Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey gets England recall

Comments

• Options
    Did anyone see Stuart Pearce talking about Jonjo on Sky Sports? He said that he felt he shouldn't be in senior squad as he had turned down calls to some of the younger England teams previously. I kind of agree tbf.
  • Options
    I don't watch enough Premiership/International level football to have any meaningful comment in the debate as to Jonjo's suitability to be picked for England ahead of anyone else. What I do know is that I've always been impressed whenever I've seen him. I feel very pleased for him and believe that he has worked hard to put himself in contention. He is one of those players that I am proud to say came from Charlton, and I can only imagine how Uncle must be bursting with pride at his nephew's call up. Well done Jonjo, here's wishing you every success!
  • Options
    I'd much rather watch Jonjo playing for England than the same tired old faces like Wilshere and Carrick. They're good players (well Carrick is) but they just don't excite anyone.
  • Options
    Jonjo makes things happen, Gerrard got cut tons of slack (by me too) when he gave the ball away or made a poor decision because you always knew he had something different in the box. I've noticed a few on this site may be a bit over-critical of him but then us Charlton fans can be a bit precious.

England's problem since 2010 has not been lack of effort but lack of ingenuity and imagination. Jonjo brings that to the party. He's now been in great form since January or February this year so a call up is well deserved and overdue. I'm pals with his uncle but I'm also objective as far as Jonjo is concerned as an England fan
  • Options
    Uncle v Psycho...now that could be interesting!
  • Options
    Well done and good luck Jonjo. Signed his first pro contract with us and always look out for him on Match of the Day. Makes me proud and sad in equal measures to know Shelvey, Gomez, Jenkinson, Poyet and to a lesser degree Palmer and Hudson all came through our academy in recent years but have left to bigger things. Imagine we were PL and they were all in our squad with Solly and Cousins. F* me! that would be good.

Wasn't Shelveys brother also with us? Is he still about?
  • Options

mart77 said:

Did anyone see Stuart Pearce talking about Jonjo on Sky Sports? He said that he felt he shouldn't be in senior squad as he had turned down calls to some of the younger England teams previously. I kind of agree tbf.

He's coming for you
    He's coming for you
    Uncle Shelvey
    He's coming for you
  • Options

mart77 said:

He's coming for you
    He's coming for you
    Uncle Shelvey
    He's coming for you
    Too tall
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quality player deserves his chance. I have just read through this thread as I have been out all day, and Bedsaddick you can never be taken serious again after bringing up Young , Saha and Grealish who don't play in his position, go back to school and do your homework mate #madeyourselflookstupid.
  • Options

Quality player deserves his chance. I have just read through this thread as I have been out all day, and Bedsaddick you can never be taken serious again after bringing up Young , Saha and Grealish who don't play in his position, go back to school and do your homework mate #madeyourselflookstupid.

Very intelligent argument. Thanks
  • Options
    your welcome, next your be saying Stones should be playing instead of him.
  • Options

Bit harsh that, whats with the whole make yourself look stupid thing? Its Zaha not Saha by the way. Personally think Shelvey has every right to be in the England squad at present but i'm glad people stand up to Uncle who shoots down anybody who thinks Shelvey isn't the messiah.
    Thanks for the spelling lesson much appreciated
  • Options
    Steve stone probably should Aswell
  • Options
    what in central midfield yep your probably right
  • Options

what in central midfield yep your probably right

You're
  • Options
    Happy for Shelvey. With Lampard and Gerrard gone from the England team, Roy has to look closely at the current generation. Shelvey, Wilshere, Henderson, Barkley are the best of the bunch in my opinion. Feather in the cap for the Charlton Academy. Don't suppose there's any add ons are there? I suppose they'll all have been cashed in once he moved from Liverpool to Swansea.
  • Options

I'd much rather watch Jonjo playing for England than the same tired old faces like Wilshere and Carrick. They're good players (well Carrick is) but they just don't excite anyone.

How on earth is Wilshere a tired old face? He has been our best player for about the last 3 internationals? Jonjo should be his alternate though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015

#madeyourselflookstupid.

Touche.
  • Options
    I have never got my head around how so many Charlton fans don't rate Shelvey.

Considering the shite England have served up over the years, it should be abundantly obvious that we need a young central midfielder with a bit of creativity and fight.

Having seen him play for us for a while I would confidently say that player is Jonjo in a nutshell and I reckon he would be right in the reckoning if he played for a top 5 club.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

I have never got my head around how so many Charlton fans don't rate Shelvey.

Considering the shite England have served up over the years, it should be abundantly obvious that we need a young central midfielder with a bit of creativity and fight.

Having seen him play for us for a while I would confidently say that player is Jonjo in a nutshell and I reckon he would be right in the reckoning if he played for a top 5 club.

Of course he would be in the reckoning if he was in a top 5 club, even if he was toilet. Just look at Tom cleverley
  • Options
    Shelvey is worth his place and I'm well chuffed to see our academy graduate fulfilling his potential. No coincidence that Swansea are doing well.
  • Options
    Go jonjo

Cringeworthy to see NLA and NSS wading in to back up Uncle's unreasonableness

And i say that as a basildon born lad

Go Jonjo!

Get that captain's armband!
  • Options
    uncle said:

Uncle, if your approach wasn't so patronising people would perhaps take more note of the content of your posts, my big plum

People put certain posts on here for a reaction. When they get the reaction they get all defensive and a band of merrymen much like yourself come on here telling people how they should behave. I don't think so! Me patronising? Never!!! Now run along little boy.
  • Options
    Cringeworthy

What are you on about, I don't see how offering players who could play centre mid as an alternative to Jonjo for England is Cringeworthy,

Al can fight his own battles don't need me of nss to do it for him, however if someone is going to post on an Internet forum that players like Zaha or Grealish ashley young should be playing cm over him it's going to gets reaction from me as it's like comparing chalk and cheese for similarities

• Options
    edited September 2015
    If England are going to achieve anything they need goals in the midfield. Shelvey is a must because of this. I am very critical of Hodgson for not realising this.
  • Options
    I would play shelvey alongside a defensive midfielder as the boy can pass.

It's not about playing the best players it is about playing a team. Put him alongside a defensive midfielder and give him the chance to create.