Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Callum Harriott - loaned to Colchester

Comments

• A frustrating and some times infuriating player. I still feel that he has the potential to be a key player for us and I hope that a change of scenery will allow him to play with more composure and focus on the basics and learn to play to his own strengths rather than trying too hard at doing something spectacular that he does not have the skills to execute.
  • What do you think of Colchester, Callum?
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeehamMzytM

Did well for his two assists but looks like he was ball watching for the decisive Northampton goal.

Did get caught ball watching a little but did try and make an attempt to block the cross. Colchester defending is appalling..
  • Personally, I believe Harriott, is one of those players, that have to look at the ball.
    This is particularly problematic, as he tries to dribble with the ball.
    He can't look up and see what's happening around him and therefore, he runs into trouble and doesn't pass, when he should.

If he simplified his game and did less dribbling. It would give him a better opportunity to look up and find a man.

Whenever you see Ronaldo, Bale, Messi, Robben etc... they very rarely look down at the ball and their eyes are fixed on the defender; waiting for the hapless full back to make their move, before they swivle off in the other direction. Sometimes, when you see Ronaldinho videos on Youtube, it's like he's got the ball under some weird telekinetic spell.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeehamMzytM

Did well for his two assists but looks like he was ball watching for the decisive Northampton goal.

I wouldn't be so harsh really, I'm more shocked that he'd tracked back to his own penalty area! Encouraging that he tried to keep with the ball as well, his slide was well and truly late though - he seemed to hesitate and go in to it when the cross had already been played. Still, not bad at all for an attacking player and good to see him making an impact at Colchester; two nice assists without anything fancy, one being a perfect cross and the other a simple little throughball.

If he can play like that and get used to nailing the basics, and learn to use his pace more effectively, then I think his confidence will improve and we may get the best out of him. He's really not a bad player at all and there's definitely potential in him, I'm hoping he can realise that and he can kick on.

I thought Colchester were lucky that the challenge before the second goal didn't connect; sliding in from behind. I know they conceded from it but that looked dangerous to me, and potentially a Red if he'd connected.
  • IA said:

What do you think of Colchester, Callum?

Funnily enough I was living there for two years while I was studying. Lived on a bit of a naff estate but I had no complaints. :-)
  • Personally, I believe Harriott, is one of those players, that have to look at the ball.
    This is particularly problematic, as he tries to dribble with the ball.
    He can't look up and see what's happening around him and therefore, he runs into trouble and doesn't pass, when he should.

If he simplified his game and did less dribbling. It would give him a better opportunity to look up and find a man.

Whenever you see Ronaldo, Bale, Messi, Robben etc... they very rarely look down at the ball and their eyes are fixed on the defender; waiting for the hapless full back to make their move, before they swivle off in the other direction. Sometimes, when you see Ronaldinho videos on Youtube, it's like he's got the ball under some weird telekinetic spell.

I think he proved what I was saying. In the video above, he set up 2 goals with crosses/passes, without dribbling & keeping his head up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Comment form a Us friend of mine, "He is pretty good. The first player we have had in years that can deliver a corner".

Didn't they have Anthony Wordsworth? He had a peach of a left foot on him.
  • dizzee said:

We could have done with having him on Saturday against Rotherham

Yes, in a situation where we are chasing the game, I'd rather have him come on than Bergdych
  • I think he is very much a confidence player who needs to be "loved", so if he can continue his good form we will have a solution to our left wing problem but not until January, or can we bring him back sooner?
  • Delighted he is doing so well.

believe me so am I, but if he's our answer what is the bloody question?
  • Sponsored links:

• I would love it if Callum came back a better, more consistent, more decisive player. Fingers crossed and glad he's grabbed the opportunity to improve.
  • Delighted he is doing so well.

believe me so am I, but if he's our answer what is the bloody question?
    At the moment I think it would be 'do we have use for a left winger who has made 6 assists in 3 games in League 1?' It's not the worst question in the world
    amended for you ;-)

• Greenie said:

I would love it if Callum came back a better, more consistent, more decisive player. Fingers crossed and glad he's grabbed the opportunity to improve.

There were signs of that last year with us. Bob was encouraging him to be more direct and at a simpler game and there were signs he was getting through to him - at home to Ipswich for example when he put a couple of chances on a plate for Igor but they went begging.
  • As he's on a half season loan I don't think we can recall him before January.
  • If I see him in a Charlton shirt again I am likely to do a dirty protest on the half way line
  • He's played 3 games. Pleased for him but how about we see how he does over 20 or so.
  • it looks to me like he's found his level, good luck to him
  • Addicted said:

He's played 3 games. Pleased for him but how about we see how he does over 20 or so.

where as if he'd just signed for us and had 3 good games he'd be the greatest signing ever ................................
  • Colchester won 3-2 at Sheff Utd tonight.