next ball into the box.

I know we'd have won without the mistake but just remember, without Pope going down for treatment (twice) there never would have been eight minutes of injury time
  • Options
    What actually happened? I got the impression he got the ball and then hurt himself, and that's when the goal was conceded. He was down and getting treatment for a bit afterwards.

I've been his biggest critic but I'm fairly confident with him in goal now and don't really feel the need to be too harsh on him after yesterday.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

What actually happened? I got the impression he got the ball and then hurt himself, and that's when the goal was conceded. He was down and getting treatment for a bit afterwards.

I've been his biggest critic but I'm fairly confident with him in goal now and don't really feel the need to be too harsh on him after yesterday.

Hernandez kicked the ball into the net and his knee hit Pope under the chin with the follow up
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Watch the highlights back on the CAFC YouTube channel. From the angle behind the goal, the shot takes a clear deflection off of Kashi's leg.

In that respect, Pope did well to get anything at all on the shot.
  • Options
    4 games against fancied opposition, 2 goals conceded. Claimed everything well that came into the box which must be great for the defence. Have not seen the goal back but I thought their player had loads of space on the edge of the box when our players were out on their feet, hit the post, ball came back to him and we had still not closed him down. Second shot was just inside the box and smashed very hard with Pope seeing it late. An error but not a massive one. More a defensive error to me. But ultimately we won, so I don't care anyway!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Pope had at least 4 players 3 yards in front of him and the shot looks like it took a deflection. He wouldn't have seen anything until the last possible moment so to get anything behind it was great keeping in my opinion.

If the shot had gone straight in in the above circumstances we'd be complaining about poor defending rather than keeping.
  • Options
    How old Is he serious question not a piss take
  • Options
    It's never Nick Pope's fault Even when it is. Debate over.
  • Options
    I part watched the Everton/City game and both goalies spilled the ball at least once from low hard shots, who were the goalies - Howard and Hart
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    markmc68 said:

It's never always Nick Pope's fault Even when it is isn't. Debate over.

Better for you?
  • Options

I part watched the Everton/City game and both goalies spilled the ball at least once from low hard shots, who were the goalies - Howard and Hart

This is why i wonder at times if some people every watch other games.

Both Jenkinson and cresswell had mares yesterday for the hammers ?

Both of them at fault for a number of goals, does that mean they are championship standard now ?

• Options
    Time will tell. I'd like him to succeed but I'm on the fence.
    Hope to be proved wrong.
    COYR and Popey
  • Options

From the match thread, I really do wonder if people know what the word scapegoat means on this forum? I get it when everyone has a poor game and someone blames Harriott/Fox or something then it's ridiculous but in this case it literally is on Pope to make a routine catch or parry out wide. Most League One/Two keepers are good shot stoppers as that is pretty much the main attribute of any keeper, it's the rest that decides whether you can step up and it is concerning about Pope as things like this costs us more points than we gain from his height.

Can't accept your logic. It's as much to expect a forward to make routine strike on target or pass a ball to a team mate rather than an opponent. The only difference between mistakes of strikers and goalkeepers is that strikers' mistakes don't lose games and forwards don't get "scapegoated" for a game lost through missed chances, it's just accepted as bad luck. Pope would have been scapegoated it seems by you for one unlucky moment where he didn't pull off a perfect move.

Pope was unlucky, it was a powerful volley a few feet off the ground and hardly a routine collect. He was within an inch of retrieving it and only because Fernandez followed up so close to Pope that he got the chance.

Think your'e underestimating Pope's other qualities, he makes more than routine stops and his game saving saves will outnumber any bloopers I predict.
  • Options

Howard got done at his near post as well. He also made the most saves ever recorded in a World Cup match last summer, so I suspect he's still a decent keeper despite that.
  • Options
    You would need hands made of Velcro, golden syrup and Bostick to hold on to Hayden's daisy cutter.

Got to push them away from danger but be fair on Popey, not many keepers would have held that.
  • Options
    For a keeper that played in goal for a non league team at 16 he clearly has ability.

23 years old still young for a keeper that could easily play until 39 or if you are Faryd Mondragon 43. I would like to hear the North stand singing

Charltons number 1

He is a confidence player you can see that and he has been really good in the games he has started this season. Ok he made a mistake. So what he is only human like the rest of keepers who make mistakes. It might be the only mistake he makes all season. He has won me over so far this season because he has given us 100% effort.

Henderson seems to have this shoulder problem unfortunately and Nick pope has stepped up to the plate with the backing of Luzon and has given our club a bloody good effort.

• Options

David De GEa, was rubbish for the first 2 seasons at Man United, he's not good enough, he's an accident waiting to happen, the United fans were saying.

In terms of this comment with Nick Pope you just know that if he were to go somewhere like Gillingham on a permanent basis and end up in the Premier League with them, the comments on this thread would instantly turn from how poor he was to how we should never have let him go and that RD was an idiot for selling!!
  • Options

Dean Kiely is the best keeper I've seen for Charlton in about nearly 30 years of watching Charlton

Really, I agree that he's a great shot stopper but we did call him Dracula as he hates crosses... In this respect Pope is already superior... Hmm?