Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• edited July 21
    The right thing happened in the end. Will be interesting for the rest of the season , although now Oscar has his Sunday win maybe it will be a bit easier to manage. 
  • The trophies look like massive urns 
  • Real lack of professionalism on the Radio from a few of them today. Norris didn’t cover himself in glory but if my kid spoke to me the way Verstappen spoke to his engineer they’d be grounded for a week. Although his engineer made a few sarcastic remarks. That was perhaps understandable given how he was being spoken to , but didn’t help. It’s an indication of the culture at that team, and I suspect there won’t be too many consequences for Verstappen within the team so was glad his petulance led to a crash that affected only him and lost him points. He’s a brilliant driver but so unlikable. 

At least made for some drama at what tends to be a fairly dull track. 
  • Real lack of professionalism on the Radio from a few of them today. Norris didn’t cover himself in glory but if my kid spoke to me the way Verstappen spoke to his engineer they’d be grounded for a week. Although his engineer made a few sarcastic remarks. That was perhaps understandable given how he was being spoken to , but didn’t help. It’s an indication of the culture at that team, and I suspect there won’t be too many consequences for Verstappen within the team so was glad his petulance led to a crash that affected only him and lost him points. He’s a brilliant driver but so unlikable. 

As much as I’m a fan of Lando, he does come across as a whiney prick a times.

As much as I’m a fan of Lando, he does come across as a whiney prick a times.
    Trying to be like his mate Max.
  • I’d like the drivers to be able to switch between team radio and driver radio so they can give each other a good slagging 
  • edited July 21
    MarcusH26 said:
    The Verstappen and GP Lambasse radio today was absolutely embarrassing from Max and yet he doesn't seem to see anything wrong with how he behaved. 

I hope there's a proper debrief from the higher ups but I doubt it. 
    He hasn't before and he won't when it happens again in the future. Red Bull management have made a rod for their own backs by not doing something about it earlier.
    Clearly doesn't like not having a dominant car and is starting to throw his toys out of the pram.

I think the rest of the season is going to be absolutely fascinating to see how Red Bull handle things. Not the fastest car anymore , driver issues on both sides of the garage and the departure of Newey. I still think they'll get a couple of wins but the days of Max checking out by 15 secs and going for a Sunday afternoon drive with no one near him are absolutely gone and I think he's finding that hard to cope with.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The Verstappen and GP Lambasse radio today was absolutely embarrassing from Max and yet he doesn't seem to see anything wrong with how he behaved. 

He hasn't before and he won't when it happens again in the future. Red Bull management have made a rod for their own backs by not doing something about it earlier.
    Clearly doesn't like not having a dominant car and is starting to throw his toys out of the pram.

I think the rest of the season is going to be absolutely fascinating to see how Red Bull handle things. Not the fastest car anymore , driver issues on both sides of the garage and the departure of Newey. I still think they'll get a couple of wins but the days of Max checking out by 15 secs and going for a Sunday afternoon drive with no one near him are absolutely gone and I think he's finding that hard to cope with.
    Let's hope that it continues to get worse for them and the team pulls itself apart.
  • Team orders are shite and a mockery 

Imagine being second in the championship and being instructed to give up a win. 

hard enough to convince people it is not just the best car that wins without giving undeserved victories out. 

• edited July 21
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Let's hope that it continues to get worse for them and the team pulls itself apart.
    your hatred of Red Bull is just weird! they are based in the UK, employ British staff and help our economy, why would you want them to fail?
  • edited July 21
    Christ... Was a crazy crash in IndyCar... Few lucky to be walking away from that!!

Pato O'Ward ended up getting hit three times, and had his engine restart in the process
  • Hal1x said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

your hatred of Red Bull is just weird! they are based in the UK, employ British staff and help our economy, why would you want them to fail?
    Since when has that been a marker for supporting a team? 

Wont ever find me cheering Liverpool in a European competition 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 21
    SOTF said:
    Max Verstappen’s PR team have a much easier job when he’s a minute up the road from anyone else. The slightest hint of actually having to race and you’re instantly reminded how unlikeable he is.
    He could be 10 minutes up the road and have the best PR team in the world, but he'd still be an unlikeable git.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Another interesting F1 race. Think Lando made an error, he should have let him pass much earlier and then gone after him! Good to see Hamilton get his 200th podium.
    I think he hoped that his team mate would take himself out of contention, have an accident.or.suffer.an issue. Stay in front as.long as possible and hope you don't have to give the place back
  • Only just watched the 8 min highlights, why did Norris have to let Piastri by? Seemed well ahead.

Did Max just hate everyone today? 
  • Only just watched the 8 min highlights, why did Norris have to let Piastri by? Seemed well ahead.

I think they’d agreed as a team that whichever driver was leading at a certain point would be the lead driver and rather than them racing each other their strategy would be to protect the one two in that order.

Piastri was ahead until McLaren done him dirty by pitting Lando first and undercutting him. Lando was adamant that he was faster all race and would have passed him on track anyway but McLaren weren't having it and told him to swap. Lando then got a bit petulant and was showing how much pace he had by pulling away from Piastri, and eventually relented with 3 laps to go after repeatedly being told there's a bigger picture and he needs to think of the whole team
  • Norris came across as a bit of a prick to Lewis in the cool down room. Hamilton complimenting by saying ‘man, you guys were fast’ and Lando randomly throws some comment about Lewis having a fast car 7 years back. All very odd.
  • edited July 22
    Not sure why some people seem to be complaining about the radio behaviour. From a fans point of view it’s fantastic and adds an extra dimension to the race. Verstappen meltdowns and radio rudeness should be encouraged in the same vein as John McEnroe’s outbursts. 

Would be completely bland if if was just vanilla stuff. Remember race control determine what they do and what they don’t put out, so it might not always be the full picture. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Only just watched the 8 min highlights, why did Norris have to let Piastri by? Seemed well ahead.

Piastri was ahead until McLaren done him dirty by pitting Lando first and undercutting him. Lando was adamant that he was faster all race and would have passed him on track anyway but McLaren weren't having it and told him to swap. Lando then got a bit petulant and was showing how much pace he had by pulling away from Piastri, and eventually relented with 3 laps to go after repeatedly being told there's a bigger picture and he needs to think of the whole team

I was waiting for Andrea Stella to takeover the radio like Toto does sometimes if the Mercedes aren't doing what they are told to do. I know Lando has had Will as his race engineer for years but you could tell things were getting more and more terse the longer it went on. 
  • Seemed a bizarre decision to pit Lando first when Oscar was in the lead and I'm fairly sure the explanation of covering off Lewis was just made as an excuse. They basically seemed to hand the race to Lando and then tell him to hand it back again. 

No tears for Max, whiny little shit.