Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

South Africa v England Series 2015/2016

Comments

• Stiaan van Zyl run out for 4. Crazy run to try and take and Elgar sends him back to be stumped.
  • edited January 2016

This also potentially pushes Bairstow up the pecking order in ODIs making it "interesting" in the next couple of years for the likes of Buttler and Billings. We will always have room for two of them but you could have the situation where all three are in superb form and one has to miss out.

Not a bad position to be in.

From a Kent point of view, having more of Billings playing for Kent next season wouldn't be a bad thing...
    From what I hear on the grapevine this season might sadly be Sam's last one at Kent.
    this .. cricket, like football, rugby, probably all professional sports, the best players go to the league 1 clubs and the lower division outfits get weaker and weaker and poorer and poorer .. can't blame the players, a sportsman's time to make a success, make a name for himself and to make some cash is limited .. get it where and when you can ...

On SA ? .. weakest team since the 1950s
  • Why don't we have four slips and two gulleys?
  • ODI team could be...

Hales,Roy,Root,Morgan,Stokes,Buttler,Bairstow,Ali,Woakes,Broad,Finn

with Billings as 1st batting replacement
  • This also potentially pushes Bairstow up the pecking order in ODIs making it "interesting" in the next couple of years for the likes of Buttler and Billings. We will always have room for two of them but you could have the situation where all three are in superb form and one has to miss out.

From a Kent point of view, having more of Billings playing for Kent next season wouldn't be a bad thing...
    From what I hear on the grapevine this season might sadly be Sam's last one at Kent.
    Does this mean he's got another county on the horizon - presumably Surrey?
  • This also potentially pushes Bairstow up the pecking order in ODIs making it "interesting" in the next couple of years for the likes of Buttler and Billings. We will always have room for two of them but you could have the situation where all three are in superb form and one has to miss out.

Does this mean he's got another county on the horizon - presumably Surrey?
    No it isn't Surrey. And this is only a rumour. But, if true, it will be to replace a former England keeper who I believe will be retiring in the near future.
  • It won't be the same without Ready ;_;
  • It being county cricket and also the England wicketkeeper debate haha

Oh, or do you mean Essex...
  • Leuth said:

It won't be the same without Ready ;_;

Correct
  • Leuth said:

It being county cricket and also the England wicketkeeper debate haha

Oh, or do you mean Essex...

Incorrect
  • Sponsored links:

• Nottingham's a s**hole - a bit much like East Kent.!

this .. cricket, like football, rugby, probably all professional sports, the best players go to the league 1 clubs and the lower division outfits get weaker and weaker and poorer and poorer .. can't blame the players, a sportsman's time to make a success, make a name for himself and to make some cash is limited .. get it where and when you can ...

But then in T20/ODI cricket Kent are reasonably competitive. We may be a Div 2 team in the CC, but do players care that much about it these days?

But then in T20/ODI cricket Kent are reasonably competitive. We may be a Div 2 team in the CC, but do players care that much about it these days?
    Not really - but the Test venue counties have all the power (and the money)
  • But, the rumour, could be a lot of old b-------s in which case I never suggested for one minute that it came from anybody who might know anything about anything.

Not really - but the Test venue counties have all the power (and the money)
    We are indeed paupers compared to those Counties. And it doesn't do any harm to be playing week in, week out against the top players and scoring big runs in the top division counts for a lot more. Especially if you have aspirations to make the Test side.

a very good point .. and my pessimistic view is that 3/4 even 5 day county/test cricket is doomed over the next (very) few years .. it's more a question of ability to pay players big salaries ..
    the test ground counties with the big population centres and the potential to attract big crowds as well as big money sponsorship, can afford to pay their players lots more than can Kent
  • England will wear black armbands today in memory of Sussex fast bowler Mathew Hobden who, the County announced last night, has died at the age of 22.

RIP Young Man

Had been training in Loughborough last five six weeks with our nephew as part of the future England plan.

RIP, no age to pass.
  • If only Rooty hadnt dropped ABDV !!!! Might be a big drop.
  • Very quite today on this thread.
    England have dropped 2 more catches today - however, eventually Jimmy held on to one on 2nd attempt to remove ABDV.

SA 290-3 at tea still circa 340 runs behind.

That's OK 'Roland' Johnson has told me Seb will be ready by then.

:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• After an interminable period a flurry of wickets, Amla 201, Du Plessis 86, de Kock 5!
  • could swear I could hear people chanting "stand up if you want them out" just then!
  • Investigation into the pitch due? 12 wickets in four days.
  • Well done Bavuma, the first century by a black South African
  • Well done Bavuma, the first century by a black South African

very well deserved & his dad enjoyed it too!
  • Speaking on The Verdict, Bob Willis said AB de Villiers is the best ever player across all formats. I'm not disagreeing but that's quite a big statement

Simon "The Analyst" Hughes has come up with a list of the Top 10 batsmen over all forms of international cricket since the first WC in '75. Qualification >15,000 runs.
    I cannot remember the full order but top 3 were 1) Kallis, 2) Viv Richards, 3) De Villiers. Also in there were Tendaulkar, Dravid, Lara, Sangakarra, Miandad, Ponting and Hayden.
    Not massively scientific, just their average of their combined aggregates of Test, ODI and T20I.
  • Boycott called AB the best player in the world earlier. Clearly hes up there
  • Riviera said:

Speaking on The Verdict, Bob Willis said AB de Villiers is the best ever player across all formats. I'm not disagreeing but that's quite a big statement

Simon "The Analyst" Hughes has come up with a list of the Top 10 batsmen over all forms of international cricket since the first WC in '75. Qualification >15,000 runs.
    I cannot remember the full order but top 3 were 1) Kallis, 2) Viv Richards, 3) De Villiers. Also in there were Tendaulkar, Dravid, Lara, Sangakarra, Miandad, Ponting and Hayden.
    Not massively scientific, just their average of their combined aggregates of Test, ODI and T20I.
    England players seem to suffer due to the relatively poor performance of the ODI team in recent years, and having batsmen like Cook who are clearly only suited for Test cricket. Hopefully Root can continue his good form in a 3 forms of cricket
  • Loved TMS on the way to work this morning, but not for the reasons expected - the cricket was so lifeless that Agger's, Boycott and Vaughan turned to chatting all about Cape Town, it was like a travel show and very interesting and funny.

With the Rand being so high against the pound it made me wish I could afford the flights out there at the moment!!
  • Oakster said:

Well done Bavuma, the first century by a black South African

very well deserved & his dad enjoyed it too!
    Cricket on in Canada ?