Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket vs Pakistan (in UAE)

Comments

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

On for the stattos, has anyone ever been on field for the full 5 days?

Don't think so, but our Geoffrey did bat on all five days of a test match once! Not sure that anyone else has ever done that?
    I think Boycs did it in the same series. He was last man out for 191 and we either won by an innings or he was not out in the run chase.
  • Options

In match to date:

Quickies: 131-28-357-11

Spinners: 130-20-426-0

I wonder if there has ever been worse figures for spinners in a Test match?

Nope.
  • Options

And that is why I questioned why we sent Wood in. All it means is that we have given them a cheap wicket on a track that isn't doing a thing.

If we can't trust our front line batsmen on this then we never will.

I put this on the general things that annoy you thread a long long time ago.

For me the only time to bring in a night watchman is at the end of Day 4 if you are intending to save the match by batting out Day 5. Not 2 wickets down in the first innings.

I'm certainly no expert but I can't see any other reason? Wood coming in and getting out is also another reason not to bother.
  • Options
    Wood batted terribly for a night watchman anyway. Matthew Hoggard was a good night watchman, as he knew how to bat negatively, blocking and boring the bowlers, not smishing away outside the off stump!
  • Options
    Cook dropped by the keeper off an inside edge off Wahab. When it's going for you........
  • Options

Cook dropped by the keeper off an inside edge off Wahab. When it's going for you........

Root given not out to an LBW appeal - reviewed and still not out.

327-3

Cook 184* (360)
    Root 24* (49)
  • Options
    Root gets his 14th Test 50 (83)

358-3 & 165 behind

Cook 189* (368)
  • Options
    Root fifty
  • Options
    382-3
  • Options
    Cook 200* (395) in 619 minutes
    Root 74* (112)

Partnership of 104

393-3 and 130 behind

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    400-3 at lunch & 123 behind

Cook 204* (407)
    Root 76* (124)
  • Options
    Wood must be gutted he's missed out here.
  • Options
    Root blows it by slashing at a wide one from Rahat - out for 85 (143)

Cook relentless on 221* (446)

426-4 and just 97 behind
  • Options
    Big opportunity for Bairstow to make a big score, conversely there's pressure as you really DON'T want to miss out!
  • Options
    Here's a question for everyone. With Warne, Murali, Swann and Vettori all gone and so many others with "special" balls currently serving bans for illegal actions (or in the case of Narine severely restricted for fear of incurring a lifetime ban) what is going to really inspire kids, especially in this country, to bowl spin?

With pitches being produced that do nothing for the art of spin, there really is very little incentive - bar a batsman becoming a decent run stopping bowler in one day cricket and thereby adding it to their value as a cricketer.
  • Options

Big opportunity for Bairstow to make a big score, conversely there's pressure as you really DON'T want to miss out!

Given out LBW and reviewing.............
  • Options
    ...........but still out for 8.

443-5 & 80 behind

Cook 230* (460)
  • Options
    There's a bit of pressure on many England players, Bairstow who's trying to re-establish himself, while both Stokes and Buttler need runs. You can see how Bell struggled, knowing that he had to get runs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There's a bit of pressure on many England players, Bairstow who's trying to re-establish himself, while both Stokes and Buttler need runs. You can see how Bell struggled, knowing that he had to get runs

And that us what makes the back to his best Cook and Root world class - albeit one a slow and lengthy torturer of the opposition bowling attack and the other a "stand up and give it to them" type batsman.

A couple more batsmen of that ilk and a top spinner and we would be a force to reckon with - away from, as well as, at home.
  • Options

Rashid now has the worst figures for a debutant

What are the odds on Pakistan's spinners bowling us out in 3 sessions? This is embarrassing.
    Too many England collapses have obvioudly jaded me. Great knock from Cook.
  • Options
    Could Cook go for 400?
  • Options

Rashid now has the worst figures for a debutant

What are the odds on Pakistan's spinners bowling us out in 3 sessions? This is embarrassing.
    Too many England collapses have obvioudly jaded me. Great knock from Cook.
    It would have been "interesting" though to see what would have happened if Cook had gone early.
  • Options

Could Cook go for 400?

Not if there's no one at the other end!
  • Options

Could Cook go for 400?

Possibly. With the pitch still not doing much & only a few days between the end of the 1st test & the start of the 2nd, England may decide to just bat out and keep Pakistan in the field for the rest of the test
  • Options
    468-5 at tea and just 55 behind

Cook 237* (471)

Stokes 16* (32)
  • Options
    500-5

Cook 246* (485)
    Stokes 39* (64)
  • Options
    500 up.

Cook 246
    Stokes 39