Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Florida passes new, mild, gun control laws.

NRA sue Florida one hour later
  • Options

You couldn't make it up....
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Oh the irony of the NRA seeking to argue as part of its case that it is discriminatory against young women. Don't know for certain, because the NRA is extremely secretive about its demographics, but I suspect I wouldn't go looking to them as a bastion of equality and advocacy for women's rights.
  • Options

Oh the irony of the NRA seeking to argue as part of its case that it is discriminatory against young women. Don't know for certain, because the NRA is extremely secretive about its demographics, but I suspect I wouldn't go looking to them as a bastion of equality and advocate for women's rights.
    Perhaps Congress can enact Federal laws that only allow women to bear arms. I wonder what the NRA would make of that?
  • Options

Still a standoff. I think he will give up at some point. Hopefully!

Word is the guy had PTSD, was a vet in Iraq, and was kicked out of the home because he was "too crazy" according to the son of one of the current hostages.

One quick way to stop these PTSD ex-vets from being menaces is to stop our nonsensical invasions of other countries and reduce the size of our military. We create these people ourselves. It's a self inflicted wound.

Re your last point, watched an old ‘Top of the Pops’ programme yesterday. Paul Hardcastle’s 19 was at No 1. The video accompaniment still sends shivers down my spine.
  • Options
    NRA is suing over Florida's new gun-control law stating that it is unconstitutional to take away the right of an 18 year old to buy an automatic rifle.
  • Options

Oh the irony of the NRA seeking to argue as part of its case that it is discriminatory against young women. Don't know for certain, because the NRA is extremely secretive about its demographics, but I suspect I wouldn't go looking to them as a bastion of equality and advocacy for women's rights.
    I noticed that since the Florida incident the NRA have been putting forward more female spokespeople. Including a young black women on Newsnight.
  • Options
    I saw the new alert in my phone when I woke up this morning. Glad you're alright Naps. It's a measure of the perversity of the situation that when I see three dead my first thought is "it could have been worse."

Regarding Vets with PTSD, it's something I've worked with in my day job. Things are definitely better than they were day 25 years ago after the Gulf War, let alone after Vietnam, both in terms of the stigma about speaking out and in terms of care, but it is a huge problem that goes largely unseen.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    It is very strange this occurred in my town, but then again not so strange. It seems to be happening everywhere.

This guy was kicked out just 2 weeks ago because he was scaring everyone. He went back and killed at least one of those that kicked him out. I know 4 people who know one victim and 1 that knows the other. I've never met any of them.

Apparently the killer was in Afghanistan of only one year. Curious to know what happened to him to get such bad PTSD.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does that mean Trump and the nra now have to call for care home workers to be armed? Gotta be consistent with these things.
  • Options

It is very strange this occurred in my town, but then again not so strange. It seems to be happening everywhere.

This guy was kicked out just 2 weeks ago because he was scaring everyone. He went back and killed at least one of those that kicked him out. I know 4 people who know one victim and 1 that knows the other. I've never met any of them.

Apparently the killer was in Afghanistan of only one year. Curious to know what happened to him to get such bad PTSD.

A year is a lifetime in some of the outposts there. We had a kid work for a former company of mine who was a supply line guy. Never involved in combat. And yet one night, in the middle of the night the base he was stationed at which was supposed to be very safe and well fortified was attacked by a truck bomb. Killed a friend of his. Has struggled to sleep ever since.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

A year is a lifetime in some of the outposts there. We had a kid work for a former company of mine who was a supply line guy. Never involved in combat. And yet one night, in the middle of the night the base he was stationed at which was supposed to be very safe and well fortified was attacked by a truck bomb. Killed a friend of his. Has struggled to sleep ever since.
    I use to think Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" was a bit over the top with the D'Onofrio character. Turns out, as is often the case, Kubrick was simply ahead of the curve.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Wasn't one of trump's great ideas to have armed veterans in schools to protect the kids?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    From my high school this morning.

14 chairs and three teachers' podiums.

Again, so floored by kids all over the country today.
  • Options
    sorry if you already mentioned but does that mean your old school also had an attack @SDAddick ?
  • Options

sorry if you already mentioned but does that mean your old school also had an attack @SDAddick ?

I’m guessing it’s out of respect for the 17 who died at Stoneman Douglas - 14 kids and 3 adults?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I’m guessing it’s out of respect for the 17 who died at Stoneman Douglas - 14 kids and 3 adults?
    Yeah this. It was a tribute to MSD.
  • Options
    If only his sister had a gun right?!?!
  • Options
    Yesterday a 13 year old girl died after llegedly being shot by her nine-year-old brother over a video game.
    They said the boy grabbed a gun on Saturday afternoon after his sister would not give up the controller.
    He allegedly shot her from behind, and the bullet entered her brain.

This happened in Mississippi and a investgation will take place. No change to guns laws.
  • Options
    Another high school shooting in Maryland today. First reports are three dead including the gunman. When will it stop?
  • Options
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/video/teachers-get-gun-training-to-protect-their-students-the-national-documentary/vp-BBKrWXg?ocid=spartandhp

this is worth your time - in my mind perfectly encapsulates why teachers are teachers and not marksmen/police/security guards
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    That country is so fucked.

Sorry to those of you that live there, but this news will be music to the ears of the NRA