Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Couldn’t hear it properly but sounded like Lewis was asking Lando why he didn’t go on the mediums
    He was and Lando will be asking himself the same. I would blame the team. It sounded, at the time, like they gave him the choice of following Lewis on the softs or Max on the hards.
    I do question McLaren on strategy quite a lot. This isn't the first win they've thrown away on strategy calls. I think if they play it better they could have had a 1-2 with Oscars pace at the end. 
    I doubt it could have been a 1-2 based just on the final decision but it certainly could have been a win for Lando. Their decision not to double-stack definitely cost Oscar massively and took him out of the equation.

Yeah 2 botched calls ultimately cost them with both drivers. I think they need to take strategic calls out of the driver's hands and just trust the engineers a bit more. 

I have no doubt they'll win potentially multiple times this season but this feels like one that's got away. 
    The tyres were Lando’s call. He was given the choice with the medium and was heard saying that soft were the best option now just before he came in. Brilliant drive otherwise and he’ll learn from this,

But that was a perfect day for Lewis. Absolutely loved his reactions at the end and the way everyone was so happy for him.  It’s obviously been hugely frustrating over the last two & a half years and that all came out at the end.  Brilliant for him 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Great race. Great to see multiple teams challenging for a win. I was surprised to see Mercedes go onto softs at the end, let alone Lando. McLaren shouldn’t have given him the option and just put him on the mediums. The undercut probably won it for Lewis, I think. By being that couple of seconds ahead after the last pit stops, he could manage his pace a bit more and nurse the tyres a bit. Lando had to push hard immediately and that is probably why his tyre deg was so much worse. Has they come out the other way around it might have been the opposite result.

It was all vintage Lewis though. 

Russel unlucky again. 
  • Are we looking at Hungary as the Last Chance Saloon for Perez? Red Bull can't afford for him to have another weekend like Silverstone if they value the WCC as a championship or even another sloppy weekend where he sneaks into Q3 , qualifies around 7th-9th and finishes around there in the race wouldn't be good enough. 

I don't know if Danny Ric is the answer , but I suspect we might get the chance to find out. 

• Well done to the GOAT.
  • edited July 8
    Giving him that contract was a very expensive mistake, unless it contained specific performance clauses.
  • Great race. Great to see multiple teams challenging for a win. I was surprised to see Mercedes go onto softs at the end, let alone Lando. McLaren shouldn’t have given him the option and just put him on the mediums. The undercut probably won it for Lewis, I think. By being that couple of seconds ahead after the last pit stops, he could manage his pace a bit more and nurse the tyres a bit. Lando had to push hard immediately and that is probably why his tyre deg was so much worse. Has they come out the other way around it might have been the opposite result.

It was all vintage Lewis though. 

Russel unlucky again. 
    Tbf he lucked into a win last week. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Couldn’t hear it properly but sounded like Lewis was asking Lando why he didn’t go on the mediums
    He was and Lando will be asking himself the same. I would blame the team. It sounded, at the time, like they gave him the choice of following Lewis on the softs or Max on the hards.
    I do question McLaren on strategy quite a lot. This isn't the first win they've thrown away on strategy calls. I think if they play it better they could have had a 1-2 with Oscars pace at the end. 
    I doubt it could have been a 1-2 based just on the final decision but it certainly could have been a win for Lando. Their decision not to double-stack definitely cost Oscar massively and took him out of the equation.

Yeah 2 botched calls ultimately cost them with both drivers. I think they need to take strategic calls out of the driver's hands and just trust the engineers a bit more. 

I have no doubt they'll win potentially multiple times this season but this feels like one that's got away. 
    As a big Lewis fan I'm really glad they did. McLaren have got a very positive future and a great driver pairing, although still relatively inexperienced.

I'm a McLaren fan but there's just something special about a Lewis Silverstone win , especially with it being his last race with Mercedes at Silverstone. 

The season is truly set up for a thriller. 
    It's so good after the last couple of borefest seasons.
    Still think Max did enough in the early races to win the drivers' championship but with the resurgence of Mercedes, the genuine pace of the McLaren and whatever the fuck Ferrari are doing we do at least have some actual races rather than Max riding off into the sunset and us watching the battle for second every race. 
  • For once a race worth watching. Lets see if it's just a one off.
  • It was the first race this season that I watched in full including the 2 hours prior to lights out. I have a bit of a cold so I had a legitimate excuse to remain on the sofa all day.
    To see 3 Brits on the front row with British made cars with British based teams was a great way to kick off the day. The race itself was one of the best I've seen for many years with a beginning, a middle and an end, action from start to finish. Throw in a bit of British summer weather it had the lot, (although I never had Brian May down as such a moody git). At one stage I thought the Dutchman would spoil things but its satisfying  to see him and his country come second. It so good to see and hear Hamilton back on the top place, at nearly 40 he really doesn't need to do F1 any more but he is exceptional to be able to motivate himself to keep plugging away.
    Its been a good few days for this country lets hope it remains that way for some time to come.
  • Perez must be close to losing his seat, why the resigned him I don't know. 

Red Bull are starting to fall back into the pack just as Newey stops developing the car. Maybe Max will jump ship if he sees Merc improving 
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw a poster in a bar in Paphos with a really strange fact, as follows: -

Schumacher won Button's first race, Button won Scumacher's last race.
    Jones won Prost's first race, Prost won Jones' last race.
    Prost won Senna's first race, Senna won Prost's last race.
  • Perez must be close to losing his seat, why the resigned him I don't know. 

Red Bull are starting to fall back into the pack just as Newey stops developing the car. Maybe Max will jump ship if he sees Merc improving 
    There are a few F1 sites reporting that there are certain conditions in Perez contract about points and his position in the standings in relation to Max and if he doesn't meet the conditions then his contract can be terminated.  Not sure how true this is but Iunless he improves drastically then I think his seat will become available.
  • The clause that has been doing the rounds as supposedly being true is Perez has to be within 100 points of Max by the summer break. Currently he's 130 back in P6 with the 2 Mercs within 5 points of him. 
  • If that's true he's as good as gone, he's not going to score 30 points in total in the next 2 races, let alone outscore Max by 30
  • BBC reporting that Ocon has signed for Haas, with an official announcement over the weekend
  • Unsurprisingly KMag has posted on Instagram saying that he's leaving Haas at the end of the season.

So adds fuel to the Ocon reports.
  • Ocon just feels like such a weird choice. If he gets convincingly beaten by Ollie he's basically out the sport. Doesn't bring loads of personal sponsorship either. Also all the reports about him being difficult to work with doesn't sound like the best environment for a rookie. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Ocon just feels like such a weird choice. If he gets convincingly beaten by Ollie he's basically out the sport. Doesn't bring loads of personal sponsorship either. Also all the reports about him being difficult to work with doesn't sound like the best environment for a rookie. 
    Can't see that happening at all. 
  • Ocon is a weird one, been around for what seems like ages so must have something about him but never looks convincing over a string of races
  • fenaddick said:
    Ocon is a weird one, been around for what seems like ages so must have something about him but never looks convincing over a string of races
    Has Toto as an agent though right? So I imagine he pulls a lot of strings to keep him on the grid
  • Sponsored links:

• Just as well Bearman already has the seat at Haas because his 2024 F2 performances have been terrible.
  • Antonelli hasn't been hugely better. Prema struggling this season
  • Speaking of Antonelli, Toto was interviewed after FP3 today and was speaking about next year and Simon Lazenby said something along the lines of "Sainz is the cork in the bottle, obviously with Kimi being in the car, but Prema not being amazing this year..." And Toto replied about it "being a data decision" when it comes to Kimi

Does that mean he's confirmed for the seat next season?
  • sam3110 said:
    Antonelli hasn't been hugely better. Prema struggling this season
    Shouldn't have been better at all.
  • Well that's the end of Perez at Red Bull 
  • Perez out of Qualifying early yet again after stuffing it into the wall
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Well that's the end of Perez at Red Bull 
    bloody should be!
  • Russell out of Q1, with the stricken Perez, Zhou and the 2 Alpines who for some reason couldn't be arsed coming back out of the garage when the track was clearly getting faster
  • Alpine are absolutely awful in every respect right now, I'll be amazed if they still exist in a couple of years time. Talk of Renault pulling the plug on the engines and them becoming a Mercedes customer team
  • sam3110 said:
    Alpine are absolutely awful in every respect right now, I'll be amazed if they still exist in a couple of years time. Talk of Renault pulling the plug on the engines and them becoming a Mercedes customer team

Apparently Alpine top brass want $1bn to even talk. But I can't see how Renault keep this going.