Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Callum Harriott - loaned to Colchester

Comments

• Options
    Harriott is having a great loan period in League 1.
    Should of gone on loan in January when he had been poor for the 1st 5 months of last season. I will support anyone during a game if they are playing for CAFC.
    I saw him play a couple of games for the U21 last season as well as every home match and 10 away games. I can't remember any games he played well.
    I know he only started 11 games with 10 sub Aps, and 2 cup. but even George Tucudean had 3 good games last season.
    Because of our poor form he's suddenly the answer.
    I would love to be proved wrong but other than the Watford and Blackpool match from 2013/14 i just haven't seen a Championship player in Calum.
  • Options

CALLUM Harriott is in red-hot form for Colchester United - and admits he had to get out of Charlton to get the game time he craved.
    If the 21-year-old winger moved to the U’s to put himself in the shop window then he has done exactly that with a dream start.
    Harriott scored his first goal for Colchester in their 2-1 win over Gillingham on Saturday. And he has seven assists in his first five matches.
    United had been without a win before his arrival and were 23rd - but his influence has helped to pull them up the table to 12th after two wins. He is yet to lose in the league
    - the sole reverse was to Northampton in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.
    The Lambeth-born attacker looked as if he could be set for a major breakthrough at Charlton when he scored a hat-trick in the final day win at Blackpool in the 2013-14 season - his brace in the previous match had secured a 3-1 victory over Watford that ended any fears of relegation.
    But since Jose Riga left, Harriott has failed to get major look-ins under both Bob Peeters and his successor Guy Luzon.
    Valley sources told the South London Press that Wigan bid for the South Londoner in the summer. It was rejected - with the Addicks expecting them to up their offer - but they never returned with improved terms.
    “I’ve been at Charlton since I was eight years old and I’ve come right through the academy,” said Harriott. “But I wasn’t really playing. I didn’t want to be on the bench or nor involved. I wanted to go out and prove myself and that’s what I did. I’m happy that I’m doing well.
    “It’s been a really good start. The boys have been really welcoming and the gaffer wants to play me. He has faith in me and I felt loved from when I first came here. Having new surroundings and proving yourself again makes you want to work 10 times harder. It’s a good club that I’m at.
    “I’ve always been hungry to play. I just needed a good run of games. I’m going to stay hungry and try to get more goals, assists and help the team to keep on winning.”
    Harriott is not the first to fall out of favour with Luzon. Andre Bikey was training with Charlton’s U21 squad before his contract was terminated by mutual consent.
    “I didn’t feel valued,” said Harriott. “At first I was going to go on a permanent move but that didn’t work out. Then there was the loan option.”
    Harriott will only have six months on his contract come January and if he continues his attacking exploits at Colchester then there is sure to be even greater interest in his services.
    “At the minute I’m just pleased to be playing and doing well - I can’t say if I will end up going back or won’t go back to Charlton,” he said. “My sole focus is on doing my best here until January.
    “Different managers have come and gone at Charlton and for whatever reason I wasn’t playing. I was working hard in training every day and not getting a chance. I just don’t think he [Luzon] saw me in his 11, nothing more was said on that. I tried to change his mind.”
    Harriott has never been a player to allow self-doubt to enter his game. He has spoken before of his goal to play in the Premier League.
    Even his Twitter profile - @cally_messi - combines his own nickname with Barcelona’s golden boy.
    “Every game I tell myself ‘I can, I can’,” he said. “You can’t hold back. I got frustrated when I wasn’t playing at Charlton but you can’t lose yourself.
    “You keep the faith inside so that when your time comes you’re ready. My time didn’t come at Charlton but it has been working out for me on loan.
    “There is not much difference between the standard of the Championship and League One. The intensity is the same, but the quality is not at the same level.”
    Harriott’s highlight of his stay in Colchester came last weekend as he scored his first goal for Colchester - ending a 10-month wait since he last notched, for the Addicks at Forest.
    Harriott said: “I spoke to Jordan [Cousins} the other day and he said ‘it is going well for you. I’m happy to see that, keep it going - you deserve to be playing and doing well’.
    “I keep an eye on the Charlton results. It hasn’t been going too well at the moment but I’m sure they will pick up in the league - they have got a good squad.”

Meanwhile, at Charlton...
  • Options
    We seem a little short of CHs now at U21 with Konsa going off early, Thomas and Obileye on loan, Lennon in full squad and Staunton moving from RB.
  • Options
    Just scored again for Colu
  • Options
    Just scored again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Echo in here
  • Options
    Get him back . We have nobody else to play on the left and this loan spell has served its purpose
  • Options
    Echo in here
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Reminds me of Paul Willians loan spell at Brentford. Is Sordell on loan there as well?
  • Options
    masicat said:

Reminds me of Paul Willians loan spell at Brentford. Is Sordell on loan there as well?

No - he was released mid contract by Burnley and as a free agent signed on a one year contract.
  • Options
    Sordell scored too. CUFC have got much to thank us for
  • Options
    masicat said:

Or Chris Dickson when he scored 11 in 11 for Gillingham ;-)
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Get him back . We have nobody else to play on the left and this loan spell has served its purpose

Bergdich, McAleny, Moussa and Ceballos?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

J B-G ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morrison scores for Brum
  • Options
    Pigott scores twice for Southend
  • Options
    Henry scores for Wolves
  • Options
    Obika scores for Swindon
  • Options

Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

@Scoham -really? I normally respect your footballing judgment on here but am seriously struggling with this. Since when have any of those delivered what Callum has at Charlton in the first team? Don't see any of them having scored five in two games at Championship level yet or much chance of it in the near future...

Somewhat disingenuous to only comment on his 2 best games & none of the others where he was in the main poor.

Also, the Blackpool game, although technically a Championship Team, were marooned at the bottom of the league and were middle League 1 level at best.
  • Options
    Azeez scores for Wimbledon
  • Options
    Leon Clarke scores for Bury
  • Options
    Trouble is, most of our loan players or ex-players are scoring in lower divisions, which is why they are there and not with us
  • Options
    Azeez scores for Wimbledon