Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

South Africa v England Series 2015/2016

Comments

• Options

And now the debutante Vilas is out caught at deep fine leg pulling off Broad.

Dirty bugger!
  • Options
    'caught out' would have made that work
  • Options
    An unusual day in that Anderson and Broad (for fitness, illness issues) have been England's worst bowlers
  • Options
    Just listening to Talksport. Apparently there is 15yr old that is 6ft 9 already bowling at 90mph! Playing in the juniors.

If his body keeps getting stronger we could have a truly lightning fast player coming through.
  • Options

Just listening to Talksport. Apparently there is 15yr old that is 6ft 9 already bowling at 90mph! Playing in the juniors.

If his body keeps getting stronger we could have a truly lightning fast player coming through.

Wait til he grows up!
  • Options
    267-7 at stumps
  • Options

Thought i'd spice up the forum as things are quiet at the moment !

3rd Test starts tomorrow at Joburg.
    England could be without Hales as he has a bug. Steyn is not fit for SA - and they have released Dane Piedt - and likely to go with 4 quicks, with Viljoen (who is almost as big as Morne Morkel) in for his debut.

AS an aside, was watching a bit of Big Bash this morning and the commentators were saying that the player of the tournament so far is Adil Rashid ! - i had to rewind it to make sure i didnt mis-hear.

He has been bowling exceptionally well. Top wicket taker with 14 and his economy rate is only just above six an over.

The biggest aspect of his bowling is that batsmen can't read his googly so either end up defending or getting bowled.

Will definitely be an asset to us in the World Cup in this form.
    i bet he gets taken apart in the World Cup and goes for over 8. World class (and sub continent) players can all spot him - ordinary Ozzies cant.

England could be without Hales as he has a bug. Steyn is not fit for SA - and they have released Dane Piedt - and likely to go with 4 quicks, with Viljoen (who is almost as big as Morne Morkel) in for his debut.

AS an aside, was watching a bit of Big Bash this morning and the commentators were saying that the player of the tournament so far is Adil Rashid ! - i had to rewind it to make sure i didnt mis-hear.

He has been bowling exceptionally well. Top wicket taker with 14 and his economy rate is only just above six an over.

The biggest aspect of his bowling is that batsmen can't read his googly so either end up defending or getting bowled.

i bet he gets taken apart in the World Cup and goes for over 8. World class (and sub continent) players can all spot him - ordinary Ozzies cant.
    Yes, I'd never thought of the Rashid googly terrorising batsmen...
    Then you have to take my word for it because I've watched virtually every ball of this year's BB.

For the record, though, his victims this year are Christian, Wells, Lynn, Cutting, Willey, Tye, Agar, Maddison, Silk, Carters, Carberry, Marsh (M), Wright and Maxwell.

Eleven Internationals in that 14 including one of the world's best one day player in the shape of Maxwell plus Lynn, the top scorer in this year's BB and also tipped to be in Australia's WC squad.

In addition to the googly, he also bowled a "faster" leg break at 65 mph so he does have more than the one variation.

So I think the BB has done him the world of good. And anything less than 8 an over will be totally acceptable in the WC.
    Lynn has just hit Hilfenhaus for five consecutive 6's!
    And...... ??!!!!!!
    It just so happened to be fairly entertaining. Don't often see 30 scored in five balls. Don't see 30 in 5 overs in Test cricket but that's not what the longer form of the game is about.

Great to be able to watch both matches simultaneously though ;-)
    Didnt mean that ! - i meant what happened on the 6th ball ??!!
    I saw Willey tonk 34 off a six ball over from Yardy last season.( and the four was only a yard short of being a six)
  • Options
    AA and Canters - have invited you onto separate discussions - please check your inbox.
  • Options

Yes, I'd never thought of the Rashid googly terrorising batsmen...
    Then you have to take my word for it because I've watched virtually every ball of this year's BB.

For the record, though, his victims this year are Christian, Wells, Lynn, Cutting, Willey, Tye, Agar, Maddison, Silk, Carters, Carberry, Marsh (M), Wright and Maxwell.

Eleven Internationals in that 14 including one of the world's best one day player in the shape of Maxwell plus Lynn, the top scorer in this year's BB and also tipped to be in Australia's WC squad.

In addition to the googly, he also bowled a "faster" leg break at 65 mph so he does have more than the one variation.

So I think the BB has done him the world of good. And anything less than 8 an over will be totally acceptable in the WC.
    Lynn has just hit Hilfenhaus for five consecutive 6's!
    And...... ??!!!!!!
    It just so happened to be fairly entertaining. Don't often see 30 scored in five balls. Don't see 30 in 5 overs in Test cricket but that's not what the longer form of the game is about.

Great to be able to watch both matches simultaneously though ;-)
    Didnt mean that ! - i meant what happened on the 6th ball ??!!
    I saw Willey tonk 34 off a six ball over from Yardy last season.( and the four was only a yard short of being a six)
    lol - the first ball was a dot!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

AA and Canters - have invited you onto separate discussions - please check your inbox.

• Options
    Callum - and you too !!
  • Options
    Well now I look like a wally! Should check my inbox more often.
  • Options

Well now I look like a wally! Should check my inbox more often.

lol - i often forget too !

Let us know what you think (via that discussion)
  • Options
    What's this, now? A cricket clique?
  • Options
    313 looking a good score at the moment. Hales failed again. Isn't a test player. I know he's not popular but I would be thinking of bringing Balance back.
  • Options
    Balance no, with him and Compton they would just be occupieng the crease.
  • Options
    Cook gone too. Hales isn't a Test opener but he probably takes a bit of comfort when he looks at Cook with his 60 runs in five series innings.

Opening partnerships have been 3, 13, 55 (in the 629-6 declared), 17 & 10.
  • Options
    I love Compton
  • Options
    Joking aside, we could not have Cook, Compton and Ballance in our front three. The intent that we have demonstrated in the last few series would walk straight out of the door. And the pressure would then fall even more so upon Root to do all the scoring.

Compton had 42 dot balls out of his first 46 deliveries and was then dropped by ABV. As that is some sort of wake up call he hits two boundaries off the next three balls but, the truth is, he should have already been back in the hutch before doing so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big_Bob said:

I love Compton

We really don't mind what your persuasion is Bob so all I can say is "good for you Bob".
  • Options
    Compton gone for 26 (68) - held this time in the slips.

Root 18* (47)

74-3

• Options
    Great catch by Bavuma at short leg to dismiss Taylor for 7

91-4

Root 28* (64)

Will be interesting to see how Stokes plays. It's not the same sort of track where you can confidently hit through the one of the ball but, by the same token, if you just hang around, you will eventually get out - which is why we haven't had a 50 yet in the match.
  • Options
    Absolutely peppered by Morkel first two balls!
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Prob agree you cant have both Compton and Ballance in team - however, IMO , Ballance is a far better player than Compton.
    Ballance to come back in at 3 and *another* opener to get a go - my choice would be Vince - I think he will be a good player and a good foil to Cook
  • Options
    Another 50 for Root. Also a rapid partnership of 54 with Stokes (30) off half a dozen overs.

145-4

• Options
    162-4 at tea

Great cricket and counter attacking from Root & Stokes

Root 60* (86)
    Stokes 38* (31)

Partnership of 71 off less than 9 overs
  • Options
    edited January 2016

dickplumb said:

Prob agree you cant have both Compton and Ballance in team - however, IMO , Ballance is a far better player than Compton.
    Ballance to come back in at 3 and *another* opener to get a go - my choice would be Vince - I think he will be a good player and a good foil to Cook
    Don't disagree that Compton and Ballance should not be playing together. Nor do I disagree that Ballance is a better player than Compton. However, I believe Compton should have opened with Cook with Ballance in 3 in this test.

The opener spot is obviously of massive concern, and I doubt Vince is the answer as an opener. Him at 3 or 5 with Taylor moving to 3 could be though.
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of Compton and Ballance in the same team on this wicket. Both them play naturally in survival mode and this wicket is one where that type of player won't reach past 30-40.

Having said that, it seems Hales isn't the answer. So who or what is?
  • Options
    Great stuff from Stokes once again