Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Callum Harriott - loaned to Colchester

Comments

• Options

Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

Get him back . We have nobody else to play on the left and this loan spell has served its purpose

Bergdich, McAleny, Moussa and Ceballos?
    @Scoham -really? I normally respect your footballing judgment on here but am seriously struggling with this. Since when have any of those delivered what Callum has at Charlton in the first team? Don't see any of them having scored five in two games at Championship level yet or much chance of it in the near future...

Somewhat disingenuous to only comment on his 2 best games & none of the others where he was in the main poor.

Also, the Blackpool game, although technically a Championship Team, were marooned at the bottom of the league and were middle League 1 level at best.
    Blackpool were 20th that season.
  • Options
    IA said:

Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

Get him back . We have nobody else to play on the left and this loan spell has served its purpose

Bergdich, McAleny, Moussa and Ceballos?
    @Scoham -really? I normally respect your footballing judgment on here but am seriously struggling with this. Since when have any of those delivered what Callum has at Charlton in the first team? Don't see any of them having scored five in two games at Championship level yet or much chance of it in the near future...

Somewhat disingenuous to only comment on his 2 best games & none of the others where he was in the main poor.

Also, the Blackpool game, although technically a Championship Team, were marooned at the bottom of the league and were middle League 1 level at best.
    Blackpool were 20th that season.
    Good point. However, as many on here will tell you. You should never let the facts get in the way :smile:
  • Options

Something that most of you are blatantly missing is that he's currently playing on the left of a front 3. Their formation is 4-3-3 which is the same formation we played when he scored 5 in 2 games under Riga.

Unfortunately Luzon seems set on a 4-4-2 which Callum doesn't play as well in. Seeing as we literally have no decent left midfielder I'd love it if we changed to 4-3-3 and bring Callum back but I think Luzon is a one trick pony and won't change.

Under Riga we played the most attractive attacking football I've seen for years at Charlton. Most teams in the PL play 4-3-3 so why can't we...and get Callum back to play a major part of it?

Perfect for when Riga returns after Luzon becomes Roland and Katrien's latest scapegoat then.
  • Options

Just scored again for Colu

CAFCdamo said:

Just scored again.

The kids on fire, he can't stop scoring!

• Options
    His potential fee increasing game by game.

Don't see him coming back to play for us as things stand.

Wigan, Bradford or even Colchester will offer something and with his contract up in the summer we'll take it.

Or he could just hang on and go for nothing in the summer.

Ditto Pigott.
  • Options

He must be recalled as soon as his loan period agreement allows for it. He went away to find form and confidence, it seems that he's found both. He is OUR player and is every much a gem from the academy as are Gomez, Cousins, Fox or any other youth to first teamer of recent vintage. We need an attacker down the left hand side, Harriott is also useful and enthusiastic in getting back and helping out the defence.
    My only caveat is some of our 'fans'. There is a strong anti Harriott element amongst them. Cousins and Solly can have the odd stinker and it's all 'they're one of our own, gawd bless 'em' .. whereas Harriott makes a fuck up and he's the devil incarnate. Give the man a chance folks, at this point in time .. WE NEED HIM TO BE LOVED and we need a change, a breath of fresh air to improve our woeful attack and midfield.

Spot on. He does seem to get a raw deal from our fans compared to other academy products.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ross1 said:

Ask yourself, if you were Callum, would you play better at Charlton (where many supporters get on your back and you are messed around in positions when you play) or Colchester, (where the fans love him and he is playing regularly

Charlton in the Championship - Tougher opposition, stand out less.
    OR
    Colchester in League One - Easier teams to play against, stand out more.

I'd take Championship as I like to test myself against higher standards at work.

I understand your point but sometimes it's about having pride in what you do and not trying to be the Super:star: all the time. Why be a big fish in a small pond, when you can be a normal fish in a normal pond or a normal fish excelling in a normal pond?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Way things are going Callum could be playing for Colchester in the Championship next season.

They started poorly but brought in Sordel, Garven and Harriot and since then have shot up the table.
  • Options
    Yes I remember that other famous Charlton scapegoat, Kevin Lisbie, playing for Colchester in the Championship, running our defence ragged and scoring their two goals in a 2-1 defeat for us at The Valley.

As the song (Where Have All The Flowers Gone) goes when will we ever learn when will we ever learn?
  • Options
    Harriot had enough chances to make himself a first team regular.

2012/2013: Brilliant end to the season in his brakeout year.
    2013/2014: Terrible season until last Six matches under Riga
    2014/2015: Squad player at best.
    Now: On form to a lower league team.

I do not think Harriot is the answer but we could do with some variation in the attacking area.

My only worry is that when he returns he will have the expectation of carrying on this form in a poorly performing side.

I reckon he will have returned in time for the Reading match.

• Options
    He deserves another chance.
  • Options

He can't have one with us until January though!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

He can't have one with us until January though!
    Another great piece of management business! We are short of left sided players so we let one go for 4 months without recall.
  • Options
    League one player end of.plus we still have a few more league one players in the team table dont lie.
  • Options
    If you're a "league one player", does that mean you play in league one and rip up the league?

Does that mean all the players playing in league one who aren't scoring every game are league two players?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you're a "league one player", does that mean you play in league one and rip up the league?

Does that mean all the players playing in league one who aren't scoring every game are league two players?

Some must be worse than that, which is where it gets complicated...
  • Options
    Riping up the league good for him so hope he stays there.
  • Options
    let's hope he doesn't over ripen it.
  • Options

cazo said:

League one player end of.plus we still have a few more league one players in the team table dont lie.

A team of League One players finished 9th in the Championship under CP.
    SCP if you don't mind.
  • Options
    I went to the Col U game last night and was sitting behind Damian Matthew. Callum was strutting around with an air of confidence that I hadn't seen from him before. His pace caused problems for Bradford early in the game. Callums goal came with a run on the left, cutting in on the edge of the box and shooting. The shot wasn't that powerful but the ball went in under the body of Brad Jones, who couldn't get down quick enough. Callum played quite well but gave the ball away a few times early On. I thought Sordell looked too good to be playing at that level.
  • Options
    Sordell has a lot of ability, it is a mystery as to how he has ended up in Div 1, having played in the Prem last year for Burnley.

Harriot is a different case, and this loan spelll could be the making of him, as others have pointed out, he is far better suited to playing on the left of a front three, than he is a left sided player in a four man midfield.

Hope that he comes good, as quality left sided players are hard to find.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I went to the Col U game last night and was sitting behind Damian Matthew. Callum was strutting around with an air of confidence that I hadn't seen from him before. His pace caused problems for Bradford early in the game. Callums goal came with a run on the left, cutting in on the edge of the box and shooting. The shot wasn't that powerful but the ball went in under the body of Brad Jones, who couldn't get down quick enough. Callum played quite well but gave the ball away a few times early On. I thought Sordell looked too good to be playing at that level.

Brad Jones is another one who's really dropped down the leagues as well, it shows how competitive the Championship is when players like Sordell and Jones are dropping TWO divisions
  • Options
    Brad Jones was poor and looked very nervous
  • Options
    I think it's best for both us and Harriott if he stays where he is until January. Let him have a good run of games and improve as a football player. His time at Colchester should mature him and make him more intelligent as a footballer.