Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Hamer's gone back to Leicester...
  • Options

Hamer's gone back to Leicester...

Dougie Freedman " Hamer gone back to train with Leicester because of the FFP
    rules we are trying to get it sorted before the weekend"

• Options
    Feel sorry for Forest... they get an fine for breaking FFP rules... Queens Park Rangers break the rules, go up to the Premier League and then come back down and get nothing
  • Options

Feel sorry for Forest... they get an fine for breaking FFP rules... Queens Park Rangers break the rules, go up to the Premier League and then come back down and get nothing

I don't feel sorry for Forest. They broke the rules. QPR will get theirs.

Will they?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I don't feel sorry for Forest. They broke the rules. QPR will get theirs.

Will they?
    Yeah, on Saturday.
  • Options
    I believe that QPR are in an arbitration with the Football League to resolve their dispute. Hopefully they'll lose - which I expect they would if it was allowed to run it's full course - and have to pay a very large fine. Settlement is perhaps a more likely scenario, given that the Premier League insisted that any award goes to charity, failing which, solidarity payments will be withdrawn from the Football League. Whatever transpires, QPR are in for some punishment - richly deserved - and maybe their more modest transfer policy this summer reflects a more realistic view of life.

I think Forest and their rich Kuwaiti owners should take one as well. A loss making club like theirs had a huge advantage being able to splash £1.5 million on Antonio and £5.5 million on the lad from Peterborough. The requisite majority of Championship clubs voted for these rules and they should bloody well abide by them. The fact that Brighton wimped out this year and voted for huge permissible losses next season is hugely regrettable but nothing to the point.
  • Options
    I agree. I thought he did well and I'm very pleased for him.
  • Options
    I've been negative about the pope before but after a much more assured performance on Saturday I'm more than happy to eat humble pie. Well done the pope
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did well on Saturday but his kicking/distribution needs so much work.
  • Options
    After last night I'm a little bit worried for Nick on Saturday. If you weren't at the game, there were at least three or four fairly comfortable catches that Pope spilt or fumbled and given that he had very little to do that must have accounted for about 50% of everything he had to deal with.

A better team, say Derby, will make us pay for mistakes like that and I really hope it was a one off as its a shame coming off the back of his great, assured performance against QPR.
  • Options
    The conditions last night were totally different to Saturday. He could have conceded more but he didn't.
    Keepers are far more exposed - look at Cech on Sunday. Arsenal won't be out looking for other options and neither should we. I remember Pope having a mare at Blackburn last season and then Bob Peeters loaned him out very soon afterwards. I've more confidence that Luzon will stand by him and trust that Pope will improve massively this year. We need a quality back up cos Henderson is injury prone. Hope Pope will stay and fight for the no. 1 spot.
  • Options

The conditions last night were totally different to Saturday. He could have conceded more but he didn't.
    Keepers are far more exposed - look at Cech on Sunday. Arsenal won't be out looking for other options and neither should we. I remember Pope having a mare at Blackburn last season and then Bob Peeters loaned him out very soon afterwards. I've more confidence that Luzon will stand by him and trust that Pope will improve massively this year. We need a quality back up cos Henderson is injury prone. Hope Pope will stay and fight for the no. 1 spot.

When you say "conditions" do you mean the weather ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yes. Low balls zipping off the surface in wet conditions are a nightmare for any keeper because it's harder to judge the pace. Ordinarily you might go forwards for the ball, but in those conditions you're less certain and more likely to spill it. If you let the ball come into the gloves then you're giving the opposition a split second more time, so you're caught between two stools
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Cech had 11 years at Chelsea and barely made an error. Even in the warm up, Pope looks uncertain . We all want him to come good, but I genuinely don't think he has the raw fundamentals at this level. I genuinely hope to be proven wrong
  • Options
    Personally I am happy to stick with Pope. He has potential to be a Prem Goalkeeper (with us). He needs the manager and fans to stick with him and build his confidence. He does need to work on his kicking though, hes obviously been watching tapes of Deano!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

se9addick said:

Cech had 11 years at Chelsea and barely made an error. Even in the warm up, Pope looks uncertain . We all want him to come good, but I genuinely don't think he has the raw fundamentals at this level. I genuinely hope to be proven wrong
    Think you're being a bit tough judging Nick Pope by Petr Cech's standards. Also goalkeeping is the most exposed job in the team.
    Pope has come on massively since Blackburn last year when he exposed himself (if I can get away with putting it like that!)
  • Options

se9addick said:

Yes. Low balls zipping off the surface in wet conditions are a nightmare for any keeper because it's harder to judge the pace. Ordinarily you might go forwards for the ball, but in those conditions you're less certain and more likely to spill it. If you let the ball come into the gloves then you're giving the opposition a split second more time, so you're caught between two stools
    But surely we need a goalkeeper who can handle when it drizzles ? I honestly don’t think the conditions last night were particularly challenging I’m sure we’ve all seen matches in far, far worse conditions.

I really want Pope to do well and I thought his shot stopping was excellent against QPR (his kicking wasn’t great but in the grand scheme of things I can live with that) but I’m not sure I share the optimism that others have for his career. Genuine question, what is it that makes people think he has the potential to be a Premier League goalkeeper ? Maybe the bigger stadiums in the top flight will protect his penalty box from the rain !
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

se9addick said:

Think you're being a bit tough judging Nick Pope by Petr Cech's standards. Also goalkeeping is the most exposed job in the team.
    Pope has come on massively since Blackburn last year when he exposed himself (if I can get away with putting it like that!)
    I was just responding to a post from someone else, in which Cech was mentioned; of course it is churlish to compare the two
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really hope our opinions aren't going to change from game to game.

Stick with him.
  • Options
    I expect Pope to be doing this whenever we are losing in injury time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33873951
  • Options
    se9addick said:

After last night I'm a little bit worried for Nick on Saturday. If you weren't at the game, there were at least three or four fairly comfortable catches that Pope spilt or fumbled and given that he had very little to do that must have accounted for about 50% of everything he had to deal with.

A better team, say Derby, will make us pay for mistakes like that and I really hope it was a one off as its a shame coming off the back of his great, assured performance against QPR.

catches? really? I can't remember him having difficulty with any catches. There were a couple of shots that zipped off the surface that he had to grab at the second attempt but catches, no.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Pope is going to be a very good keeper.

He commands his area and comes for crosses, a novelty amongst recent Charlton keepers who have tended to be better shot stoppers, yet showed on Saturday he can stop shots too.

His distribution from foot can improve but no less a luminary than Dean Kiely was capable of touch kicks that Dusty Hare and other England rugby full backs would be proud of!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    If you could combined Ben Hamer and Nick Pope, we would have the best or 2nd best keeper in England.
    Ben had a great kick, and shot stopper who flapped on crosses.
    Nick pope takes crosses very well,and is a good shot stopper
    but kicking needs to improve and the one main weakness is the low shot at his body. I said before the season started that the 1st 6 weeks when he would be number 1, that it would define his Charlton career, 50/50 i thought then, i hope he has the luck as well as the skill to come through.
  • Options
    OAndyHunt said:

Personally I am happy to stick with Pope. He has potential to be a Prem Goalkeeper (with us). He needs the manager and fans to stick with him and build his confidence. He does need to work on his kicking though, hes obviously been watching tapes of Deano!

You mention the kicking, I was there last night but didn't make it to many games through the last season, so watched Pope a little closer than I normally would based on comments on here. I thought generally last night his kicking was OK, there were 2 kicks that could have gone better, one in the first half where he came out of his area and kicked poorly under pressure to a member of their team - a better player would have taken a shot from the halfway line towards the empty net... the other poor kick was from an horrendous bouncing back pass from Sarr, again Pope was under pressure and he sliced his kick out for a throw.

The first bad kick he should have just booted deep into the stands for safety (in my opinion), but the second was simply not his fault, it was a terrible back pass and Sarr is lucky it didn't end up worse.

Agree that he fumbled a few saves, but in the conditions I don't think Henderson would have done any better (in fact I think he would be praised for the quick recovery after the fumble by some on here, with the fumble blamed on the conditions!)

Admittedly I can only base off the game last night, but reading some comments it would appear that we were lucky to win with Pope in goal last night.
  • Options
    He does a lot of things very well. Very good positionally and looks comfortable coming for a cross. His shot stopping is very good.

He also worries the life out of me because his distribution is woeful and last night he spilled every ball below waist height. One rebounding off his chest. Do that against a team in the Championship and it will cost us a goal.

He might well go on to be a very good keeper. I hope he does. At this moment he's not consistently good enough to play in the Championship.
  • Options

He does a lot of things very well. Very good positionally and looks comfortable coming for a cross. His shot stopping is very good.

He also worries the life out of me because his distribution is woeful and last night he spilled every ball below waist height. One rebounding off his chest. Do that against a team in the Championship and it will cost us a goal.

He might well go on to be a very good keeper. I hope he does. At this moment he's not consistently good enough to play in the Championship.

Maybe not to be the regular number 1, but a more than adequate number 2? we wouldn't for example be able to keep both Henderson and Hamer happy, in the same way we weren't able to hold on to Button as a number 2 for Hamer after the one season
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

Maybe not to be the regular number 1, but a more than adequate number 2? we wouldn't for example be able to keep both Henderson and Hamer happy, in the same way we weren't able to hold on to Button as a number 2 for Hamer after the one season
    I believe Button and Hamer was actually only part of a season to reinforce your point.
  • Options
    Pope let that shocker, through his body & legs against Derby last season.
    Bearing in mind he couldn't hold a shot below waist level last night, I would expect Derby to be shooting low at him on Saturday.