Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Hal1x said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The Verstappen and GP Lambasse radio today was absolutely embarrassing from Max and yet he doesn't seem to see anything wrong with how he behaved. 

I hope there's a proper debrief from the higher ups but I doubt it. 
    He hasn't before and he won't when it happens again in the future. Red Bull management have made a rod for their own backs by not doing something about it earlier.
    Clearly doesn't like not having a dominant car and is starting to throw his toys out of the pram.

I think the rest of the season is going to be absolutely fascinating to see how Red Bull handle things. Not the fastest car anymore , driver issues on both sides of the garage and the departure of Newey. I still think they'll get a couple of wins but the days of Max checking out by 15 secs and going for a Sunday afternoon drive with no one near him are absolutely gone and I think he's finding that hard to cope with.
    Let's hope that it continues to get worse for them and the team pulls itself apart.
    your hatred of Red Bull is just weird! they are based in the UK, employ British staff and help our economy, why would you want them to fail?
    that's easy, Horner and Verstappen
  • MarcusH26 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Only just watched the 8 min highlights, why did Norris have to let Piastri by? Seemed well ahead.

Did Max just hate everyone today? 
    Piastri was ahead until McLaren done him dirty by pitting Lando first and undercutting him. Lando was adamant that he was faster all race and would have passed him on track anyway but McLaren weren't having it and told him to swap. Lando then got a bit petulant and was showing how much pace he had by pulling away from Piastri, and eventually relented with 3 laps to go after repeatedly being told there's a bigger picture and he needs to think of the whole team

I was waiting for Andrea Stella to takeover the radio like Toto does sometimes if the Mercedes aren't doing what they are told to do. I know Lando has had Will as his race engineer for years but you could tell things were getting more and more terse the longer it went on. 
    Think it was sensible from Stella to stay quiet. Allows him to handle things how he wishes behind closed doors and not make it an even bigger story. 
  • Another sport where integrity has gone out the window.

Imagine having to race for 90 mins at speeds that could kill you only to be told that, when winning, you have to let your team mate pass you so he can win instead. If I was Lando I would have told the team that I will gladly let Piastri overtake me once he is within a DRS zone. Team rules are junk. 

At the same time the Open golf was on. Where competitors apply the rules themselves & call a referee to adjudicate if they think their ball might have moved a centimetre before they take a putt.  

Imagine having to race for 90 mins at speeds that could kill you only to be told that, when winning, you have to let your team mate pass you so he can win instead. If I was Lando I would have told the team that I will gladly let Piastri overtake me once he is within a DRS zone. Team rules are junk. 

At the same time the Open golf was on. Where competitors apply the rules themselves & call a referee to adjudicate if they think their ball might have moved a centimetre before they take a putt.  
    To be fair, Lando was only in that position because the team put him there by bringing him in before Oscar, who was leading for most of the race. The team handed the race to Lando but then, bizarrely, told him to hand it back. 
  • Rizzo said:
    Another sport where integrity has gone out the window.

To be fair, Lando was only in that position because the team put him there by bringing him in before Oscar, who was leading for most of the race. The team handed the race to Lando but then, bizarrely, told him to hand it back. 
    Imagine getting your first ever win in F1 by having the leader for half the race let you pass him. Tainted trophy. Couldn't do it myself. 

The sport where one fella gobbed out a large oyster in front of his partners ball.
    I doubt there is a professional sport where there is no mind games or sailing close to breaking rules. 
  • edited July 23
    Spa will be very interesting, the Red Bull still seems to have massive straight-line speed which will be useful at Spa but they can't have another weekend where Perez is out in Q1 and Max has a domestic with GP for the entire race. I fancy another Piastri win , now he's got his maiden Sunday win and as long as he can nail qualifying which he's getting stronger at then I think he'll take some stopping.

Then again it's Spa so it could rain halfway through on half the track and we get complete chaos. Would be nice if Ferrari can get back in the mix properly but I don't know if they'll hold back big upgrades for Monza.
  • SOTF said:
    Rizzo said:

I’m no F1 expert but I don’t think that’s quite what played out.

They brought Lando in to protect against an undercut from Hamilton to guarantee him second place and a McLaren 1-2.

They could have brought Piastri in first and guaranteed him the win, knowing Hamilton would finish 2nd. The team 1-2 was more important. By helping Lando and putting Piastri at a disadvantage the team expected Lando to give the place back.

The error as I saw it, and alluded to earlier in the thread, is that Lando decided to wait until the last possible moment to give the place back. Lando could have let him go 15 laps earlier and as the quicker driver overtaken Piastri. Lando kind of beat himself in the end.
    I'm also no expert, so I stand to be corrected, but from the point when they brought Lando in, they'd have had 20+ laps in a faster car on fresher medium tyres to overtake Hamilton on older hard tyres. That might have been a risk but so is asking your fastest driver to move over for his teammate. I do agree however that Lando could have moved over straight away and then gone racing with Oscar for the win.  
  • Sponsored links:

• SOTF said:
    Rizzo said:

I’m no F1 expert but I don’t think that’s quite what played out.

They brought Lando in to protect against an undercut from Hamilton to guarantee him second place and a McLaren 1-2.

They could have brought Piastri in first and guaranteed him the win, knowing Hamilton would finish 2nd. The team 1-2 was more important. By helping Lando and putting Piastri at a disadvantage the team expected Lando to give the place back.

The error as I saw it, and alluded to earlier in the thread, is that Lando decided to wait until the last possible moment to give the place back. Lando could have let him go 15 laps earlier and as the quicker driver overtaken Piastri. Lando kind of beat himself in the end.
    Agreed, except Norris was unlikely to be able to pass Piastri on track in equal machinery and similarly worn tyres because overtaking is so hard at that track, as we saw when Verstappen got stuck behind Hamilton despite being in a much faster car leading to his eventual lunge and crash. 
  • Wonder if thats what'll tip Sainz going back to Alpine / Renault
  • https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/binotto-to-head-audi-f1-project-as-part-of-major-management-shake-up/10637948/

Mattia Binotto signs for Audi as their Chief Operating Officer , Andreas Seidl to leave August 1st 
  • Wonder if thats what'll tip Sainz going back to Alpine / Renault

Yeah that should do it for Carlos. Sauber/Audi has just been completely spannered with the Binotto news , to the point that I could see them keeping Bottas.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Wonder if thats what'll tip Sainz going back to Alpine / Renault

Yeah that should do it for Carlos. Sauber/Audi has just been completely spannered with the Binotto news , to the point that I could see them keeping Bottas.
    Yeah and combine it with the fact that Seidl is now leaving Audi, you'd expect that to be the nail in the coffin for Sainz going there, because he did have the Mclaren link with Andreas - In reality cant see Schumacher or Doohan taking the second Alpine seat either.
  • Sainz is probably still hoping for that red bull seat
  • Or the Mercedes seat if they place Kimi at Williams
  • Sainz is probably still hoping for that red bull seat

I think if it was down to Horner , Sainz would be already signed but it's known Verstappen doesn't get on with Sainz so it will never happen 
  • Possibly we could we see:

Alpine: Gasly/Sainz
    Haas: Ocon/Bearman
    Williams: Albon/Bottas
    S-Audi: Hulkenburg/Zhou
    Mercedes: Russell/Antonelli

When it all shakes out.

All boils down to what project Sainz wants to get behind, or if one of the other top teams want him as a stop gap
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Possibly we could we see:

Alpine: Gasly/Sainz
    Haas: Ocon/Bearman
    Williams: Albon/Bottas
    S-Audi: Hulkenburg/Zhou
    Mercedes: Russell/Antonelli

When it all shakes out.

All boils down to what project Sainz wants to get behind, or if one of the other top teams want him as a stop gap

I'd expect this to be exactly how it shakes out , I find that S/Audi lineup a bit underwhelming but I don't know if there's better options? Pourchaire seems dead set on staying in Indycar , Maloney started well in F2 but has dropped off , despite the Binotto hiring I can't see Mick Schumacher being in contention. That just really leaves you with Zhou or Bottas and I'm with you that I like the Bottas back to Williams move. 
  • That's one of those announcements that means nothing as everyone knew it was happening about 4 weeks ago

The second seat at Alpine is interesting though, they're trying to push through the Mercedes deal for next season and they have a lot of money behind them, but I don't see what Alpine/Renault get out of it, no-one buys an Alpine because of the F1 team and if they aren't using their own engines I don't really see the point in them continuing on long term
  • edited July 25
    sam3110 said:
    That's one of those announcements that means nothing as everyone knew it was happening about 4 weeks ago

The second seat at Alpine is interesting though, they're trying to push through the Mercedes deal for next season and they have a lot of money behind them, but I don't see what Alpine/Renault get out of it, no-one buys an Alpine because of the F1 team and if they aren't using their own engines I don't really see the point in them continuing on long term

Yeah Ocon has been the worst kept secret bit like Bearman who seemed to be signed from about March.

I see no point in Renault continuing as another Mercedes customer team and wouldn't be surprised if they are informally up for sale and that's actually why Flavio is back as an advisor. Think the Mercedes technical package could be enough to get them Sainz instead of promoting Jack Doohan though. 
  • So the word on the street is Schumi Jr might get a seat at Alpine Io facilitate the move to Mercedes engines next year, if Sainz turns them down
  • edited July 27
    Kimi Antonelli pulling moves up the inside at Eau Rouge in the wet 😳😳😳
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Kimi Antonelli pulling moves up the inside at Eau Rogue in the wet 😳😳😳
    With Bearman right up their arse too... That was one of the best passes you'll ever see

Surprised he's got any speed with the weight of those balls on him!!
  • Does anyone actually understand what Bernie Collins says?, because I cant.
  • This race has been brilliant so far!!
  • Got a feeling that Russell may have snuck his way on to the Podium with this strategy call