Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey gets England recall

Comments

• Options
    Don't cringe though I'd hate to think that a sensible example is making grown men use words that six yr old girls say
  • Options
    Yeah but those successful passes (14 key ones aside) would all have been sideways and backwards if his name was Poyet
  • Options
    A pretty honest interview, that.
  • Options

A pretty honest interview, that.

Yep, realy good, honest interview from Jonjo that. Hope he gets a chance for England. This is also interesting:

• Options
    The moment that stands out for me was between Swansea and Liverpool when it ended 2-2 with Shelvey being involved in all the goals.

Basically came out afterwards and apologised for his performance despite the interviewer saying he was one of the best players on the pitch, regardless Jonjo didnt think it was acceptable and wanted to apologise to the Swansea fans for the two mistakes he made
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dal I told you a very long time ago what Southgate had said and it made a mockery of the idea he had when hidden didn't pick.him. I have said on here many times he would never refuse to play. He likes football to much. I must say thougthough, having his daughter seems to have matured him a bit.
  • Options
    Micah Richards who has been playing centre back pretty poorly is higher rated than Clyne so far? Seems legit
  • Options

The moment that stands out for me was between Swansea and Liverpool when it ended 2-2 with Shelvey being involved in all the goals.

Basically came out afterwards and apologised for his performance despite the interviewer saying he was one of the best players on the pitch, regardless Jonjo didnt think it was acceptable and wanted to apologise to the Swansea fans for the two mistakes he made

Thats why I love him as a player. He is so unique on the pitch that he never ever hides. He seems to be involved in absolutely everything and he wears his heart on his sleeve, whilst also being technically very good. Brilliant range of passing.
  • Options
    I know that buddy, but we both know he has put a dark spell on uncle woy and only harry Potter can save England from a cringefest
  • Options
    I cannot wait until Hodgson is no longer England manager...as long as Pardew isn't his replacement.
  • Options
    Pardew has definitely been calmer lately and has cut down on slagging off referees and getting into rows. He definitely wants that England job!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Pardew has definitely been calmer lately and has cut down on slagging off referees and getting into rows. He definitely wants that England job!

Ha. It's still all down to him when he wins and his players' fault when they lose though.
  • Options

Micah Richards who has been playing centre back pretty poorly is higher rated than Clyne so far? Seems legit

I thought Richards looked pretty good when I saw him this season. He was excellent against Man United
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The problem is that managers have core principles. Bobby Robson used to bemoan the lack of English players who could influence a game, but failed to utilise Hoddle who some would say was a genius in that respect. The reason for this was that any special player had to still do the basics and being special wasn’t an excuse not to from his perspective. Hoddle didn’t really have a pressing or tackling game so he fell foul. Robson found a place for Gazza, but played a big part in moulding him to be what he wanted, which was a good thing in that case. What was strange was that when Hoddle became England manager, Le Tissier was criminally marginalised – not for what he had to offer but for what he didn’t have.

The point is though, Robson should have built the team around Hoddle not Bryan Robson as he did. But his principles got in the way. Sometimes you have to compromise your rules or principles, especially when you don’t have the players who give you what you are missing within the constraints you apply. England’s midfield needs goals as you can't just rely on Rooney or Welbeck scoring every game and Lampard has retired. If there are shortcomings in Shelvey’s game, Hodgson needs to work on them, but he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet. I think the shortcomings in Shelvey’s game are largely because he is a brave player always looking to try something and influence. He will become a better and better player and the last world cup was crying out for him.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Jonjo Shelvey says 'I'm here to stay' after England return
    Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2015/sep/jonjo-shelvey-preview-san-marino-020915#vZSLkKWdckYCwDFF.99

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    When are the up coming England games ?
  • Options
    Well done Jonjo. Played well on a very difficult pitch.
  • Options
    Yes well done Jonjo, you have listened to constructive criticism and improved your game. Like the way he is always trying to find the forward pass/through ball.

We have enough sideways/backwards passing in the team.
  • Options
    Thought his passing was outstanding; exactly what's needed to unlock massed ranks, and so much more piercing than eye-catching 50 yarders that sit in the air long enough to be read and mopped up easily. He has a great ability to change the direction / pace of an attack with a disguised pass that can't be predicted and easily snuffed out. So chuffed that Hodgson singled him out. Well done Jonjo.
  • Options
    I've not read any comments but wanted to add that I thought he did fantastically well and should play England first team more often. He's passing was just what we've lacked.
  • Options
    Did love how the commentators were saying that Jonjo was playing well but questioned whether he could play those passes against the big sides when he's being closed down a lot quicker etc...

Not once did one of them think... Hang on, Jonjo plays for Swansea City, he's already played against Manchester United and Chelsea this season so surely he's handled those big sides else surely he wouldnt have been picked to play against San Marino (let alone England) in the first bloody place... If he continues to do well this season, be interesting to watch him in the Transfer Window next summer
  • Options

Did love how the commentators were saying that Jonjo was playing well but questioned whether he could play those passes against the big sides when he's being closed down a lot quicker etc...

Not once did one of them think... Hang on, Jonjo plays for Swansea City, he's already played against Manchester United and Chelsea this season so surely he's handled those big sides else surely he wouldnt have been picked to play against San Marino (let alone England) in the first bloody place... If he continues to do well this season, be interesting to watch him in the Transfer Window next summer

Would like to see him stay at Swansea he's settled and plays in a team that benefits from his strengths.