Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Million Mask March

These brave warriors are sticking it right to the man! Going out there and doing the anti-establishment cause proud, and in such fetching masks too! Godspeed them! I hope the government yields to all of their demands! Hoorah!

(seriously though, what is to be done with these fuckers? protest in this country, once a fierce and proud tradition of direct action, has been co-opted by faddism and empty marketing tropes. am i getting old or is this all just achieving nothing except the entrenchment of distrust between generations, which is the last thing we all need?)

Comments

• Options
    Bit hopeful that we can get a million people in the West Stand car park.
  • Options
    As long as we're not all in sodding V masks
  • Options
    Doubt if many of them will be at work tomorrow.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Bit hopeful that we can get a million people in the West Stand car park.

In these?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Morons, the lot of them. Privileged and unaware of it, yet unable to see the irony of what they're doing.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    just them v the police by the looks of it.

its like a kid pointing out what is wrong with the world but no one listens and they have a tantrum.

the whole thing has become trivialised. these masks (though a symbol) reflect that.

all i can imagine happening tomorrow is thousands of youngsters who went tonight going back to their homes and twetting about the police, the atmosphere, the buzz, being apart of something without one thought of what you were actually trying to achieve but perhaps they never gave it a thought in the first place. football hooligans have probably more idea. then again i doubt the "1%" will stand toe to toe with any of these lot, not when they have an army of officers who can do that.

when we talk about organisation this lot can get the numbers but have no idea what to do with them. that cereal shop that got attacked a few weeks ago is a prime example, who are you actually trying to fight against? same thing here, you just end up fighting the police.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Bunch of twats in a mask they can't grasp the concept of complaining about a system they can't grasp the concept of.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

just them v the police by the looks of it.

its like a kid pointing out what is wrong with the world but no one listens and they have a tantrum.

the whole thing has become trivialised. these masks (though a symbol) reflect that.

all i can imagine happening tomorrow is thousands of youngsters who went tonight going back to their homes and twetting about the police, the atmosphere, the buzz, being apart of something without one thought of what you were actually trying to achieve but perhaps they never gave it a thought in the first place. football hooligans have probably more idea. then again i doubt the "1%" will stand toe to toe with any of these lot, not when they have an army of officers who can do that.

when we talk about organisation this lot can get the numbers but have no idea what to do with them. that cereal shop that got attacked a few weeks ago is a prime example, who are you actually trying to fight against? same thing here, you just end up fighting the police.

Against a police force who are already fighting their own battles against the powers that be in regards to brutal cuts.

That police car that was set on fire wont be cheap to replace. The other vehicles that were vandalised will also be out of action for a bit. Where do they think that money comes from, or do they not disagree with wasting money? (To quote a mate "Oh, you saw me in a car 3 up the other day? That must've been when we ran out of vehicles for response.")

But that's all right, because these brave young warriors who are apparently societies only hope, will go back home and sleep safely tonight. Then they will go about their daily lives, maybe even exercise those rights to protest again, all safe in the knowledge that their protected by the Government and System that they apparently hate.

All whilst seemingly oblivious to just how lucky they are, as they exercise their numerous rights to protest about being oppressed and living in a state corrupted by business interests. Sadly, thousands of these assholes are oblivious to the irony of this.

The Cereal cafe is another good example; a little shop that was set up by two working class lads from Belfast? Funny how a quick stroll down Brick Lane would actually take you to The City, to all manor of interesting money making buildings belonging to the 1%. It's also funny how a number of those who were 'outed' from that little escapade were precisely the first ones who would be lined up against the wall in a real "Class War"; naturally the irony escaped that bunch too.

I'm not saying the Government is perfect, far from it, but I'm saying these people are deluded. The teenagers I can kinda understand, but if you're over the age of 18 and there then you need to have a good look at yourself and think about where your life went wrong. I know someone in their 30s who will be there at the moment.

I actually read the Occupy Manifesto last year and was shocked when I found I agreed with a great deal of it. I too get equally pissed off by the likes of Amazon and Starbucks, but I also know that the way to achieve a means is doing it in a very particular way, and not throwing a tantrum that will be forgotten about within a couple of days.
  • Options
    IMO the most effective protest is to exercise consumer power and not buy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (Well, that and a properly massive march, Jarrow style)

(more violent methods of yesteryear are easier to control nowadays *sniff*)
  • Options
    The Guy Fawkes mask is generally associated with protesting against a government that has too much power and not enough accountability, as per V for Vendetta. These protesters seem to want a government that had more power, more money and less accountability. They should be wearing Lenin or Mao masks.
  • Options
    Anyone who honestly believes that any more than 5% of those "protesters " are out there in the name of a cause, needs their head examined!! Just juvenile delinquents using it as an excuse to reap havoc as their idea of fun. Pathetic!
  • Options
    Yes there is a lot of irony in tonights events, the amount of smart phones, nike clothes etc but what there fighting for is important and neccessary in my opinion. Does this really offend you as much as the current goverment we are under?
  • Options

Generation of infants without an opinion that has not been fed them by the World Wide Web and blind and oblivious to the privilage that they were weened on.

There are two perfectly good water cannon sitting gathering dust because society is too soft in dealing with this ill informed trash.

Pretty much like the animals smashing up cereal cafes or spitting/egging people in Manchester. Infants unable to argue their point so resort to infantile vandalism.
  • Options
    Kick the shit out of the lot of the scum bags and give the old bill a night off, police our own streets on nights like this they won't want to do it again with a busted skull
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Yes there is a lot of irony in tonights events, the amount of smart phones, nike clothes etc but what there fighting for is important and neccessary in my opinion. Does this really offend you as much as the current goverment we are under?

Yes, in fact it offends me more to be honest.

Simply put, any illusion of them "fighting" for absolutely anything is ruined by the sheer hypocrisy of funding those very organisations that they're bitching about, quite bluntly - they are a large component of the problem.

They are the core Apple demographic, the core Twitter demographic too. They've made Amazon a shed load of money tonight too.

Remind me, what are they fighting for again? All I can see is a bunch of shortsighted (and incredibly naive) idiots who can't see how privileged they are, exercising their freedoms and right to protest, whilst uploading videos from their iPhones on to Twitter wearing the masks they bought from Amazon whilst crying foul of those big businesses, and the government which is facilitating their current actions. They are muppets.

They ruin the cause because they don't actually care, if they did they wouldn't act in the manner they do. They ruin it for those who seriously want to force reform by coming out with nonsense that no one in their right mind can take seriously.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Yes, in fact it offends me more to be honest.

Simply put, any illusion of them "fighting" for absolutely anything is ruined by the sheer hypocrisy of funding those very organisations that they're bitching about, quite bluntly - they are a large component of the problem.

They are the core Apple demographic, the core Twitter demographic too. They've made Amazon a shed load of money tonight too.

Remind me, what are they fighting for again? All I can see is a bunch of shortsighted (and incredibly naive) idiots who can't see how privileged they are, exercising their freedoms and right to protest, whilst uploading videos from their iPhones on to Twitter wearing the masks they bought from Amazon whilst crying foul of those big businesses, and the government which is facilitating their current actions. They are muppets.

They ruin the cause because they don't actually care, if they did they wouldn't act in the manner they do. They ruin it for those who seriously want to force reform by coming out with nonsense that no one in their right mind can take seriously.
    Generally speaking the fight for anti capatalism is incredibly tough in a system like the U.K where there is always going to be hyprocrisy in looking for events in order to reform. Tonight attracted a lot of people who just wanted to vandalise and cause trouble etc, but yesterdays march on Free Education was a better example of how to highlight the goverments incompetance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not sure I want to live in a world where "cereal cafes" exist.

I don't know anything about, nor do I have opinions on, the mask-based protest tonight.
  • Options
    Do these people understand that in non-capitalist countries, every man and his dog does not own an iPhone?
  • Options
    What's wrong with studying Dance and Drama?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    seth plum said:

What's wrong with studying Dance and Drama?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with them! I merely questioned why someone who didn't go to University should be funding someone to study either of those two things, as an example. Is it right to expect them to do so?

I will qualify it by adding that other subjects could become more questionable as to whether they should be state funded, or state supported.
  • Options
    Bravo Luckyreds, great post.

I do sympathise with the point of view that only important/subjects in demand should be heavily subsidised.

When university tution fees were heavily subsidised for everyone, we ended up with everyone going to university and studying all kinds of pointless shit and generally devaluing the degree.

• Options
    The majority of the people in attendance are either rich kids who are trying to find "a calling in life" or people who have moved to the UK from Europe.