Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Credit where credit is due. From the sky highlights it would seem that pope had a great game today. If Henderson has thrown his toys out of the pram then it would do no harm for pope to have an extended run in the team. I have criticised pope before so I hold my hands up when he proves me wrong. Well done Nicholas.
  • Options
    Pope had an pretty good game, he's still young and he can hopefully improve.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a great championship keeper because he plays like a continental keeper and punches when he should be looking to catch. And sometimes his punches go wrong.

Too much maybe to expect him to command the area and direct the defence yet.
  • Options

he plays like a continental keeper and punches when he should be looking to catch.

We must have been watching different Popes!

• Options
    So long as he comes for those corners I dont care what he does to get the ball away...

Recently everyone (including Henderson) have just stood their motionless whilst the corner has been delivered
  • Options
    He's fine in a one-on-one. His kicking seems good. His catching is very suspect. But our defence as a whole struggles with crosses and so did Henderson, so it's not going to get any worse.
  • Options
    Pope did good on Saturday, so well done to him.

The thing I noticed most, was how much he has bulked up, since he last played. His top half is much bigger.
  • Options

Pope did good on Saturday, so well done to him.

The thing I noticed most, was how much he has bulked up, since he last played. His top half is much bigger.

Was just about to say the same thing. Watched him closely in the warm up and he seems much more assured than Henderson. Don't understand what goes wrong in games. Seeing a steady improvement though, both yesterday and against Colchester I thought he was decent. Every time a cross comes in, I still have my heart in my mouth though.
  • Options
    I think he would benefit with a sports psychologist (shrink) and also some dancing, yoga, or something else that could help his balance. He always looks SO awkward to me and almost frightened when the ball comes to him, especially when it is a long range shot and he has time to think about it. It looks sometimes he sees 2or 3 balls and goes for the wrong one!
    It is a real shame though I, like many on CL REALLY REALLY want him to do well and then he goes and throws a couple of 'dollys' in !?!?
  • Options
    PL debut coming on for injured Tom Heaton.
  • Options
    Bbc website

On comes Nick Pope in nets. Looks nervous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't let Palarse back in Nick.
  • Options
    Boy did well!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    reserves said:
    Starting for England tonight
    Big opportunity this week for him, be interesting to see who starts against Poland

With Pickford missing along with San Marino, and to an extent Albania coming up Southgate could effectively play all three Goalkeepers

Johnstone: San Marino
    Henderson: Albania
    Pope: Poland

Unfortunately there is little point of even having a Goalkeeper this evening

Its not like Pope will be able to show what he can do
  • Options
    Hope he gets a big move in the summer so we can get some extra cash from the sell on fee 
  • Options
    Hope he gets a big move in the summer so we can get some extra cash from the sell on fee 
    What percentage are we on do you know ?
  • Options
    reserves said:
    Big opportunity this week for him, be interesting to see who starts against Poland

With Pickford missing along with San Marino, and to an extent Albania coming up Southgate could effectively play all three Goalkeepers

Johnstone: San Marino
    Henderson: Albania
    Pope: Poland

Unfortunately there is little point of even having a Goalkeeper this evening

Its not like Pope will be able to show what he can do
    It's his kicking that will be under scrutiny today. I think everyone including Southgate knows that Pope is a more reliable keeper than Pickford, but Southgate wants someone who can pass out well and start moves. Pope will probably have a good few opportunities to be on the ball given that we'll have a lot of control so hopefully he'll show that he can play out and nail his place down
  • Options
    In a different thread, somebody said 20% of profit.
  • Options
    In a different thread, somebody said 20% of profit.
    Cheers, Muttley. Fingers crossed he gets a big summer move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he just needs to be alert for the first 7 seconds 
  • Options
    reserves said:

I don't think England have named the team yet
  • Options
    Just shows you how players can improve, I wonder who the goalie coach is at Burnley?
  • Options
    Sign the San Marino keeper up, a keeper who can save long shots  ;)
  • Options
    So glad for Pope. He's not a world class keeper by any stretch, but neither are any of the other England keepers and I think he's actually the best of the bunch. Pickford is bang average