Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely delighted for Lando.

Like Russell when he won in Brazil, it put the ghost of Sakhir to bed... this puts that horrible day in Sochi to bed too
  • Options
    Bless him takes his helmet off after an age and you can see he's been tearing up
  • Options
    edited May 5
    Fantastic result for Lando, loved that Alonso walked a fair way to congratulate him, and how pleased all the other drivers seemed to be for him (not his team mate though I note!).
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Said it after he won F4 UAE, but Freddie Slater really is going to be the next one to come through from these shores - Only Round One of the Italian F4 Championship, but he's not even had to fight for position yet, hardest job he's had is getting off the line, and a few Safety Car restarts which he's nailed every time

It'll be interesting to see how he does when he steps into F3 and F2 and starts racing against other highly rated prospects in their second years etc.

Will be interesting to see how long it is until he's academy signed , I know the financial side of things aren't an issue for Freddie but I'd expect F1 teams to be eyeing him up. 
    Another karting rival of my son Jacob. They are all coming through. Next one to keep an eye on in two or three years will be Kenzo Craigie. In Mercs books now. 

Adrian Slater, Freddies old man, owns Bayliss and Harding. A cosmetics company. 

He basically gave up school a few years ago to just be out racing every weekend. But you still need talent.

His younger brother races Ginettas ( the first rung on the car ladder) against a driver my business sponsors - Henry Joslyn. Henry is also balls out quick as well - but proves you need talent and money as Alfie Slater is nowhere.
    I watched an interview with Ollie Bearman over the winter, who was saying his brother Thomas (?) was in karting, is he a name you've come across at all?

Yep - Thomas was average at best. Jacob beat him consistently.
  • Options
    Well pleased for Lando! 
  • Options
    Hoping this isn't a one off! 

Pleased for Lando. He chose well sticking with the team and the team doing the same. 
  • Options
    Got a bit of luck with the safety car timing, but once he was ahead, for a change, Verstappen and Red Bull had no answer. That was a fair and square win. 
  • Options
    So so so pleased for Lando finally getting his win. Controlled it perfectly after the SC 
  • Options
    Got a bit of luck with the safety car timing, but once he was ahead, for a change, Verstappen and Red Bull had no answer. That was a fair and square win. 
    Yeah but he had the pace. 
  • Options
    Haven't enjoyed a race that much for such a long time.
    Get in there Lando.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kmag had a shocker of a weekend must be close to a race ban after shunting Logan off
  • Options
    Kmag had a shocker of a weekend must be close to a race ban after shunting Logan off

2 points off after getting 8 in a weekend. Puts him and Haas in a very tricky position. Feels like it's when and not if he misses a race. 2 points in Imola and him missing Monaco would make life difficult with Fittipaldi racing the Indy 500 and Bearman with F2 commitments, Ferrari could have to lend them Giovinazzi I guess? 
  • Options
    edited May 6
    MarcusH26 said:

2 points off after getting 8 in a weekend. Puts him and Haas in a very tricky position. Feels like it's when and not if he misses a race. 2 points in Imola and him missing Monaco would make life difficult with Fittipaldi racing the Indy 500 and Bearman with F2 commitments, Ferrari could have to lend them Giovinazzi I guess? 
    I hope Ferrari don't try to protect Bearman's F2 season by putting Giovinazzi in the Haas instead, or even Fittipaldi - If KMag gets a race ban, then its the perfect test for Bearman to show what he can do in the actual car he'll be driving next season.

Feels like Bearman's actual F2 campaign is already "over"
  • Options
    WEC has been amazing today... What with the FIA resetting the clock, and allowing the last 2-hours of racing, rather than just calling it off

As a result; Callum Ilott is set to win along with Will Stevens, and Hertz Team Jota - Delighted for Callum after his IndyCar mess
  • Options
    WEC has been amazing today... What with the FIA resetting the clock, and allowing the last 2-hours of racing, rather than just calling it off

As a result; Callum Ilott is set to win along with Will Stevens, and Hertz Team Jota - Delighted for Callum after his IndyCar mess

A penny for Ricardo Juncos's thoughts after his behaviour towards Callum. 
  • Options
    edited May 11
    MarcusH26 said:

A penny for Ricardo Juncos's thoughts after his behaviour towards Callum. 
    Probably doesnt have the common sense to care

Penny for F1's thoughts too.

Was a very outlandish approach from WEC to go straight back to the 2-hours, as it took about that long to make the repairs... Had that been F1 they'd have told everyone to just piss off home.
  • Options

Agree . I stuck with it the whole 6 hours plus and it was entertainment from start to finish. Mick drove a blinder carrying that 36 as well. F1 could learn so much from wec 
  • Options
    Albon has signed a new deal with Williams, taking him off the table for now. 

Wolff is still representing Ocon so it looks like he's trying to get him placed in a different team, Schumi Jr. is rumoured to be up for an Alpine seat as he drives for them in WEC. 

I'm still intrigued as to who gets that second Red Bull seat, I can't see Perez retaining it, but unless Sainz goes back I'm struggling to see who can replace him and be competitive enough 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Albon has signed a new deal with Williams, taking him off the table for now. 

Wolff is still representing Ocon so it looks like he's trying to get him placed in a different team, Schumi Jr. is rumoured to be up for an Alpine seat as he drives for them in WEC. 

I'm still intrigued as to who gets that second Red Bull seat, I can't see Perez retaining it, but unless Sainz goes back I'm struggling to see who can replace him and be competitive enough 

I just can't see Sainz going back , I still think Mercedes have their eye on him despite the Antonelli rumours swirling. I can completely understand anyone wanting out of Alpine really, the team is a disaster and will probably go through more senior management changes when the Renault bigwigs get bored again. 
  • Options
    Not surprised about Albon... I can slowly see Perez keeping that second seat @ Red Bull

Wonder if Ocon will be an option at Mercedes if Antonelli goes to Williams, and Sainz goes elsewhere

Perfect seat warmer until they can get who they really want.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No Crofty on Comms this weekend , this is one of the 3 races he's missing so Harry Benjamin steps up from F3/BBC Radio coverage as main commentator. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    No Crofty on Comms this weekend , this is one of the 3 races he's missing so Harry Benjamin steps up from F3/BBC Radio coverage as main commentator. 
    I must admit I find Croft incredibly grating at times, so will be interesting to see if there's a markedly big difference
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    What a result. Been getting on my nerves in recent races.
  • Options
    edited May 16
    Martinius Stenshorne and Alex Dunne have joined the Mclaren Academy

Great news for Alex, given the funding issues he'd been having prior to getting an F3 seat, he's had a pretty solid start to his campaign for a rookie too - Its only really Bortoleto and Ugochukwu in that Academy as well at the moment.

Even if none get into F1, do Mclaren have perhaps the best portfolio in terms of racing series options?
  • Options
    Martinius Stenshorne and Alex Dunne have joined the Mclaren Academy

Great news for Alex, given the funding issues he'd been having prior to getting an F3 seat, he's had a pretty solid start to his campaign for a rookie too - Its only really Bortoleto and Ugochukwu in that Academy as well at the moment.

Even if none get into F1, do Mclaren have perhaps the best portfolio in terms of racing series options?

Massively excited to see Dunne picked up , probably the top talent that wasn't academy affiliated. Stenshorne has looked quick too, gives them long term options as realistically they won't be F1 options until 2027 at the earliest and who knows what the driver market will look like by then. Not entirely sure what the deal is with Taylor Barnard if he counts as academy or not? 
  • Options
    Mixed day for Stenshorne, he's been suspended when F3 goes to Silverstone, because he took part in the Silverstone weekend of GB3 without FIA permission
  • Options
    edited May 17
    Decent run from Bearman in FP1, especially after his crash in F2 Practice - Great that his Engineer came over the radio basically saying: "We're leaving you to it, because your doing a decent job"

How he adapts now going back to F2 for Quali in an hour will be interesting to watch.
  • Options
    Ferrari upgrades seem to be making a big difference anmd both Piastri and Norris settiong fast times in FP2.  With Verstappen struggling - hoping for an exciting qualy and race.
  • Options
    Seems like an utter mess with the F2 Qualifying today.

Bearman got P2, dropped to P19 after exceeding track limits that no one knew about, bumped to P16 after others were also given penalties... Now he's been given P2 back
  • Options
    Seems like an utter mess with the F2 Qualifying today.

Bearman got P2, dropped to P19 after exceeding track limits that no one knew about, bumped to P16 after others were also given penalties... Now he's been given P2 back
    A massive mess.
    P16 would have been weekend over. P2 gives him a chance to showcase himself in addition to what he did in F1 FP1.