Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Surely the gap to Verstappen is too big anyway. Even if Lando keeps winning (which is unlikely as he's only won 2 of this years 15 races), as long as MV keeps ticking along with 2nd places that'll be enough for him won't it?
    Yes and Verstappen knows it.  Will accept days like today and coming second - he's almost certain to win the drivers championship because of the early season wins.  What's really up for grabs is the constructors championship.  As long as Norris and Piastri both keep scoring well and Perez keeps letting Red Bull down then Mclaren will get the constructors.
  • I think Lando will need to win every race and get fastest lap exc any sprints left.
  • But it's not certain Max will finish second every race, Mercedes, Ferrari and Piastri all chipping away at him too whilst Lando piling up wins will be the only way it happens, it's still a long shot but being 20 seconds ahead is no mean feat
  • Reports from ESPN that Williams have put in an approach to loan Liam Lawson for the rest of the season to replace Logan Sargeant. 
  • Piastri could make it interesting, by wiping Verstappen out a few times should he qualify ahead of him 😀
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Reports from ESPN that Williams have put in an approach to loan Liam Lawson for the rest of the season to replace Logan Sargeant. 
    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when Antonelli is literally in the car on Friday
  • sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Reports from ESPN that Williams have put in an approach to loan Liam Lawson for the rest of the season to replace Logan Sargeant. 
    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when Antonelli is literally in the car on Friday
    Wont Antonelli be in the Mercedes for FP1?
  • sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Yeah Kimi is in the Merc , Toto wants him to finish F2 and do a load of running in older cars as opposed to driving the Williams. 

And I think Williams are all good for rookie FP1s anyway?
  • sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Ah I misheard I thought he was in the Williams in FP1.

I'd still stick him in ahead of Lawson
  • A couple of DNFs and Lando is within reach. This will be on Verstappen's mind and it is ironic as he used this in his early career to intimidate drivers with something to lose.
  • Sponsored links:

• A couple of DNFs and Lando is within reach. This will be on Verstappen's mind and it is ironic as he used this in his early career to intimidate drivers with something to lose.
    Doesn't even necessarily need Verstappen to have DNFs. He needs to win quite a few of the remaining 9 races and needs Piastri, Hamilton, Russell, Leclerc and Sainz to geti involved near the front, finishing often ahead of Max. 25 points for a win and only 12/10 for 4th/5th. A few of those and things start to get interesting.
  • I bet there'll be some choice words if Lando finishes <8 points behind Max at the end of the season. Giving Oscar that maiden win could prove costly. 
  • Sounds like Lawson to Williams is off because Horner wants a recall clause. Mick Schumacher or promoting Franco Colapinto from F2 now seem to be the main options. 
  • Rizzo said:
    I bet there'll be some choice words if Lando finishes <8 points behind Max at the end of the season. Giving Oscar that maiden win could prove costly. 
    However it turns out, it was the right thing to do.
  • edited August 27
    MarcusH26 said:
    Sounds like Lawson to Williams is off because Horner wants a recall clause. Mick Schumacher or promoting Franco Colapinto from F2 now seem to be the main options. 
    Might as well just leave Logan Sargeant in the seat... Schumacher wrecked his Haas just as much as Sargeant has done for Williams, and read earlier that Colapinto doesnt have a Super License?
  • edited August 27
    Heavy rumours Williams are announcing Colapinto later today. That's a massive turn up for the books because I can't see where he gets his SL points from even with the COVID exemption? Obviously he's done FP1s but unless he's done mega amounts of private testing I can't get to 40 points? 

I've got him on 34 unless I'm missing something?
  • edited August 27
    MarcusH26 said:
    Heavy rumours Williams are announcing Colapinto later today. That's a massive turn up for the books because I can't see where he gets his SL points from even with the COVID exemption? Obviously he's done FP1s but unless he's done mega amounts of private testing I can't get to 40 points? 

I read something on Reddit earlier, about the heavy amount of Sponsorship being thrown from the Argentinians. Really dont see the point of it... Just hope that no one goes near Colapinto in a race, because I suspect they'll get the Canapino treatment.

I just suspect if that happens, Franco will be a bit smarter dealing with it.

Wonder who'll take Colapinto's seat in F2 - Browning after Monza?
  • edited August 27
    MarcusH26 said:

I read something on Reddit earlier, about the heavy amount of Sponsorship being thrown from the Argentinians. Really dont see the point of it... Just hope that no one goes near Colapinto in a race, because I suspect they'll get the Canapino treatment.

I just suspect if that happens, Franco will be a bit smarter dealing with it.

Wonder who'll take Colapinto's seat in F2 - Browning after Monza?

Yeah I'm surprised its Colapinto and not Zak O'Sullivan. Didn't know if the new Argentine government might have stopped throwing money at sports sponsorships too. 

I'd expect Luke Browning to step up after Monza , I don't think MP would promote Alex Dunne or Tramnitz. 

Then there's still the heavy rumours of Bortoleto with help from Alonso and a load of Brazilian sponsors to grab the second Sauber seat. 
  • edited August 27
    Colapinto confirmed: https://x.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1828462538796704214

Feels very much a sideways move for the team, hope he doesnt mess up... Not just for himself, but for the future of the Williams Academy, else its going to be difficult for Vowles to persuade the owners that rookies should be put in the car.
  • Colapinto confirmed: https://x.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1828462538796704214

Feels very much a sideways move for the team, hope he doesnt mess up... Not just for himself, but for the future of the Williams Academy, else its going to be difficult for Vowles to persuade the owners that rookies should be put in the car.

I think Vowles is safe as houses because he's got Albon & Sainz in his back pocket for the next 2 seasons. This is purely a " we've got to make a change this is untenable with Logan, who's available" move - Horner seems to have killed the Lawson move in case Marko wakes up one morning and drops Perez , Schumacher has WEC commitments and I don't think they wanted to go begging around to Sauber for Pourchaire or ask Toto for Fred Vesti. Which has left them with ultimately promoting internally - personally I think Luke Browning is actually the ace talent in the Williams Academy but he's obviously not ready yet, quite the rise for Colapinto from a fast but underfunded F3 driver 12 months ago to an F1 driver. Also helps Williams with their academy if they are going after someone like a Freddie Slater....
  • Sponsored links:

• What a weird move, Schumi Jr, Lawson, hell I'd have put in a cheeky phonecall to one of the IndyCar guys over Colapinto, who hasn't exactly pulled up trees in F2 this year so far
  • edited August 27
    sam3110 said:
    What a weird move, Schumi Jr, Lawson, hell I'd have put in a cheeky phonecall to one of the IndyCar guys over Colapinto, who hasn't exactly pulled up trees in F2 this year so far
    Sargeant wasn't gonna score a heap of points for the remainder of the year, so if the new guy doesn't either its no biggy, SO LONG as he don't cost the team a fortune in repairs and man hours by not shunting the car on as regular a basis as Sargeant.
  • Hal1x said:
    sam3110 said:
    What a weird move, Schumi Jr, Lawson, hell I'd have put in a cheeky phonecall to one of the IndyCar guys over Colapinto, who hasn't exactly pulled up trees in F2 this year so far
    Sargeant wasn't gonna score a heap of points for the remainder of the year, so if the new guy doesn't either its no biggy, SO LONG as he don't cost the team a fortune in repairs and man hours by not shunting the car on as regular a basis as Sargeant.
    To be fair no guarantee that Albon will get many points for the remainder of the year - He's only finished in the points twice this season. 
  • https://imgur.com/a/unsafety-car-Y1AbYpd

Safety car crash at Monza! 
    Quite scary actually, looks like something failed (maybe the brakes?) and therefore the driver had no choice but to pitch it into a spin to try and scrub off as much speed as possible. 
  • Plot twist, Stroll was driving.. 
  • Oh dear Kimi... Thats the last thing he wanted
  • Looks like a horrible midcorner snap there , doesn't look like anything Kimi really did wrong 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Looks like a horrible midcorner snap there , doesn't look like anything Kimi really did wrong 
    Going to give a lot of amateur F1 journalists something to write about though unfortunately
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Looks like a horrible midcorner snap there , doesn't look like anything Kimi really did wrong 
    Going to give a lot of amateur F1 journalists something to write about though unfortunately

A lot of amateur F1 journalists that don't think Ollie or Kimi belong on the grid because Prema can't wrap their heads around the new F2 car....