Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket vs Pakistan (in UAE)

Comments

• Options

What a joke of a match, it's like a schoolboy fixture, with some players retiring, and others batting twice!

I don't have a problem with it. It's all about giving players time out in the middle. The only thing I would say is, they should've played one 4 day game, as opposed to two 2 day games
  • Options
    I think that was done to give players more recovering time as temperatures are hitting 40C. A 4 day game straight off the bat may have caused more problems than it solved.
  • Options

I think that was done to give players more recovering time as temperatures are hitting 40C. A 4 day game straight off the bat may have caused more problems than it solved.

That's the theory. In practice they could have squeezed a one day series and t20 into the four days
  • Options

What a joke of a match, it's like a schoolboy fixture, with some players retiring, and others batting twice!

I don't have a problem with it. It's all about giving players time out in the middle. The only thing I would say is, they should've played one 4 day game, as opposed to two 2 day games
    But two 2 day games with a complete lack of intensity, gives no time to acclimatise, there should have been at least 2 proper 3 - 4 day warm up games, ideally 3, considering the alien conditions.
  • Options
    That's the way these days even in the ashes the Aussies only played weakened Kent and Essex sides before first test.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

That's the way these days even in the ashes the Aussies only played weakened Kent and Essex sides before first test.

I do hope your nephew doesn't come on here MOL!

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Which kinda explains why they haven't won in England since 2001! And as we have the same scheduling problem, why we got stuffed 5-0 in 2 of the last 3 series in Australia
  • Options
    Let's put things into perspective. This "match" was just a glorified net, PE Lesson game to give everyone a go. As for the tour itself, well to play Pakistan in the UAE is just something that we have to do to complete our obligations to the ICC. No one wants to be there, no one is bothered. It just has to be done. Let's just wait until we play SA before we take things seriously again.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Let's put things into perspective. This "match" was just a glorified net, PE Lesson game to give everyone a go. As for the tour itself, well to play Pakistan in the UAE is just something that we have to do to complete our obligations to the ICC. No one wants to be there, no one is bothered. It just has to be done. Let's just wait until we play SA before we take things seriously again.

What a load of crap. We are playing Pakistan in a TEST match, representing England, of course it is important. It would be important if we played it on the Moon. Every time you represent your Country, you should be bothered.

• Options

se9addick said:

I'm in the UAE in a few weeks and there's a ODI on whilst I'm there, can't find anything on the internet about tickets - any ideas ?

Don't know anything about this company (they are based in Croydon) but they are advertising tickets:

https://tickets4pk.com/
    I was looking at possibly going to Dubai during October half term , a while back , to watch one of the tests and looked at tickets from this mob and it wasn't the easiest site to navigate and the prices seemed lumpy and seemed as if you had to have a bit of corporate guff
    I was only gonna be going with 9 year old so wouldn't have been on the lash
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Riviera said:

What a load of crap. We are playing Pakistan in a TEST match, representing England, of course it is important. It would be important if we played it on the Moon. Every time you represent your Country, you should be bothered.

Yes, we need to be able to play in all conditions. One of favourite ever England wins was the one in the dark in Pakistan in 2000.

Good luck Mooen, playing No 8 against Australia, now expected to open, after 2 of these joke warm up matches
  • Options
    Finn ruled out of First Test with foot injury.
  • Options
    So, Steve Finn's out of the first Test. Does that mean Wood plays as third seamer?
  • Options
    Yasir Shah, the leg spinner who has taken 61 wickets in his first 10 Tests, looks like being ruled out with a back injury sustained today.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

So, Steve Finn's out of the first Test. Does that mean Wood plays as third seamer?

I would think so. Unless they decide to go in with Ali, Rashid and Patel and rely on Stokes as the third seamer.
  • Options
    Pakistan won toss and elected to bat. No surprises from England team:

Cook
    Ali
    Root
    Bell
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Rashid
    Broad
    Wood
    Anderson

Yasir Shah missing with back injury.

Could be a long day in the field.
  • Options
    40+ degree heat. Pakistan unbeaten at home in Dubai since 2010. England without a world class spinner on an absolute dust bowl. I'd say Pakistan away in Dubai is probably the hardest test series in world cricket
  • Options

40+ degree heat. Pakistan unbeaten at home in Dubai since 2010. England without a world class spinner on an absolute dust bowl. I'd say Pakistan away in Dubai is probably the hardest test series in world cricket

Pakistan originally selected a squad with just the two front line spinners so haven't got a replacement for Yasir Shah and couldn't get one in time due to visa issues.

Misbah Ul-Haq not happy with the selectors by all accounts.
  • Options
    Anderson strikes - literally. Bowls a bouncer to Masood who turns his head and is bowled off his helmet!
  • Options
    5-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With chances at a premium we really can't afford to drop the sort of catch Bell did at second slip off Anderson.

21-1 with Wood and Stokes now bowling with Anderson and Broad having had short spells in this heat of four and three overs respectively.

• Options
    50-1

Rashid is going to have to buy his wickets but is at least turning the ball significantly at times.
  • Options
    82-1 at lunch off 27

• Options
    The dial up on TMS was doing my head in for ages. hopefully it's stopped now. anyone else hear it? I thought I was going mad!
  • Options

The dial up on TMS was doing my head in for ages. hopefully it's stopped now. anyone else hear it? I thought I was going mad!

No didn't hear anything. Expect you're not going mad though and it's just tinnitus.

But, there again, I wasn't listening to TMS ;-)
  • Options
    Moeen bowling quickly and not giving anything away, Rashid flighting it and looking for the daft shot. Seamers toiling. Will be a long day unless England force a few errors.
  • Options

Fortunately, it looks like there is almost no-one there to see it.
  • Options
    As expected the pitch is completely dead. A good toss to win. Chances are at a premium so it doesn't help when 1 of your slips drops a simple catch!
  • Options
    Broad the plonker has Malik caught - only for it to go to the 3rd Umpire and he has over stepped by half an inch!!!!
  • Options

Broad the plonker has Malik caught - only for it to go to the 3rd Umpire and he has over stepped by half an inch!!!!

No excuse for that. Poor.