Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

South Africa v England Series 2015/2016

Comments

• Options

How many overs left in the day?

Last over before tea and 36 after you take the two off for change of innings.

But there is drizzle and it is pretty dark too so with a lead of 157 we should be safe.
  • Options
    The draw is now 1.02 on Betfair or 1/50 in old money.
  • Options

How many overs left in the day?

MIn of 37 - however, there will be 2 overs deducted coz of turnaround , and also it would take (you would think) at least 2 overs for SA to take 4 wickets - so, 33 overs to get 160 runs to win - not really doable in Test cricket.However, we really need to bat for another half-hour to make sure.
  • Options
    Apologies, just saw that AA had already explained.
  • Options

Oh no it's starting to rain ;-)

Cook smearing himself in blood and prostrating himself to the rain gods clearly worked
  • Options

Compton out caught with a nothing shot - seven minutes before lunch. Stick to what you're good at son!

85-4

Bring back Gary Ballance !
  • Options

How many of us would have predicted that all of our top seven bar one would have managed at least one 50 in the first two Tests - and that Cook would be the only one not to do so (42 in total in four innings).

That is a sign of progress and a non reliance on Cook and Root to dig us out of trouble the whole time.

And I certainly wouldn't have said that our numbers 6 & 7 would amass over 600 runs between them after the first two Tests either.
  • Options
    I heard that its likely that both Steyn and Philander will be available for next Test - though with the emergence of Rabada, maybe Philander might have to wait his turn
  • Options

I heard that its likely that both Steyn and Philander will be available for next Test - though with the emergence of Rabada, maybe Philander might have to wait his turn

Or play 4 quicks
  • Options

Compton out caught with a nothing shot - seven minutes before lunch. Stick to what you're good at son!

85-4

Bring back Gary Ballance !
    Seriously think GB is a far better player than Compton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Game over if not officially. Bad light stopped play.
  • Options

Game over if not officially. Bad light stopped play.

Yep, that should be that. After the scorching weather for the first 4 days, its a shame.
  • Options
    Match Drawn, 1-0 two to go, thank god there is a bit of a break between tests, the Saffa's were getting a bit of momentum there...
  • Options
    Amla resigns as captain!
  • Options
    Assuming that ABV doesn't want it who is likely to get it? Du Plessis? There aren't many fit fixtures in their side are there?
  • Options
    Amla confirms he steps down as captain "to concentrate on my own game"...

The bloke just got a double hundred!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    ABdV is the new captain
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

ABdV is the new captain

Yes but only at this stage for the final two Tests. And if all is true about him wanting to reduce his "workload", he might not be playing Test cricket for much longer.
  • Options

Amla confirms he steps down as captain "to concentrate on my own game"...

The bloke just got a double hundred!

very strange timing. He must have made his mind up before the start of this test I feel

• Options
    confirmed he made his mind up 2 weeks before the first test !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amla definitely struck me as the most reluctant of captains, as Michael Vaughan said on the radio, you probably couldn't have got a more different character than Graeme Smith.

Thoroughly puzzled that ABD didn't get the job in the first place, with the proviso that he never had to keep wicket as well as captain etc.

All very strange, but the racial politics of SA cricket are never far from the surface.
  • Options

Shows you what i know - Philander not in squad - and now Steyn is not fit.
    Considering that the 3rd and 4th are back-to-back tests, would probably assume he wont play in 4th test either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35281408
  • Options
    Thought i'd spice up the forum as things are quiet at the moment !

3rd Test starts tomorrow at Joburg.
    England could be without Hales as he has a bug. Steyn is not fit for SA - and they have released Dane Piedt - and likely to go with 4 quicks, with Viljoen (who is almost as big as Morne Morkel) in for his debut.

AS an aside, was watching a bit of Big Bash this morning and the commentators were saying that the player of the tournament so far is Adil Rashid ! - i had to rewind it to make sure i didnt mis-hear.
  • Options

England could be without Hales as he has a bug. Steyn is not fit for SA - and they have released Dane Piedt - and likely to go with 4 quicks, with Viljoen (who is almost as big as Morne Morkel) in for his debut.

AS an aside, was watching a bit of Big Bash this morning and the commentators were saying that the player of the tournament so far is Adil Rashid ! - i had to rewind it to make sure i didnt mis-hear.

Is that secret footage from the Charlton dressing room after the game last night?
  • Options

He has been bowling exceptionally well. Top wicket taker with 14 and his economy rate is only just above six an over.

The biggest aspect of his bowling is that batsmen can't read his googly so either end up defending or getting bowled.

Will definitely be an asset to us in the World Cup in this form.
  • Options

He has been bowling exceptionally well. Top wicket taker with 14 and his economy rate is only just above six an over.

The biggest aspect of his bowling is that batsmen can't read his googly so either end up defending or getting bowled.

i bet he gets taken apart in the World Cup and goes for over 8. World class (and sub continent) players can all spot him - ordinary Ozzies cant.
  • Options

i bet he gets taken apart in the World Cup and goes for over 8. World class (and sub continent) players can all spot him - ordinary Ozzies cant.
    Yes, I'd never thought of the Rashid googly terrorising batsmen...
  • Options

Yes, I'd never thought of the Rashid googly terrorising batsmen...
    Then you have to take my word for it because I've watched virtually every ball of this year's BB.

For the record, though, his victims this year are Christian, Wells, Lynn, Cutting, Willey, Tye, Agar, Maddison, Silk, Carters, Carberry, Marsh (M), Wright and Maxwell.

Eleven Internationals in that 14 including one of the world's best one day player in the shape of Maxwell plus Lynn, the top scorer in this year's BB and also tipped to be in Australia's WC squad.

In addition to the googly, he also bowled a "faster" leg break at 65 mph so he does have more than the one variation.

So I think the BB has done him the world of good. And anything less than 8 an over will be totally acceptable in the WC.
  • Options
    Lets see at the end of the WC shall we? - i'm very confident i'll win !

Not dissing your list of victims AA, but the majority are 'ordinary' players. Either peripheral or past it (except Maxwell maybe - but i just class him as a slogger anyway). I dont really see the likes of Kohli,Dhawan,Dhoni,ABDV,SMith,FInch,Warner,Guptill,WIlliamson,Amla,Gayle etc quaking in their boots worrying about Rashids google - i hope i'm proved wrong.

Yeah, i saw the fast leg-break - was that the one that he bowled as a fast long-hop that the batsman missed trying to smash it out the park? (the ball after he was smacked for six today?) - i remember thinking at the time that he got lucky there.
    However, cant argue with his figures so far in the BB.

Agree with Lynn though - and also Travis Head -if only we had a couple of young players like that !

• Options
    Was working out my team for the T20 world cup.. I'd go with

Hales
    Roy
    Root
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Moeen
    Willey
    Rashid
    Jordan
    Finn

Plunkett, Topley, Billings, Vince, Parry
    would be the rest of my squad.

Bairstow, Taylor, Wood, Woakes, Wright, lumb, Patel, Ansari

Would all be in with a shout of the squad I'm sure there are more that I have missed but that's what I've got off the top of my head.

Wasn't sure whether to take out Jordan and use Stokes/Root as your fifth bowler, and so bring in Vince.. that may be the way to go in India. Tough call!

The bowlers could be switched around for me as I don't see too much between them. The only one I would definitely have in there is Willey.. There is no way he can not play. Other than that I see it as one of Jordan/Woakes alongside one of Topley/Finn/Plunkett.. All pretty interchangeable..

The batsmen pretty much pick themselves...