Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

South Africa v England Series 2015/2016

Comments

• Options
    It is interesting that we are all scratching our heads trying to find Test openers and let's face the obvious options are virtually non existent.

In my experience there are several reasons for this. The first one is clear - the game has changed to the extent that the money is in the shorter form of the game. As a result all young cricketers are encouraged to hit the ball first. That's not to say that they aren't coached on technique but it really isn't the first port of call.

What also happens is that kids in age group cricket are sometimes "protected" by their counties. By that I mean that the best couple of batsmen in the team might not get to open that often - you will usually find them coming in at four or five so they don't have to face the opening bowlers when conditions suit bowling best.

So we end up producing a lot of middle order aggressive players who haven't learned their craft so far as what it takes to be an opener in the longer form of the game. You only have to look at those who have opened in ODIs in the last five or six years to see that they are far better suited to going at the ball - Roy, Hales, Lumb, Ali, Carberry, Kieswetter, Buttler etc etc - so to ask them to face the best fast bowlers in the world against a moving ball is a step too far.

Finally, those that do open in county cricket don't actually face attacks that are that good. The old days when the likes of Garner, Holding, Roberts, Hadlee, Wasim Akram etc etc used to turn out for counties season in season out are sadly long gone and the reality is that it doesn't matter how far you turn the bowling machine up to it simply isn't the same because you cannot replicate match conditions.

• Options
    Stokes goes down fighting for 58 off 78 balls.

202-5

Root 79* (106)
  • Options

Well now I look like a wally! Should check my inbox more often.

Feeling left out.....

First been told (unofficially) that I'll never be in the CL Clique, now this....
  • Options

Feeling left out.....

First been told (unofficially) that I'll never be in the CL Clique, now this....
    And you're not even in the Valley Gold clique, either...

(Sorry, MOG - couldn't resist...)
  • Options
    Root reaches yet another hundred (126 balls) - one of his best in conditions that favour the bowler.

227-5
  • Options
    Roooooooooooooooooooooootttttttttt!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Feeling left out.....

And you're not even in the Valley Gold clique, either...

(Sorry, MOG - couldn't resist...)
    ........Git !

(Edit)
    *Thought so.......The truth will out........

• Options
    Bad light stopped play 238-5. 75 behind and 27 overs before the new ball is due so hopefully we will have a lead by then.

Root 106* (131)
    Bairstow 4* (15)
  • Options
    MOG, Weegie - i'll explain later and PM you later today too !
  • Options
    Great innings by Rooty (and Stokes too) - our middle order is certainly clicking with Root,Taylor,STokes and Bairstow - great for the future coz they could be the same 4,5,6,7 for best part of a decade.
    All we need now is to find an opener for Cook. (Ballance will fit into the no 3 once they've eventually dispensed with Compton),
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant knock from Root. Superb.

The Stokes/Root partnership was brilliant counter-attacking and steered us from trouble.

The intent that they showed really messed with the bowlers and destroyed their rhythm.

Oh, and gutted to not be in the cricket clique :-(
  • Options
    Just watched Roots innings again - he is one superstar - we seem to have a couple in Stokes and Root right now - i wonder if any others will step up to that level in next couple of years.?
  • Options
    I have been impressed with Bairstow in this series so far, he kept well in the first innings as well, bar the drop catch towards the end of the SA innings
  • Options
    Root goes early, huge blow.
  • Options
    CHG said:

I have been impressed with Bairstow in this series so far, he kept well in the first innings as well, bar the drop catch towards the end of the SA innings

Yes, he has improved no end. Looks to have made the no. 7 spot all his own now. Then again, i suppose Buttler sorta made it easy for him after his performances.
  • Options
    We need to at least reach SA's score. Need a wag... Ali and bairstow can hold a bat
  • Options
    Ali gone
  • Options
    Both wickets this morning caught off inside edges
  • Options
    293=7 at Drinks.

England 20 behind with new ball due in 12 overs.

With a bit of luck we should/could be circa 20 runs ahead when the new ball is taken - lets hope we can push it up to a 50 lead by the time we're all out. Bairstow maybe needs to take on the bowling a bit more from now til new ball - at the moment he's playing beautifully.
  • Options
    Agree Pres, lead of 50 might level up the fact we will be chasing 4th dig. Need Broad and Jimmy to bowl a lot better with the new ball to put them under.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Broad bowled by Rabada - 309-8 Eng still 4 behind
  • Options
    Need Finn and Jimmy to hang around a bit now.
  • Options
    Looks like being an innings shoot out, they have the huge advantage batting first eh?
  • Options
    CHG said:

Looks like being an innings shoot out, they have the huge advantage batting first eh?

However, SA have no spinner.
  • Options
    All out 323
  • Options

CHG said:

However, SA have no spinner.
    They won't need one, will be very two paced by tomorrow I reckon, cracks opening up.
  • Options
    Broad in the mood. Reckon he's going to have one of 'those' spells he has. SA 31-3. Broad all 3 wickets.
  • Options

Broad in the mood. Reckon he's going to have one of 'those' spells he has. SA 31-3. Broad all 3 wickets.

Lets hope so.
  • Options
    Another one gone! Broad again. But make sure you watch the catch from Taylor. Simply incredible.
  • Options
    Great field placement too