Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• When all is considered, I can’t help but think Lewis is a deserving winner though. Tbh - he was clearly the quickest guy out there but I can’t help but think the team are favouring George on every strategy at the moment. He had no choice to roll the dice luck Button sometimes did and whilst he did well, the fact he was underweight highlighted how quick Lewis was.

1.5kg can be 3 secs in race time. This lost Lewis the race 
  • edited July 29
    I don't think the team favoured Russell. Hamilton had to cover off his race rivals' strategy and Russell had no chance so could afford to risk the one stop. In terms of the weight issue, I suppose you look at the weight of the tread lost on the tyres. That would be 1.5kg divided by 4 which then doesn't seem so much. Something we often see at the end of races is cars going off on the marbles to pick up weight which suggests this is a marginal thing. Also, you can't do this at the end of a race at Spa because of it's length and the way you have to double back to parc ferme.

Hamilton was the deserving winner though.
  • https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/f1-young-driver-standalone-race-proposal-revealed/

Suggestions of a standalone mini event for young drivers that is tacked onto the Post season Abu Dhabi test , sounds interesting as long as teams can't just "highest bidder" the seats. 
  • edited July 29
    Sainz has gone to Williams for 2025.
  • I'm shocked Sainz has gone to Williams, that's a big coup for James Vowles and the owners. Gives them an excellent lineup for the future with Sainz and Albon. Just need to deliver a car that can show their potential.
  • I'm not as it sounded one of the more viable rumours, equally read (unsurprisingly) that he has a get out clause to go and join a big team if one comes calling.

So sounds a sensible plan of action for Carlos, but imagine that paves the way for Antonelli to join Mercedes, as do they really have any other genuine options now?
  • Crazy, I had them down as the rank outsiders for his signature a couple of months ago, suddenly there's a couple of seats at Alpine and Audi that, if they get their act together, can be very good options for someone. Also all but confirms Antonelli will get a chance straight in at Mercedes. 
  • edited July 29
    Wonder who'll take the Alpine and Audi seats now... the options look very meh!! for the latter now, might as well either stick with Bottas or give Pourchaire a go.

Alpine really does seem a shoot out between Schumacher and Doohan
  • Wonder who'll take the Alpine and Audi seats now... the options look very meh!! for the latter now, might as well either stick with Bottas or give Pourchaire a go.

Think it's Bottas to stay at Audi , Pourchaire will end up in Indycar and Maloney has had a weird second half of the season in F2. 

Alpine not going Doohan would make their academy look stupid. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Wonder who'll take the Alpine and Audi seats now... the options look very meh!! for the latter now, might as well either stick with Bottas or give Pourchaire a go.

Think it's Bottas to stay at Audi , Pourchaire will end up in Indycar and Maloney has had a weird second half of the season in F2. 

They've already achieved that with the Piastri fiasco... But yeah Maloney has really fallen away in F2, so see him taking the FE route
  • Sponsored links:

• All depends on the rumoured Schumi Jr/Mercedes engines double deal
  • MarcusH26 said:

They've already achieved that with the Piastri fiasco... But yeah Maloney has really fallen away in F2, so see him taking the FE route

FE looks to be in complete flux driver wise so I could easily see that being a route for Maloney. 

With Alpine they've only really got Mini in the academy who looks to be putting anything good together - the rest of them especially Martins are incredibly inconsistent. 
  • You equally have to wonder what this news does for the likes of Colapinto  - O'Sullivan - Browning...

The Williams Academy is pretty decent, however they've probably got a massive roadblock in front of them now (Even for 2026 onwards), as even the Albon options for moving forward are pretty limited.
  • They'll take the WCC still simply because Mercedes and McLaren will keep taking points off eachother
  • sam3110 said:
    Crazy, I had them down as the rank outsiders for his signature a couple of months ago, suddenly there's a couple of seats at Alpine and Audi that, if they get their act together, can be very good options for someone. Also all but confirms Antonelli will get a chance straight in at Mercedes. 
    Maybe not such a crazy decision. I thought the days of non-works teams challenging at the front of F1 were done but McLaren are showing that can still be done. 

Audi’s entry seems to be in a bit of a mess right now and Binotto was not exactly an unqualified success at Ferrari so there is lots for everyone to prove there. 

Alpine are going backwards fast, Williams and even Haas are faster right now.

If he couldn’t get one of the two potentially open top seats (Mercedes or Red Bull then Williams probably are not such a bad choice. Only probably Aston are clearly ahead of them in the midfield runners. The rest of the midfield/lower order seems to change on a race by race by race basis. 
  • edited July 31
    Anyone else think that French swimming superstar Leon Marchand looks a bit like Lando Norris?
  • https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/doohan-close-to-alpine-f1-2025-race-deal/10640891/

Looks like Alpine are going for promoting Jack Doohan as opposed to any external options or Mick Schumacher.
  • https://x.com/ChrisMedlandF1/status/1818980328905597313?t=gpQB56xyKmmJIOQpZhTbRg&s=19

Audi appoint current Red Bull Sporting Director Johnathan Wheatley as Team Principal - will see the season out with Red Bull and then go on Gardening Leave.
  • Red Bull falling apart, love to see it. Max to Merc next 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody hell!!
  • I think Wheatley is probably one like a James Vowles to Williams situation where he knows he's never getting the top job so if he wants to be a TP he needs to get away from Red Bull.

However that's another long term Horner lieutenant and someone that's been around Red Bull for all of their success both with Vettel and Verstappen leaving the team. 
  • As the car gets slower (compared to its rivals) Max gets more powerful. Hence I suspect the reason they have kept Perez on for the rest of the season.
  • Wonder how much money Carlos Slim via Telmex and his various other companies is paying Red Bull to keep Perez.... Got to be a hefty chunk of change to keep him around. 
  • Newey has allegedly signed for Aston. T'internet reckons Max to follow in 2026.
  • edited August 6
    Boo not a big fan of Aston Martin. But moving to Honda engines and all the ex Red Bull staff already they are on the way to becoming Red Bull mk 2
  • The thing with Aston is how long will Lawrence tolerate Lance being below par? All this investment in facilities and technical staff only for one of the cars to be a constant Q1 exit isn't a good look. If you're hiring Newey you've got to be eyeing up a 2026 title shot 
  • Alonso will be another 2 years older too 
  • I think Alonso retires end of 2025 from F1 but he'll never stop racing. Would make a very interesting driver market. 
  • Strolls aim is to make his boy world champion - don’t think Lance is going anywhere