Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey gets England recall

Comments

• Options
    If Jonjo was half as good as his Uncle is precious then he'd have far more caps to his name by now.
  • Options
    Pleased for Jonjo on his call up to the national team. Apart from the game yesterday I've not watched any of his games for Swansea for some time. Thought he had a very good game. Was a lot more disciplined in the way he played as a holding midfield role than I thought he would be. Won procession well and was intelligent in his pass selection.
  • Options
    Best of luck to him and I hope he makes it a regular spot.
    We do like to knock (in this country) a player that makes playing football so easy they appear to be not taking part or not being very effective. Shevey can pass a ball better than anyone in that England squad and given the opportunity dominant the centre of the pitch. The same criticisms of were said of Ray (the crab) Wilkins.
  • Options

Uncle, if your approach wasn't so patronising people would perhaps take more note of the content of your posts, my big plum

People put certain posts on here for a reaction. When they get the reaction they get all defensive and a band of merrymen much like yourself come on here telling people how they should behave. I don't think so! Me patronising? Never!!! Now run along little boy.
  • Options
    What lets you down uncle is your little attacks with the words you use like "you little plums" Everyone is entitled to there opinion and you make good points but let down by childish words I've never used any such words towards yourself and you have kept on with other users to plus If im attacking from behind a keyboard so are you! Fitness is a thing at the moment but when all players fit Jonjo wouldn't be close to the the England set up again just my opinion.Yes he made a fantastic pass for one of the Swansea goals yesterday but also made some careless passes,he is just an a solid Premiership footballer no more no less and at International level I don't believe that is good enough.
  • Options

Wiltshire is injured, Barkley and Delph granted are a fair shout, Zaha, Grealish, young and townsend as a central midfield option is not really a like for like comparison, if it was being mooted the other way round I am sure most if not all would see it as a ridiculous solution to a wide man issue

Barkley and Delph are in the squad mate. I was more asking him who he would pick that isn't. The names he came up with are at best laughable.
  • Options
    The England team SHOULD always be picked on form in my opinion.

On that basis Jonjo fully deserves a call up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What lets you down uncle is your little attacks with the words you use like "you little plums" Everyone is entitled to there opinion and you make good points but let down by childish words I've never used any such words towards yourself and you have kept on with other users to plus If im attacking from behind a keyboard so are you! Fitness is a thing at the moment but when all players fit Jonjo wouldn't be close to the the England set up again just my opinion.Yes he made a fantastic pass for one of the Swansea goals yesterday but also made some careless passes,he is just an a solid Premiership footballer no more no less and at International level I don't believe that is good enough.

I don't feel "let down" yes everyone is entitled to their opinion and that would include me. But when I give mine you seem to think you are somehow superior to me and tell me how I should and shouldn't give mine. I to be honest didn't see that many careless passes yesterday. He doesn't always do the same option but that is exactly why he should be there. No one else takes a chance. Now I don't really care if you think he's good enough or won't be anywhere near the team when everyone is fit, that's your opinion. Now allow me mine without telling me what to say. I will drag this post up again when he has played.
  • Options
    Very pleased for Shelvey, hope he can add a couple more caps rather than just being part of the sqaud.

• Options
    I think it's a deserved and long overdue call up. He had a good end to the season last year and has probably been the best English central midfielder in the Premier League so far this season. He is still prone to the odd misplaced Hollywood pass but he can change a game with his passing. Look at yesterday. Monk is onto something playing Shelvey in that Pirlo (that was not a comparison to Pirlo by the way) role and he is now central to one of the best footballing sides in the country. Good luck to him and what another proud day for the Charlton academy.
  • Options
    Drag what you want up Uncle and perhaps you should read back as I have never told you about your opinion on Jonjo just the childish names you use towards people who don't have the same opinion as you.I hope he has a great game for England but you even doubt them honest opinions too.
  • Options
    England need a player who can spot a pass and play it, if shelvey is allowed to play without fear as he does for Swansea then he will be very good for England.
  • Options
    If you're picking the squad on form rather than reputation, Jonjo is a no brainer for selection.
  • Options
    He has small man syndrome,

Anyway what I write is the real answer everyone else on here talks bollox so if I agree with the Shelvey then that's all that matters
  • Options

England need a player who can spot a pass and play it, if shelvey is allowed to play without fear as he does for Swansea then he will be very good for England.

You could say that about the entire England team unfortunately.
  • Options
    Is Barkley really all that? Apart from a few long range shots I've never seen him do much to help the side out! Would much prefer Jonjo out there at least he has the vision and the ability to try and make things happen, they might not always come off but he keeps trying. Good luck Jonjo!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Bedsaddick

i don't recall ever having attacked your views on Jonjo, but I have several times in these threads predicted that JonJo will one day captain England (when he's curbed his temper a bit, among other things) and I'm pleased to see that my prediction remains bang on course. Temper aside, JonJo continues to display the right attitude, which is as important for long term success as ability is (e.g. his idol Gerrard). It's also great to see him apparently happy at Swansea. Loved watching him and the Swans leaving LVG spluttering again on MOTD 2 last night.
  • Options
    Offside
  • Options
    Jack grealish is a winger and has played all his youth football for the Republic of Ireland..

Shelvey deserves his call up, especially if you've got utter shite like Ryan mason in the squad
  • Options
    Definitely should be in the squad. All the usual teams are either stuttering or full of players who aren't English. He's in form. If England are ever going to be any good as a team, there needs to be a recognition that they'll be coming from the mid table Prem teams who have more England-qualified players.

Added to that, it really winds up my Palace-supporting mate who can't work out why any of their English players aren't getting picked, especially as Hodgson is from Croydon. :smiley:
  • Options
    Good to see an ex Charlton player in the England squad and well deserved on his current form....would be even nicer to see a current one called up.
  • Options
    Gomez next. Now there's a future England captain.
  • Options

Gomez next. Now there's a future England captain.

Yes he will take over from JonJo :-)
  • Options
    Good luck Jonjo.
  • Options
    List of England centre midfielders around today: Wilshere, Barkley, Henderson, Carrick, Barry, Delph, Mason, Cleverly, Cork, Rodwell, Shelvey.

Honestly out of those I'd have Shelvey in the squad easy (if you have 5/6 CMs). Probably not starting but he deserves his place in the squad.