Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    Ridiculous how much luck that Dutch twat gets. 
    Yeah because he has no talent.
    Oh he has but he's a massive twat
  • Options
    Sorry but Hamilton cant complain

Russell made the correct call, Leclerc was on softs as well ahead of the restart... If Russell had stayed on the medium then the podium was gone for Mercedes
    As someone who watches F1 but doesn't fully understand all the tactical ins and outs, can you explain me why Mercedes didn't pit Hamilton for softs when the safety car was called?
  • Options
    I am so pissed off about this race.
    Verstappen shouldn’t have won it and I really wanted those twatty orange fans who’ve never shown any interest in f1 until the last few years to go home disappointed.

Not Verstappen’s fault at all. But he needs to start getting some shit luck soon.
  • Options
    See the FIA are to 'investigate' the Tsunoda incident. Yeah,righto.
  • Options
    Sorry but Hamilton cant complain

Russell made the correct call, Leclerc was on softs as well ahead of the restart... If Russell had stayed on the medium then the podium was gone for Mercedes
    As someone who watches F1 but doesn't fully understand all the tactical ins and outs, can you explain me why Mercedes didn't pit Hamilton for softs when the safety car was called?
    I'm not sure to be honest.

As Verstappen was able to stop for the softs himself

Mercedes probably thought that the mediums would do better for the restart so didnt pit either driver - Russell realised during the SC that the tyre temps wouldn't hold up, so asked for the change.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Hal1x said:
    Because Mercedes don't have any influence over the teams it supplies engines to.
    Not the same thing... Red Bull / AlphaTauri are the same bloody team

Christian Horner did a recent SKY interview wearing AT kit.
    Not the same thing but bloody close
    No... No it isn't

Red Bull and AlphaTauri are owned by the same person.

Mercedes are simply an engine provider, if the likes of Mclaren / Aston Martin started getting orders to move out the way, they could go to another provider.
    The HAAS is basically last years Merc.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Hal1x said:
    Hal1x said:
    Hal1x said:
    Because Mercedes don't have any influence over the teams it supplies engines to.
    Not the same thing... Red Bull / AlphaTauri are the same bloody team

Christian Horner did a recent SKY interview wearing AT kit.
    Not the same thing but bloody close
    No... No it isn't

Red Bull and AlphaTauri are owned by the same person.

Mercedes are simply an engine provider, if the likes of Mclaren / Aston Martin started getting orders to move out the way, they could go to another provider.
    The HAAS is basically last years Merc.
    Erm... Haas have Ferrari engines, and have basically been loaned engineers from Ferrari... Haas and Merc have nothing to do with each other?

You might be getting confused with Racing Point who were accused of using an old Mercedes in 2020, but seem to recall the appeal from other teams being ignored.
  • Options
    The only chance Mercedes had of winning that race was to use their cars together. It should have been both pit or neither pit.
    George had no chance of challenging Max. Mercedes  certainly didn't make the best call for a team result.
  • Options
    Would love to be a fly on the wall in that Mercedes debrief. Feels like that might have been their shot for a win this season , unless we get some chaos later in the year or Lewis produces an Interlagos special again. 
  • Options
    The only chance Mercedes had of winning that race was to use their cars together. It should have been both pit or neither pit.
    George had no chance of challenging Max. Mercedes  certainly didn't make the best call for a team result.
    Nico Rosberg saying the same thing - either no tire changes, or both. If you were only going to let one guy change, it should have been Hamilton. Out of the four possible decisions, Mercedes picked the absolute worst. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yuki's interview post race is not helping the conspiracies lol!

He doesn't seem to have a clue as to what the hell went on with him either.
  • Options
    Mercedes and Ferrari have been poor making decisions this season, Red bull have the fastest car but at least make them work for it 
  • Options
    4th as good as 2nd for Hamilton, On the wrong tyres at the end but if he’d been on softs he’d have been behind Verstappen and wouldn’t have had the pace to pass Verstappen on track. Only way Merc were going to win today was by doing something different on strategy. It was looking like it might work until the VSC. After that the only thing to do that might get the win was hope the mediums warmed up quickly and then lasted better to the end of the race. Might as well finish 4th trying to win as settle for 2nd. 

Safety cars keep screwing Lewis though. Obviously last year, but also the win looked on at Silverstone this season until a safety car neutralized the race and now today. I’m not sure it wouldn’t be better to ban changing tyres under the safety car. With the fast degrading Pirelli’s much of the excitement comes from tyre offsets, but safety cars can completely neutralize that and are such a lottery in terms of the timing helps you or hinders you. 

Lewis didn’t help himself either in the restart, although it was matter of time until Verstappen passed him anyway. 
  • Options
    The disadvantage to the race leader of a safety car appears more pronounced this season than it was even in Abu Dhabi last year. Indy car closes the pit lane to prevent that advantage being gained until the safety car is coming in. They have refueling to consider and if a refueling stop is taken under a safety there is usually a time penalty where the pit lane is closed. I wonder whether this would work in F1

• Options
    I think they need to try something like that, as the safety car seems to give too much of an advantage to the following cars. I can’t think of any scenario where the leader would get the benefit. Maybe that’s what they want, to create some chaos, but closing the pits, at least until the field has formed behind the pace car might be a start. 
  • Options
    I think they need to try something like that, as the safety car seems to give too much of an advantage to the following cars. I can’t think of any scenario where the leader would get the benefit. Maybe that’s what they want, to create some chaos, but closing the pits, at least until the field has formed behind the pace car might be a start. 
    Wouldn't that disadvantage the leader even more though? If he can't pit, then the field has massively bunched up and is also potentially on older tyres?

It is all suppose to swing in roundabouts but more often than not I find it favours the front runners. If you banned tyre changes during VSC then realistically should you when it's a full SC or even black flagged?

It's a simple enough fix with VSCs as position and gaps remain so just ban pitting for tyre changes unless there is obvious damage.

I'd say for black flag, always restart from grid, one place penalty for any tyre changes.

Safety cars is the trickier one, maybe they could bunch them up and then as it's ending spread them back out into a VSC type situation.
  • Options
    Assume F1 isn't cancelled? Not sure anyone can stop Max really, cruising to the title. Be nice if Lewis/Russell can get a win somewhere but do they have the pace/reliability for this weekend? 
  • Options
    Assume F1 isn't cancelled? Not sure anyone can stop Max really, cruising to the title. Be nice if Lewis/Russell can get a win somewhere but do they have the pace/reliability for this weekend? 
    Lewis starting from the back apparently so no chance for him.
  • Options
    Could yet end up being an interesting race.

After all the last two winners of the race, have come from outside Red Bull (the main team) | Ferrari | Mercedes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Better not be cancelled as I’m about to get on a plane to Milan
  • Options
    Could yet end up being an interesting race.

After all the last two winners of the race, have come from outside Red Bull (the main team) | Ferrari | Mercedes.
    Yep i did see Lewis took a penalty with a couple of others, i forgot my bad. 

History suggests redbull wont do well, but surely they are the quickest car down the straights this year, so it would be a surprise. Hopefully lots of twists and dramas, ideally for redbull for a change to make it interesting. 
  • Options
    Shouldn't be - the FIA isn't a British association / organisation
  • Options
    Shouldn't be - the FIA isn't a British association / organisation
    FP1 just started so think we’re good
  • Options
    Looks like this might be one of the only sporting events that goes ahead. The Sky FP coverage is very low key. 
  • Options
    A crash for Isack Hadjar puts him out of F3 qualifying. Currently 8th, with 15mins left, but likely to drop out of the top 12, which will massively affect his chances of winning the championship.
  • Options
    Verstappen shouldn’t have won it and I really wanted those twatty orange fans who’ve never shown any interest in f1 until the last few years to go home disappointed.

Not Verstappen’s fault at all. But he needs to start getting some shit luck soon.
    I hate to tell you this but he's already had it with his two retirements and his problems at Silverstone. I can easily see this being a Vettel 2013 end to the season where he just sweeps victory at all of the remaining races.

• Options
    West2003 said:

I hate to tell you this but he's already had it with his two retirements and his problems at Silverstone. I can easily see this being a Vettel 2013 end to the season where he just sweeps victory at all of the remaining races.

Hopefully we dont get an exact Vettel repeat where he goes on to dominate for four years.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    West2003 said:

Hopefully we dont get an exact Vettel repeat where he goes on to dominate for four years.
    Except Vettel didn't dominate for four years from 2013, as that was the last of his championships.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    West2003 said:

Except Vettel didn't dominate for four years from 2013, as that was the last of his championships.
    I meant 2010-2013 when he did dominate for four years

The last bit of my comment was then talking about Verstappen going on to dominate for four years.