Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope and Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Pickford is an accident waiting to happen .  Unfortunately it’s a poor era of England keepers; Johnstone is the best, for me but totally unproven of course . Dave Seaman the only genuinely top notch English goalkeeper of my lifetime.  
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Are we relying on Pope to be sold this summer to balance the books and add some real bite to our recruitment. Will Thomas invest or is he going to be very logical and cautious? He is an inventor after all I don't think he will spend much. Hope I'm wrong though.
    You are wrong, we’re not relying on it whatsoever.

If Pope leaves Burnley, it will only be a bonus to us. If he goes for £30mil, for example, we would be entitled to around £7-8mil.

Sandgaard and the recruitment team will be going for it this summer, but I don’t think anyone should expect us to be splashing the cash.

A better and clever way of bringing in talent needed is going to happen.

If the right player becomes available, Sandgaard will spend. 
    Roland will claim the sell on. He sold him and will claim first dibs.
    Surely Roland is a land and building owner only now. None of his business with sell-on fees anymore. 
    If there is a sell on he could claim it was hee who agreed on the sale and therefore the clause should pay him as he or his representative signed it. 
    No chance, as otherwise all ex chairman who had sold a player would be doing the same thing. It would only work if he put it in the sale contract like he did at Liege, but that's (supposedly) illegal here. 
     Is it though. After all it is about a sale and returns etc. You owned it, you sold it. 
    Roland owned the club and profits from that time could be his. Otherwise why have a sell on clause, to benefit  others.
    Yes, the club owned Nick Pope, like they do all players, not Roland. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Are we relying on Pope to be sold this summer to balance the books and add some real bite to our recruitment. Will Thomas invest or is he going to be very logical and cautious? He is an inventor after all I don't think he will spend much. Hope I'm wrong though.
    You are wrong, we’re not relying on it whatsoever.

If Pope leaves Burnley, it will only be a bonus to us. If he goes for £30mil, for example, we would be entitled to around £7-8mil.

Sandgaard and the recruitment team will be going for it this summer, but I don’t think anyone should expect us to be splashing the cash.

A better and clever way of bringing in talent needed is going to happen.

If the right player becomes available, Sandgaard will spend. 
    Roland will claim the sell on. He sold him and will claim first dibs.
    Surely Roland is a land and building owner only now. None of his business with sell-on fees anymore. 
    If there is a sell on he could claim it was hee who agreed on the sale and therefore the clause should pay him as he or his representative signed it. 
    No chance, as otherwise all ex chairman who had sold a player would be doing the same thing. It would only work if he put it in the sale contract like he did at Liege, but that's (supposedly) illegal here. 
     Is it though. After all it is about a sale and returns etc. You owned it, you sold it. 
    Roland owned the club and profits from that time could be his. Otherwise why have a sell on clause, to benefit  others.
    The sell on clause is to benefit the club, not the current owner. If the owner wants to benefit from certain sell on fees then they’ll have to continue to own the club. 
  • Options
    He has been left out of Southgate's bigger squad . Obviously Gareth doesn't want to take the risk .
  • Options
    Would have saved one of the France goals which knocked us out of the World Cup. Absolute bargain for Newcastle.
  • Options
    Pope's star jump saves, remind me of Peter Schmeichel but his saves with his feet, like the one to Nketiah's shot late on last night, are somewhat reminiscent of a keeper from a much earlier era, Pat Jennings, who was the master of doing just that. 
  • Options
    Would have saved one of the France goals which knocked us out of the World Cup. Absolute bargain for Newcastle.
    Was it ever stated how much he got sold for?
  • Options
    Pope has the chance in his next match to break the all time record for clean sheets for Newcastle. He currently shares it at six and must be hoping that he either gets the chance against Sheffield Wednesday in the Cup with a full strength defence or, if that isn't the case, that he is saved for the home fixture against Fulham in the PL. 

Either way, it is interesting to read how highly rated he is by the Newcastle fans not just in terms of this achievement but the improvement in his distribution, how quick he is off the line and that he rarely makes a mistake for them (although he did for England). I'm not going to cut and paste all the comments but the most recent comments from page 48 onwards are the most pertinent ones:

https://newcastle-online.org/topic/37349-nick-pope/page/48/
    Interesting in here that Rob Lee’s name is also thrown in the mix. 
  • Options
    Pope has the chance in his next match to break the all time record for clean sheets for Newcastle. He currently shares it at six and must be hoping that he either gets the chance against Sheffield Wednesday in the Cup with a full strength defence or, if that isn't the case, that he is saved for the home fixture against Fulham in the PL. 

Either way, it is interesting to read how highly rated he is by the Newcastle fans not just in terms of this achievement but the improvement in his distribution, how quick he is off the line and that he rarely makes a mistake for them (although he did for England). I'm not going to cut and paste all the comments but the most recent comments from page 48 onwards are the most pertinent ones:

What, no Newcastle keeper has ever kept more than 6 clean sheets?? That can’t be right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

What, no Newcastle keeper has ever kept more than 6 clean sheets?? That can’t be right.
    Shay Given kept 113-clean sheets

Stat must be six clean sheets in a row
  • Options
    If only we hadn't sold him!
    Great to see him doing well.
    Hope it continues. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Shay Given kept 113-clean sheets

Stat must be six clean sheets in a row
    It is. In all comps.
  • Options
    Hope it continues. 
    Has done far better than I expected - ironed out some of the faults he had at Charlton.

Seems better at club than international level.
  • Options
    Got to be one of the buys of the season
  • Options
    Hope it continues. 
    Has done far better than I expected - ironed out some of the faults he had at Charlton.

Seems better at club than international level.
    Does not really have much opportunity at international level. That said the shot that caught him out was very typical of the weakness he had at the Valley, which looked like Dyche had ironed out at Burnley.
  • Options
    It was never disclosed how much we got form the Burnley sell on.....everyone saying TS has put in 11 million but how much did we get for Pope sale

• Options
    So Pope did break the all time Newcastle record for consecutive clean sheets tonight with his 7th in a row. It's quite remarkable to reflect that the lad who took so much stick from some sections of our fans when making the sort of mistakes a young keeper is always likely to make has conceded just 11 goals and had 13 clean sheets in his 21 appearances this season.

The hope is that a bit of slack is given to AMB as and when he makes the same sort of mistakes, as he will inevitably do, in learning his craft. Pope didn't make his debut for us until he was 22. AMB was 23 when he did so this season. That age, in goalkeeping terms, is still very young.
    Football fans will never learn.

Pope did look very nervous in his first few games for us. AMB hasn't been suffering the same kind of jitters so I doubt will attract the same criticism, unjustified or otherwise.

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    It was never disclosed how much we got form the Burnley sell on.....everyone saying TS has put in 11 million but how much did we get for Pope sale

I thought at the time it was reported around a million, which we all laughed at.

The mistake Pope made in his last England Game was very similar to the ones he was making in his first games for Charlton, the ball bouncing just in front if him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And that was probably nerves as well 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Popewatch:

He takes his record run of consecutive clean sheets to nine thanks to the well organised defence in front of him and one superb, instinctive save of his. Similar to the Arsenal one, which was with his feet, in the sense that it was the save that made the difference between defeat and a point.
    Make that TEN consecutive games without conceding a goal for Pope following Newcastle's 1-0 win at Southampton. He also has the most clean sheets of any keeper from the top five Leagues in Europe. 
  • Options
    Would have beaten France in the World cup with him in goal.  I said it at the time.  Mental how little Newcastle paid, this weird fascination PL clubs have with keepers and their distribution.  Give me one who keeps the ball out of the net and guarantees clean sheets galore any day for me. 

I think either Pope or Ramsdale will get the new number one slot soon. Its good competition.

Pickford didn't have a bad world Cup? He's a great keeper for both club and Country.

If pope was in goal we certainly still would have lost to France!
  • Options
    10 consecutive clean sheets. 16 in 24 games this season, the most in the big leagues across Europe.
  • Options
    He looks he looks colossal - staggering improvement in only 6-7 seasons . 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Would have beaten France in the World cup with him in goal.  I said it at the time.  Mental how little Newcastle paid, this weird fascination PL clubs have with keepers and their distribution.  Give me one who keeps the ball out of the net and guarantees clean sheets galore any day for me. 

I think either Pope or Ramsdale will get the new number one slot soon. Its good competition.

Pickford didn't have a bad world Cup? He's a great keeper for both club and Country.

If pope was in goal we certainly still would have lost to France!
    Pope would have saved France's first goal no doubt at all. His extra length (and ability) would have got him there.