Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Stadium - Please sign the NEW PETITION

Comments

• Options
    I emailed in to the GLA and got this reply.
    it only took a moment, but I would think that if enough of us bombarded them, the authority might think this was a live issue.
    Note especially the bit near the end that says:

The Committee has written again to LLDC requesting details of the agreement but I understand LLDC is reluctant to release any more details on the grounds of commercial sensitivities.

Commercial sensitivities, I bet there are commercial sensitivities, and I note that they are not now using the excuse of 'national security'.

Dear (Seth Plum)

Thank you for your email.

To provide some background information, West Ham’s contract for the Olympic Stadium is between West Ham United Football Club Ltd and the E20 Stadium LLP (a partnership between the London Legacy Development Corporation and London Newham Council). The London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) is the organisation which is responsible for the redevelopment of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

A member of the public did submit an FOI for the contract and LLDC has published it, albeit it a heavily redacted version as you say (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/west_ham_united_olympic_stadium_2).

Since then the London Assembly, for whom I work as Scrutiny Manager for budget and performance, has requested several times for the full details of the contract to be disclosed, but to date it has been unsuccessful in its efforts. This topic was discussed again recently at the July meeting of the Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee. The details and papers for that meeting can be accessed here: http://www.london.gov.uk/media/assembly-press-releases/2015/07/olympic-stadium-hammers-public-purse. The Committee has written again to LLDC requesting details of the agreement but I understand LLDC is reluctant to release any more details on the grounds of commercial sensitivities.

If you have further questions I would suggest you send them directly to LLDC who will be better placed to advise you.

Kind regards,

Lucy

Lucy Pickering

Scrutiny Manager- Budget and Performance

LONDONASSEMBLY I Scrutiny & Investigations I Secretariat

Greater London Authority, City Hall, The Queen’s Walk, London, SE1 2AA

t: 020 7983 5770

e: lucy.pickering@london.gov.uk

Visit the London Assembly website: www.london.gov.uk/assembly

Follow us on Twitter: @LondonAssembly
    Follow us on Facebook: London Assembly

• Options
    Personally, i hope Wham get shafted - couldnt happen to a nicer club - apart from Spanners . I would celebrate more if Wham got relegated than Millwall though at the moment.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I emailed in to the GLA and got this reply.
    it only took a moment, but I would think that if enough of us bombarded them, the authority might think this was a live issue.
    Note especially the bit near the end that says:

The Committee has written again to LLDC requesting details of the agreement but I understand LLDC is reluctant to release any more details on the grounds of commercial sensitivities.

Commercial sensitivities, I bet there are commercial sensitivities, and I note that they are not now using the excuse of 'national security'.

Dear (Seth Plum)

Thank you for your email.

To provide some background information, West Ham’s contract for the Olympic Stadium is between West Ham United Football Club Ltd and the E20 Stadium LLP (a partnership between the London Legacy Development Corporation and London Newham Council). The London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) is the organisation which is responsible for the redevelopment of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

A member of the public did submit an FOI for the contract and LLDC has published it, albeit it a heavily redacted version as you say (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/west_ham_united_olympic_stadium_2).

Since then the London Assembly, for whom I work as Scrutiny Manager for budget and performance, has requested several times for the full details of the contract to be disclosed, but to date it has been unsuccessful in its efforts. This topic was discussed again recently at the July meeting of the Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee. The details and papers for that meeting can be accessed here: http://www.london.gov.uk/media/assembly-press-releases/2015/07/olympic-stadium-hammers-public-purse. The Committee has written again to LLDC requesting details of the agreement but I understand LLDC is reluctant to release any more details on the grounds of commercial sensitivities.

If you have further questions I would suggest you send them directly to LLDC who will be better placed to advise you.

Kind regards,

Lucy

Lucy Pickering

Scrutiny Manager- Budget and Performance

LONDONASSEMBLY I Scrutiny & Investigations I Secretariat

Greater London Authority, City Hall, The Queen’s Walk, London, SE1 2AA

t: 020 7983 5770

e: lucy.pickering@london.gov.uk

Visit the London Assembly website: www.london.gov.uk/assembly

Follow us on Twitter: @LondonAssembly
    Follow us on Facebook: London Assembly

Excuse my ignorance of London governmental arrangements as it's all changed since I left but isn't it the role of the Assembly to oversee the Mayors Office? If that's the case then with the LLDC being formed and chaired by the Mayor how the hell can they claim to be meeting their remit if Boris just tells them to 'bog off' if they ask for an unredacted copy of the agreement?
  • Options
    The LLDC website is all about :

(London Legacy Development Corporation)

http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/our-story/the-legacy-corporation/the-board

This is the board.
    An email to each of them might be fruitful.

• Options

(London Legacy Development Corporation)

http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/our-story/the-legacy-corporation/the-board

This is the board.
    An email to each of them might be fruitful.

Good shout Seth........
    Here is someone........Keith Edelman

Keith was formerly the Managing Director of Arsenal Holdings plc and was instrumental in the development of the Emirates Stadium and the attendant regeneration of the surrounding area including the development of Highbury Square.
    seth plum said:

The LLDC website is all about :neutral:

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I have emailed Baroness Tanni Grey Thompson (a member of the LLDC board) at the Houses of Parliament asking why the secrecy. I will let you know if she replies, and what she says.
  • Options
    Sent earlier today
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Thanks. I assumed it was a fan piece, as I didn't think even The Standard would have a reporter with such a poor grasp of grammar and punctuation!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Jeff Powell,Martin Samuels and so many more are Hammers,
    In the days of Fleet street, The Nepotism with journo's Photographers, and print workers was rife. and lots of these guys came from the east end, who then moved out to Essex. So the hammers won't be short of support in the press.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but my friend's son writes for the Mailonline and did this article on the OS and WH. No revelations but interesting and balanced.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3186847/West-Ham-goalposts-corner-flags-running-costs-paid-taxpayer-Olympic-Stadium.html
  • Options
    There are also loads of Spurs and Liverpool fans in the media, but that's not exactly surprising.
    No, I won't be signing the petition as I don't think you need my vote to get your enquiry anyway.
    And while I can understand why you are doing it, I don't quite buy all this freedom of information and concern for the taxpayers' money bollocks.
    This is mainly getting the attnetion it does because another football club is involved, one you don't want to do well because they may benefit from this move.
    West Ham have admittedly been incredibly lucky with the location of the OS at their doorstep and the circumstances which gave them the opportunity to negotiate a good deal. West Ham used their strong negotiating discussion as your club would have done in exactly the same way, Charlton Athletic would not have said "Hang on a minute, is this fair on the taxpayer ? Sod it, here's another 50 million!" Your owners/board would have done exactly the same.
    So try to throw as many spanners in the works as you want and can, fair enough. But don't pretend you have suddenly felt your heartstrings moan about taxpayers' money being wasted.
    It's a very selective effort, your government is wasting much bigger amounts in other projects (military equipment and the like) that dwarfs the amounts we're talking about with regard to the OS, a project that by the way will be earning money from West Ham being there in the long run, not losing it.
    I don't hear a lot about any petitions with regard to other projects where taxes are being wasted.
    Let's call it what it is: This is purely and simply tribalism. Unfair advantage over other teams ?
    We already have that with the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City and PSG. No petitions there either.
    But I'm looking forward to seeing your enquiry go underway and what it may or may not achieve.
  • Options

There are also loads of Spurs and Liverpool fans in the media, but that's not exactly surprising.
    No, I won't be signing the petition as I don't think you need my vote to get your enquiry anyway.
    And while I can understand why you are doing it, I don't quite buy all this freedom of information and concern for the taxpayers' money bollocks.
    This is mainly getting the attnetion it does because another football club is involved, one you don't want to do well because they may benefit from this move.
    West Ham have admittedly been incredibly lucky with the location of the OS at their doorstep and the circumstances which gave them the opportunity to negotiate a good deal. West Ham used their strong negotiating discussion as your club would have done in exactly the same way, Charlton Athletic would not have said "Hang on a minute, is this fair on the taxpayer ? Sod it, here's another 50 million!" Your owners/board would have done exactly the same.
    So try to throw as many spanners in the works as you want and can, fair enough. But don't pretend you have suddenly felt your heartstrings moan about taxpayers' money being wasted.
    It's a very selective effort, your government is wasting much bigger amounts in other projects (military equipment and the like) that dwarfs the amounts we're talking about with regard to the OS, a project that by the way will be earning money from West Ham being there in the long run, not losing it.
    I don't hear a lot about any petitions with regard to other projects where taxes are being wasted.
    Let's call it what it is: This is purely and simply tribalism. Unfair advantage over other teams ?
    We already have that with the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City and PSG. No petitions there either.
    But I'm looking forward to seeing your enquiry go underway and what it may or may not achieve.

Yet again, playing the victim.

This isn't about West Ham's wrongdoing (although I suspect otherwise based on the reticence to be transparent) - any organisation would try their very hardest to get the best financial deal possible. This is about wrongdoing at worst, incompetence at best, by government appointed and elected custodians of public money being cavalier with my money, your money, anyone else who has paid tax's money. There is also a general principle of private companies operating based on free and fair competition without government intervention favouring one or more at the expense of others. On that point, not only should there be transparency - forced by public demand if necessary, but also perhaps a close look at the deal by the competition authorities and the National Audit Office.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited August 2015
    What about.

What about.

What about.
  • Options
    How much did the 02 (Millennium Dome) cost? and what did the government sell it for? I think the government is trying to avoid a similar fiasco.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    GEE - wie geht's ?

So you are a St Pauli fan who also much enjoys local league football. Basically, what you're really concerned about is that WHU are about to become a copy of the hated HSV. Tell you what - one weekend when the fixtures are kind and you can catch a game at The Valley as well, I'll get you a ticket, you can meet some of us on here and we'll show you a real South London match-day.

It would be our privilege, so - what have you got to lose ??

MfG - GHF (Alan)

• Options

Your input has been first class so far and worthwhile reading. You now sound like a spoilt kid who is no longer getting his way.

Pity.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Your input has been first class so far and worthwhile reading. You now sound like a spoilt kid who is no longer getting his way.

Pity.
    I was just thinking the same thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hex said:

stonemuse said:

Pity.
    I was just thinking the same thing.
    Ditto

• Options

Sorry if this has already been posted, but my friend's son writes for the Mailonline and did this article on the OS and WH. No revelations but interesting and balanced.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3186847/West-Ham-goalposts-corner-flags-running-costs-paid-taxpayer-Olympic-Stadium.html

No offence but can one believe the M.O.L.?
  • Options
    Sorry, had a bit of a bad day, so sometimes I get the hump which then creeps its way into my posts resulting in me doing the spoilt child routine, I'm only human too after all. I still don't know how exactly a court would determine what a fair deal is and if they would renegotiate or rewrite a deal between the LLDC and West Ham on behalf of the taxpayer. I maintain though that if this wasn't a football realted issue we wouldn't hear quite so much concern for taxpayers' money and how it is being used or misused.
    I assume that invitation to watch Charlton is a joke. My visits to London these days are few and far between, so I would always plan my stay around a West Ham game. I'm generally an open person, have also been to watch Orient play Shrewsbury once.
    But going south of the river ? I'm not sure I could feel at ease there.
  • Options
    GermanEastEnder accuses everyone of sour grapes yet he is the one now playing the victim..!!
  • Options

Sorry, had a bit of a bad day, so sometimes I get the hump which then creeps its way into my posts resulting in me doing the spoilt child routine, I'm only human too after all. I still don't know how exactly a court would determine what a fair deal is and if they would renegotiate or rewrite a deal between the LLDC and West Ham on behalf of the taxpayer. I maintain though that if this wasn't a football realted issue we wouldn't hear quite so much concern for taxpayers' money and how it is being used or misused.
    I assume that invitation to watch Charlton is a joke. My visits to London these days are few and far between, so I would always plan my stay around a West Ham game. I'm generally an open person, have also been to watch Orient play Shrewsbury once.
    But going south of the river ? I'm not sure I could feel at ease there.

No, my friend, it's a genuine offer. As for feeling ill at ease, we gave up eating stray visitors after the first McDonald's opened; also, once a fortnight someone drops off a pallet or two of Becks to keep us docile.

In case you are still sceptical, may I refer you to the discussion on here from last March - Search FC Carl Zeiss Jena vs FC Union Berlin match thread.It's all good.

• Options
    Good post Grapevine. It's still difficult to sort out this competitive balance. So you might have to gather reliable and trustworthy figures regarding the running costs from other Premier League clubs. There are still differences between the clubs, so which club would be your guideline for determining a fair rent ?
    It is obvious that the government in order to rent out a public asset to a private company would need to make it financially attractive for the private company, otherwise they would simply fail to find an interested party to move there.
    It's true, political will can change. As for your idea the area might be needed for house building by alla ccounts we have a signed contract for a 99 year between the LLDC and West Ham, if either party wants to end the contract prematurely I seem to remember there is a clause in the deal calling for hefty penalty fees in that instance.
    So if the government decided they need the area for a different project they would need to compensate West Ham. On the other hand the political will may simply decide to need some urgent money in 15 or 20 years at which point West Ham (under new ownership) might get an offer to buy the whole stadium outright, who knows ?
    It surely will be interesting to see how this one develops. I don't see much good coming off this.
    As ultimately someone will end up feeling incredibly disappointed. I have no idea which party it's going to be, but I very much doubt there will be a solution everyone can be happy with...
  • Options
    Very good post @Grapevine49

I'd argue one point. You say "...what commercial landlord plans to spend large sums of money for the next tenant?"

You're right, but I'd say that the next tenant would be looking at their own fit-out costs to get their new home "fit for purpose". I'm helping a large client do something similar at the moment and I am sure they would be delighted if they were only stumping up c.5.5% of that cost.

You'd expect some sort of initial rent rebate, although I'm not sure WHam can get much more of a discount here, but not such a low initial outlay. It is, after all, being converted specifically for football/WHam.

As for the sell off of the Boleyn Ground, unlike the handover of Maine Road to the local council, this was at least an opportunity for the GLA & Newham to insist on the developer, for once, meeting Boris' minimum levels of "affordable housing". They've already failed that one as well!!