Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• 4 races too late
  • I’m not as knowledgeable as others, but can someone explain why Ferrari had no concerns that Le Clerc running such a long sting on those tires that degradation wouldn’t have taken the car under the weight limit a la Russell recently? 
  • I’m not as knowledgeable as others, but can someone explain why Ferrari had no concerns that Le Clerc running such a long sting on those tires that degradation wouldn’t have taken the car under the weight limit a la Russell recently? 
    I think Mercedes also put the car slightly under weight, as going by radio messages with Russell I imagine they didnt expect the one stop to work pre-race, so made the car as light as possible for a two stop to work - As even Russell at Zandvoort last week said he wasnt overly surprised by the DSQ.

It probably wouldnt have amounted to much, but Leclerc was also able to collect rubber on the parade lap, whereas Russell couldn't at Spa.
  • I'd love to see a Steward brave enough to DSQ a Ferrari after a win / celebration like that had he been underweight ;)
  • I think he could ease back a bit too in the last couple of laps which will have added a bit of fuel weight, it was worth a punt and it paid off
  • sam3110 said:
    For once Ferrari actually decided on a strategy, stuck to it, and it paid off. 

Pigs can fly after all
    Wasn't Charles moaning on team radio after the first (and, turns out, only) pit stop as he thought they'd fucked it up again?
  • Rizzo said:
    sam3110 said:
    For once Ferrari actually decided on a strategy, stuck to it, and it paid off. 

Pigs can fly after all
    Wasn't Charles moaning on team radio after the first (and, turns out, only) pit stop as he thought they'd fucked it up again?
    He certainly was, ha. Wanted to go longer as they'd lost a place through the undercut.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Ferrari of old (so about a month ago) would have pitted Leclerc as soon as the others pitted for the second time and would have finished 5th or 6th
  • I was waiting for Leclerc to completely fall away as has so often happened in the past with Ferrari Strategy calls when they try to push something novel. 

With McLaren I'm not overly bothered , Zak and Andrea want to run with " 2 No1s" and Papaya Rules being letting them race so they need to live with the consequences of that decision.

Landos lap 1 foibles and the media interviews where he seems to constantly blame himself against Oscar who seems completely unflappable but just needs to find a bit more in Qualy is a super interesting battle for the rest of the season. I still think the WCC is well in their hands without messing around with team orders. 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/cy54vnn70veo

Eddie Jordan refusing to comment on something for the first time ever. Looks like Newey to Aston is ready to be announced next week. 
  • Mclaren may still get away with their tactical mistakes in terms of Norris as Red Bull seems to be imploding. The biggest problem for Red Bull though was the FIA outlawing the breaking cheat which gave them a massive advantage, especially on tyre degradation. I say cheat but it is a grey area as all teams try to circumnavigate the rules but this one which applied different breaking force to the rear wheels when cornering seems to have been a step too far.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/c3w6y694406o

Objections by Red Bull and Ferrari into the front wings of the McLaren and Mercedes cars have been dismissed by the FIA
  • F1 is so funny, someone has a better car than you so they must be cheating! You have the best car and there’s no way you’ve cheated!
  • It's just standard practice, all the teams do it, whether the team in question is winning or not. 
  • sam3110 said:
    It's just standard practice, all the teams do it, whether the team in question is winning or not. 
    Of course, it’s just very F1
  • Bearman confirmed for Haas
  • edited September 6
    Do hope that Mini gets to replace Bearman in F2, although will be rooting for Lindblad to get the seat.

Going to be good to see how Bearman does with a full F1 weekend, with the team he's racing for next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/c4gqd8lz9g1o

30m a year makes up for having to work with the Stroll’s
  • So what are the odds of AM going to win 3-4 world titles from ‘26 onwards?
  • So what are the odds of AM going to win 3-4 world titles from ‘26 onwards?
    low if they keep the current driver line up
  • I'd expect Alonso to retire end of 25' and for Lawrence to try and blank cheque Verstappen. Alternatively if Toto gets Verstappen to Merc , Russell to AM could be a sneaky good move.

Lance has the safest seat in the sport and as much as I think WEC should be his future it won't be. 
  • Worth remembering though that Red Bull didnt win anything for three / four years after Newey joined them.

So instant results shouldn't automatically be expected.

He'll end up becoming an absolute legend (He already is to be fair), if he designs an AM winning car
  • If McLaren start adopting team orders, they have to be favourites for both titles. Now things can go up and down but if they maintain their superiority over Red Bull, and avoid DNFs, they have two drivers who will finish in front of Max. Assuming Max finishes third, that's 10 points a race - not including fastest lap points and sprint finish points. So technically they have a great chance without relying on Ferrari and Mercedes.

In fact those two teams can help Red Bull if they take points from McLaren. But the problem is, they are probably going to take more points from Red Bull than McLaren. If McLaren hadn't been racing each other they could have got a 1-2 in the last race. And that is the biggest thing they need to do to make them favourites to win the drivers championship. Races are running out and I can't see how they haven't reached this conclusion. 
  • Do hope that Mini gets to replace Bearman in F2, although will be rooting for Lindblad to get the seat.

Going to be good to see how Bearman does with a full F1 weekend, with the team he's racing for next season.

https://www.fiaformula2.com/Latest/PKQEDLmbThROeubdcDKui/gabriele-mini-to-replace-oliver-bearman-at-prema-racing-in-baku

Mini confirmed which will be good to see. 
  • Looks like F2 is going to see quite a change this weekend now.

Mini in @ Prema - Mansell in @ Trident for Stanek, now O'Sullivan is out @ ART for the season after a lack of funding.

I'm surprised actually that Mansell hasnt replaced Zak at ART, given thats who he raced in F3 with.
  • Looks like F2 is going to see quite a change this weekend now.

Mini in @ Prema - Mansell in @ Trident for Stanek, now O'Sullivan is out @ ART for the season after a lack of funding.

I'm surprised actually that Mansell hasnt replaced Zak at ART, given thats who he raced in F3 with.

O'Sullivan is very surprising, I thought he was quite well backed. Unless he's got something for 2025 and his sponsors would rather back that? 

Tsolov the obvious move?
  • edited September 9
    MarcusH26 said:
    Looks like F2 is going to see quite a change this weekend now.

O'Sullivan is very surprising, I thought he was quite well backed. Unless he's got something for 2025 and his sponsors would rather back that? 

Tsolov the obvious move?
    Yeah I'd hope he's got the Prema seat for 2025 in F2 after racing with them in F3, he's certainly looked better than Martins in that ART seat this season, and agree with you over Tsolov being the obvious replacement for him. Just hope we don't get another Koolen type driver!!

Noticed as well that Thomas Bearman will be in the Euro 4 Championship this weekend, and so racing the likes of Freddie Slater - Tough gig for him, gets his first Single Seater race, and his Brother is stepping in F1 the same weekend.