Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options
    EastStand said:

Feel he should've got a hand to the 1st one.

He did. Just not a strong enough one.
  • Options

The more I see of him the more I think we should move him on. He has had a great opportunity to stake his place in the team and has failed. I think a lot of people are defending him because he is young, he looks a bit awkward, he has done well in the lower leagues etc. Quite honestly I think there are lots of other keepers that would come to us given the chance, one thing is for sure he will cost us more points than he will win us. I don't like knocking our players but from the first game of the season I thought he looked shit scared then.........his body language is terrible. Another reason to post this, is because I care about my team!

Charlie, I remember your namesake letting onr through his legs. Now that was a "howler".
  • Options

For me, it's in the grey area between 'decent save' and 'routine save'... has to be disappointed that he didn't get it. Hardly a Taibi or anything but would Hendo have saved it? Probably...

I would say definitely.............
  • Options
    Sounds like he's having a great game today
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Sounds like he's having a great game today

SSSH your not supposed to tell when he plays well
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I don't like Pope as a goalie. He's potentially a nice guy but I don't know this.

He offers very little compared to most of our recent keepers.

(he is better than Thuram)
  • Options
    Well done Nick Pope for stopping a repeat of Watford last season.
    You've done a decent job of being a number 2.
  • Options
    If Nick Pope played a blinder, then I'm really pleased and congratulate him.
  • Options
    Pope played very well, commanded his area, didn't drop the ball and looked the competent young keeper that he is
  • Options
    That's good to know. Can we start to dig the defenders out now.
    I'm joking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's be honest we have bigger problems than the reserve keeper
  • Options
    Had a good game yesterday and would have been a heavier defeat not for him.

Hopefully yesterday will prove a springboard for him.
  • Options
    Made a couple of good saves today, but still dropped a couple of shots, can this sort of thing be eradicated from his game, it makes me nervous!
  • Options
    He seems decent with high balls, but really struggles to get down effectively
  • Options

Made a couple of good saves today, but still dropped a couple of shots, can this sort of thing be eradicated from his game, it makes me nervous!

It is shots that bounce in front of him that he seems to be the problem. I was standing behind his goal for some of second half and was surprised how uncertain he appeared for any long range shot. You could almost hear the sigh of relief when he held on to things.

I was also surprised that we not aware that it might happen and covering for it, given how regularly it has happened this season. The defence looked flat footed whilst Pope spilt the ball, as he has done on several occasions, to the on rushing Fulham players.
  • Options
    The Fulham players seemed to expect it more than our players that the ball may go lose. I think it called awareness.
  • Options
    Unfortunately it appears to be his hand to eye co-ordination when the ball skims off the turf or bounces in front of him. It can be improved with the right coaching but it clearly isn't natural for him.

At the moment, he is learning on the job and that is hardly ideal as it must now start to be feeling like a self fulfilling prophecy. For his own sake he needs to be taken out of the line of fire because, for every six excellent saves he does make, one fumble does result in a goal. And because we are incapable of scoring for fun it is that mistake that we all tend to focus on.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Those of us that went to the Dagenham League Cup game will recall he spilt three or four shots like the one today not forgetting the one of course v Hull. I said then that he would get punished with sharper forwards sniffing chances in the Championship. And so it has come to pass.

He's very good on claiming crosses and shots where he has to dive full length but bread and butter stuff low and straight at him is killing him. As the goalkeeping coach seems to have a problem keeping the ball down in the warm up we need the equivalent of a cricket bowling machine to keep firing the ball low and hard at him every day at the training ground :weary:

Do we have a machine at the training ground that fires a ball at the keeper?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It got fired
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Those of us that went to the Dagenham League Cup game will recall he spilt three or four shots like the one today not forgetting the one of course v Hull. I said then that he would get punished with sharper forwards sniffing chances in the Championship. And so it has come to pass.

He's very good on claiming crosses and shots where he has to dive full length but bread and butter stuff low and straight at him is killing him. As the goalkeeping coach seems to have a problem keeping the ball down in the warm up we need the equivalent of a cricket bowling machine to keep firing the ball low and hard at him every day at the training ground :weary:

I really don't know but if we haven't, I don't know what else to suggest :neutral:
  • Options

It got fired

Trust you to inflame the situation :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I really don't know but if we haven't, I don't know what else to suggest :neutral:
    JBG
  • Options
    the ball firer was allowed to go to Brighton unfortunately for us
  • Options
    There is such a machine that fires balls at goalkeepers. I watched a demonstration at one of the premier club's training ground. It can be set by the operator to perform all different types of shots and crosses. It apparently cost 100k. Cheaper to have a goalkeeping coach and assistants. Certainly not on Roly's radar.
  • Options
    It's getting a bit painful with these fumbles to watch , it isn't good enough no way

fairplay to Bauer who gave him a little gee up after his nightmare moment
  • Options
    We just can not keep gifting the opposition goals. If it was a defender making these mistakes he would have been dropped by now. We have inadequate cover in the keeping department. Mitov is not the answer too. An experienced goalkeeper is required right away if Henderson is still some way away from a return. Last season we went 13 games without a win and the same could happen this season. Pope ,as has been mentioned before has made over 100 league appearances and is 24 years old. Hardly makes him a rookie. Looks like a rabbit in the headlights.
  • Options
    The oppo are going to target Pope and I'm sure his confidence must be fragile. He almost let in a second in the first half from the shot the squirmed under him and it just puts us on the back foot.
    Parts of his game are good but this problem with low shots just continues. If the fans turn on him that'll be it for his Charlton career.
    Hope he sorts it out....