Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shelvey gets England recall

Anyone else seen this?

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/34095858

Pleasing to read about an ex Charlton youngster doing well in the Premiership.

Comments

• Hope its not just cos we've got San Marino in the next group of matches and it is genuinely cos Shelvey has been in good form of late.

Was thinking the other day that Karlan Ahearne-Grant has a lot of work to do not to become the first Charlton 17-year old debutant to fail to appear for the England Senior Team (As does Joe Gomez of course)
  • He has definitely been better of late but is he really England material ? I think it says more about the lack of descent English midfielders we have at the moment than how good Jonjo is. Good luck to him anyway.
    I've been attacked in the past by people close to him on here when I've said he's not England material but it's my opinion and i'm sticking with it. I hope he proves me wrong and has a blinder.

• Hope its not just cos we've got San Marino in the next group of matches and it is genuinely cos Shelvey has been in good form of late.

Was thinking the other day that Karlan Ahearne-Grant has a lot of work to do not to become the first Charlton 17-year old debutant to fail to appear for the England Senior Team (As does Joe Gomez of course)

Harriott debuted at 17.

Already done.

Peter Reeves and David Campbell 1 to name but two.

David Campbell 1 is Scottish to be fair.
  • Well deserved call-up as he seems to have made a very good start to the season from what I've seen on MOTD and the live games
  • Well done " our" Jonjo.
  • He has definitely been better of late but is he really England material ? I think it says more about the lack of descent English midfielders we have at the moment than how good Jonjo is. Good luck to him anyway.
    I've been attacked in the past by people close to him on here when I've said he's not England material but it's my opinion and i'm sticking with it. I hope he proves me wrong and has a blinder.

Surely you mean he's not international material instead of not England material! If you are going to try to put someone down do it properly.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2015
    uncle said:

He has definitely been better of late but is he really England material ? I think it says more about the lack of descent English midfielders we have at the moment than how good Jonjo is. Good luck to him anyway.

Surely you mean he's not international material instead of not England material! If you are going to try to put someone down do it properly.
    Why? does he qualify for another country? Don't take it to heart ( again) . I'ts just my opinion not fact.
  • uncle said:

He has definitely been better of late but is he really England material ? I think it says more about the lack of descent English midfielders we have at the moment than how good Jonjo is. Good luck to him anyway.

Why? does he qualify for another country? Don't take to heart ( again) . I'ts just my opinion not fact.
    I ain't anything to heart my little friend. But in your own opinion you contradicted yourself. If there is a lack of English talent and he is the best of a bad bunch then he is England material. Unless you would like the England team to start using foreigners then you are arguing with yourself my little little friend
  • And let's be honest which I think you might struggle with. You don't hope you are proved wrong, you hope he has a stinker so you can say "told you so" Ahhhhh bless you.
  • Hope he cements himself in the team. Now is the perfect time to break through and force himself into the squad for the Euros.
  • edited August 2015
    uncle said:

uncle said:

Why? does he qualify for another country? Don't take to heart ( again) . I'ts just my opinion not fact.
    I ain't anything to heart my little friend. But in your own opinion you contradicted yourself. If there is a lack of English talent and he is the best of a bad bunch then he is England material. Unless you would like the England team to start using foreigners then you are arguing with yourself my little little friend
    No i just think there are probably better English players available ( again my opinion not fact) . I would fully expect you to support his call up him being family ( as i would) and as i said i hope he blows my argument out of the water and plays a blinder.
  • edited August 2015
    I hope he does well cos England need a decent attacking midfielder and I would love it if it was Jonjo. I was trying to think of other English alternatives and when you take into account how injury prone some of them are there isnt a whole lot of competition.
  • uncle said:

uncle said:

No i just think there are probably better English players available ( again my opinion not fact) . I would fully expect you to support his call up him being family ( as i would) and as i said i hope he blows my argument out of the water and plays a blinder.
    Care to name them then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Uncle.

You must be delighted. I personally love shelvey as a player and his current form showing him to have quite the outstanding creative spark is of no surprise to me. Not to say I knew this day would come. I just knew he was a unique player that if played the right way, would be very good and useful for a big club. Could see the potential I mean to say. He is clearly enjoying his football and is only getting better by playing every week. Look forward to seeing him play for England.

Would say though that Beds is just giving his opinion and sticking by it nothing wrong with that.

I'm surprised your bothered by opinions of fans on a forum anyway only opinion that counts here for England is Roy Hodgson's.
  • edited August 2015
    Right so center mid off the top of your head you would have Ashley young or Zaha instead of shelvey? Then I think my little friend you have just shown your very limited knowledge of football. And i'm not even going to mention townshend. Hahaha off the top of your head.
  • edited August 2015
    uncle said:

Right so center mid off the top of your head you would have Ashley young or Zaha instead of shelvey? Then I think my little friend you have just shown your very limited knowledge of football. And i'm not even going v to mention townshend. Hahaha off the top of your head.

It doesn't matter what i say. You will defend his selection to the hilt and i would expect nothing less. You obviously take any alternative view to yours to heart because of previous arguments and the fact you keep calling me " My little friend" ! lol .
    I will say this for the last time. I hope he proves me wrong ( and i do mean that because he's ex Charlton and i'm an England fan) ) and that's my last word on it.
  • uncle said:

Right so center mid off the top of your head you would have Ashley young or Zaha instead of shelvey? Then I think my little friend you have just shown your very limited knowledge of football. And i'm not even going v to mention townshend. Hahaha off the top of your head.

It doesn't matter what i say. You will defend his selection to the hilt and i would expect nothing less. You obviously take any alternative view to yours to heart because of previous arguments and the fact you keep calling me " My little friend" ! lol .
    I will say this for the last time. I hope he proves me wrong ( and i do mean that ) and that's my last word on it.
    It does matter what you say. Especially if we are establishing your your credentials for being a football critic. And the evidence is you would have townshend a winger in a spurs team that are playing terrible. Young a winger for manu who ain't exactly setting the world on fire oh and young got ten minutes today and Zaha who to the best of my knowledge is a winger/forward. And to be honest I don't know enough about the other one. And unlike you, when I don't know enough I know when to not speak. You would have those players in front of the player who this season has created more go scoring opportunities than any other player. And is one of the stand out players in a team that have been on fire this season. All I can say is thank God you are not in charge of any team.
  • I think England should be doing better than Jonjo, but given the options he's worth a shot. I also hope he proves me wrong, but I deeply doubt he will. It's not his technical skills that I question. Maybe he might do well against San Marino or even Switzerland, but I think he'll come unstuck against any team who make a concerted effort to nullify his approach, and more importantly, wind him up.
  • Ashley young and townsend in centre mid come on that's just ridiculous,

Grealish hasn't played a full season in the prem yet and tbh looked good in a villa team desperate for something or someone to cling too as a sign of hope, he was hopeless in the cup final and is atleast 15 to 20 games of consistent 7 out of ten and above performances to even have a chance to be considered

Zaha at centre mid, when has he played there for anyone he is a winger or striker at worst

Now if you were to say the ox or Delph even Barkley as an alternative to Jonjo then not many could dispute that there are alternative players for that role, but the ones you chose are less likey to play there than Diego Poyet or Jordan cousins

If you want to annoy the angry midget just hide his mushroom or toadstool and snap his rod

• Jonjo is is a different class to Henderson, Delph and that Man Utd donkey whose name escapes me. I can't see that trio unlocking the defence of Italy or Germany with a moment of sublime magic.

If England selected our most talented players and stuck with them from youth level onwards rather than opting for players from the same six Premiership teams we might have a half a hope in major competitions.

I can see Roly getting all emotional over the call up and making an outrageous multi-million bid to Swansea.
  • You must know you cant have an opinion on Jonjo unless you believe he is a world beater on here to some.Would certainly have Wiltshire,Barkley and Delph in front of Jonjo
  • Wiltshire is injured, Barkley and Delph granted are a fair shout, Zaha, Grealish, young and townsend as a central midfield option is not really a like for like comparison, if it was being mooted the other way round I am sure most if not all would see it as a ridiculous solution to a wide man issue