Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket vs Pakistan (in UAE)

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

I'm in the UAE in a few weeks and there's a ODI on whilst I'm there, can't find anything on the internet about tickets - any ideas ?

Don't know anything about this company (they are based in Croydon) but they are advertising tickets:

https://tickets4pk.com/
  • Options
    I would simply go along to the ground on the day - will not be sold out or anywhere near! If you want confirmation, buy tickets locally on arrival in UAE.
  • Options
    Last time we played there the stadiums were empty. IIRC.
  • Options
    Was definitely empty for the Tests. T20s were a lot fuller but you could still rock up on the day and get a very cheap ticket on the gate. By chance I needed to go to Abu Dhabi for a business meeting (Sunday morning, aaarrrgh), so decided to cut my losses and get there a bit early to catch the T20 in Dubai on the Saturday evening. Commandeered a local taxi driver to do the 90 minute desert crossing between the two cities (and back), who ended up watching the match rather than wait around in his car. Stadium was still empty 30 mins before the start but suddenly transformed itself into an enormous family BBQ for the Pakistani population of Dubai, so was jammed to the rafters by the start. Fantastic atmosphere with a spicy aroma, KP was imperious, a pre-wobble Finn magnificent, local hero Afridi feted loudly (but failed) - nothing better than an England win abroad.
  • Options
    216-5 at close. Match drawn. Anderson with the final wicket.
  • Options

216-5 at close. Match drawn. Anderson with the final wicket.

A typical modern warm up match, no wonder away teams seem to struggle so much nowadays!
  • Options
    Pakistan A batting first are 154-6 from 73-6

Finn's figures 14-7-16-4
  • Options

Pakistan A batting first are 154-6 from 73-6

Finn's figures 14-7-16-4

Interesting figures - especially considering UAE is meant to be pace bowlers graveyard.
  • Options
    I think the team picks itself:

Cook
    Ali
    Root
    Bell
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Rashid
    Broad
    Finn
    Anderson

Taylor will push for Bairstow/Buttler's place also leaving Hales, Wood, Plunkett and Patel out too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

They finished on 192 - 12!!! As each day allows one side to bat (or field) they carried on after they had taken the 10th wicket...

I guess that means that the game doesn't count as first class for stat purposes?
  • Options
    England 77-2 in reply. Ali (7) and Hales (9) both out.

Bell 32*
    Taylor 25*
  • Options
    Middle order looking sketchy as hell. Can they really pick Jos Buttler in the form he's in? Can Stokes learn how to play spin at all? O dear me
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Middle order looking sketchy as hell. Can they really pick Jos Buttler in the form he's in? Can Stokes learn how to play spin at all? O dear me

Yep for those that haven't seen it - Bell (53) and Taylor (45) both retired to allow Stokes (0), Buttler (8) and Bairstow (0) all to get out.

It is possible that they will leave Buttler out for the first game but it would probably mean dropping Bairstow down to 7 and there is an argument that this would almost be a punishment for Buttler's failings.

One last chance I suspect for Buttler.
  • Options
    I'm just as worried about Stokes. Gun player of quick bowling but he's never looked at ease against spin
  • Options
    The case for Taylor just grew stronger as well
  • Options
    Rashid has just been stumped for 2 too.

132-6

None of them want it!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm just as worried about Stokes. Gun player of quick bowling but he's never looked at ease against spin

Leuth said:

The case for Taylor just grew stronger as well

Agreed on both counts. Of course there is an argument to include Patel as well as Ali and Rashid in which case you could leave out both Buttler and Stokes especially as he won't do anything on those wickets that Anderson, Broad and Finn can't.

In which case the team could look like:

Cook
    Ali
    Root
    Bell
    Taylor
    Bairstow
    Patel
    Rashid
    Broad
    Finn
    Anderson
  • Options
    Would take something extraordinary for Stokes to be dropped
  • Options
    Moeen facing Junaid Khan again. Bet there's some quality chat going on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Would take something extraordinary for Stokes to be dropped

Again agreed but they have to get some balance to the team and Stokes simply won't bowl many overs unless they only go in with just Anderson and Broad as quickies.

I don't think it will have escaped the selectors that Stokes is actually averaging less than 15 in his last 10 innings for England. Compare that to Taylor's scores of 49, 43, 101, 41, 12 and 45* this year and they really shouldn't have to think twice about this.
  • Options
    Plunkett (1) out stumped too. Patel hanging in there on 6 off 36.
  • Options
    Patel now gone for 8 (41)

141-7
  • Options
    Buttler's come back in to join Ali

Cricinfo don't have the ability to show more than one innings for a batsman so are just adding the runs onto their first score!
  • Options
    Ali out for a second time - total of 20 in his two innings. Taylor comes back.

• Options
    What a joke of a match, it's like a schoolboy fixture, with some players retiring, and others batting twice!
  • Options
    Taylor out for 61

198-9

Buttler 31 not out to add to the 8 he got in his first innings