Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

South Africa v England Series 2015/2016

Comments

• Options

Loved TMS on the way to work this morning, but not for the reasons expected - the cricket was so lifeless that Agger's, Boycott and Vaughan turned to chatting all about Cape Town, it was like a travel show and very interesting and funny.

With the Rand being so high against the pound it made me wish I could afford the flights out there at the moment!!

Thomas Cook Airlines have started flying direct to CT from Gatwick - prices very competitive/good !
  • Options

Loved TMS on the way to work this morning, but not for the reasons expected - the cricket was so lifeless that Agger's, Boycott and Vaughan turned to chatting all about Cape Town, it was like a travel show and very interesting and funny.

With the Rand being so high against the pound it made me wish I could afford the flights out there at the moment!!

Thomas Cook Airlines have started flying direct to CT from Gatwick - prices very competitive/good !
    Sadly out of the question with my wife still on maternity!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Speaking on The Verdict, Bob Willis said AB de Villiers is the best ever player across all formats. I'm not disagreeing but that's quite a big statement

Simon "The Analyst" Hughes has come up with a list of the Top 10 batsmen over all forms of international cricket since the first WC in '75. Qualification >15,000 runs.
    I cannot remember the full order but top 3 were 1) Kallis, 2) Viv Richards, 3) De Villiers. Also in there were Tendaulkar, Dravid, Lara, Sangakarra, Miandad, Ponting and Hayden.
    Not massively scientific, just their average of their combined aggregates of Test, ODI and T20I.
    England players seem to suffer due to the relatively poor performance of the ODI team in recent years, and having batsmen like Cook who are clearly only suited for Test cricket. Hopefully Root can continue his good form in a 3 forms of cricket
    To be fair to English players the main reason we do not appear in the list is that we have never played the number of ODI's that other countries have. We have no one who has even played 200 (Collingwood on 197 top) and there are over 50 players who have, even Zimbabweans. That coupled with the fact that is has taken us 20 years to work out how to play ODI's when Sri Lanka rewrote the manual in '96 leaves our batsmen way behind.
    Personally glad to see the greatest batsman I ever saw in at No.2. He only played 187 ODI's.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Speaking on The Verdict, Bob Willis said AB de Villiers is the best ever player across all formats. I'm not disagreeing but that's quite a big statement

Simon "The Analyst" Hughes has come up with a list of the Top 10 batsmen over all forms of international cricket since the first WC in '75. Qualification >15,000 runs.
    I cannot remember the full order but top 3 were 1) Kallis, 2) Viv Richards, 3) De Villiers. Also in there were Tendaulkar, Dravid, Lara, Sangakarra, Miandad, Ponting and Hayden.
    Not massively scientific, just their average of their combined aggregates of Test, ODI and T20I.
    England players seem to suffer due to the relatively poor performance of the ODI team in recent years, and having batsmen like Cook who are clearly only suited for Test cricket. Hopefully Root can continue his good form in a 3 forms of cricket
    To be fair to English players the main reason we do not appear in the list is that we have never played the number of ODI's that other countries have. We have no one who has even played 200 (Collingwood on 197 top) and there are over 50 players who have, even Zimbabweans. That coupled with the fact that is has taken us 20 years to work out how to play ODI's when Sri Lanka rewrote the manual in '96 leaves our batsmen way behind.
    Personally glad to see the greatest batsman I ever saw in at No.2. He only played 187 ODI's.
    I thought you only liked Test match cricket?!
  • Options
    One observation from today....

If Finn batted left-handed, then England would have had 5 bowlers who bowled right handed, but batted left handed.
    Tredders for Finn ??!!

I'll get me coat.
  • Options
    The most interesting part of today's play was seeing the bowling figures for that U16's match in India. In case anyone missed it a batsmen scored 1009 not out and his team won by an innings and 1300 runs. The pick of the bowlers had 23 overs for 352 runs and 20 overs for 284.
  • Options
    andyg90 said:

The most interesting part of today's play was seeing the bowling figures for that U16's match in India. In case anyone missed it a batsmen scored 1009 not out and his team won by an innings and 1300 runs. The pick of the bowlers had 23 overs for 352 runs and 20 overs for 284.

The other team were then bowled out for 31.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    andyg90 said:

The scores for the game were:

Arya Gurukul 31 all out & 52 all out
    KC Gandhi 1,465-3 declared

I was going to say "only in India" but we might well have witnessed similar scores - had the Lewisham District U12 matches last season been played over a couple of days instead of just 30 overs a side.

For the record the results were:

Bromley 342-0
    Lewisham 47 all out

Greenwich 322-4
    Lewisham 25 all out

It is for this reason that we now have eight Areas in Kent instead of 16 Districts - and that the separate Districts of Greenwich and Lewisham have become one Area.

And for the record, County players are prevented from playing in District/Area matches. But this isn't the case for school games so you could well have the same sort of scores here although, as I say, you don't have too many games played over a couple of days here - and it's unlikely that the schools would "allow" such domination in the circumstances of such a mismatch.
  • Options
    Squeaky bum time! Both Hales and Cook gone.

23-2

• Options
    Root caught off Morkel but recalled for a no ball ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here we go!!
  • Options
    Root bowled.

55-3
  • Options
    We have to bat until tea (lead will be c200 by then) at least; anything less, and SA will be keen to chase that score in 40-odd overs!
  • Options
    Amazing.....score 629 1st innings and still could end up losing unless they dig in a bit.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Relax we've got a lower middle order that are all natural blockers. Oh wait.....
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    How many of us would have predicted that all of our top seven bar one would have managed at least one 50 in the first two Tests - and that Cook would be the only one not to do so (42 in total in four innings).

That is a sign of progress and a non reliance on Cook and Root to dig us out of trouble the whole time.
  • Options
    Compton out caught with a nothing shot - seven minutes before lunch. Stick to what you're good at son!

85-4
  • Options
    Aaarrrgghhhh - shades of Adelaide in 2006/07 ... and they haven't even got Shane Warne playing for them
  • Options
    87-4 at lunch and a lead of 89

We need to bat 'til tea.
  • Options
    Meanwhile in the Big Bash KP strides to the wicket all "miked up". Asked about the game's situation, a somewhat nervous KP asks the commentators if they could give him a few minutes to assess the situation as, in his words, "I don't feel sharp". Having faced one ball he is then run out by the length of the track in a misunderstanding with Luke Wright.

Still the good news is that there is now plenty of time now for KP to give his opinion on the state of the game. I, for one, can't wait.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stokes plays as Stokes plays and is caught on the midwicket boundary.

115-5

Tea still the target
  • Options
    And now Taylor has gone caught off his glove at short leg off the spinner

116-6
  • Options
    116-6, Taylor out, gulp
  • Options
    It does potentially bring all three results back into the equation though - a target of 150 might make it interesting.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Test cricket is absolutely mental/quality.

It never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    About 50 overs of the day to go and we are 124 ahead with 4 wickets remaining.
  • Options
    Behind the sofa time ... surely this can't be happening (again).
  • Options
    Bairstow as close as he could have been to being stumped of all things off the part time Elgar! Took the 3rd umpire five minutes to decide.

149 ahead with 4 wickets in hand
  • Options
    Oh no it's starting to rain ;-)
  • Options
    How many overs left in the day?