Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cally Harriott Recalled

Comments

• Options

Hope he can do what Bulot did second half of last year! Provide another outlet trouble defenses and score goals!

This in itself will mean teams can't double up on JBG so he will hopefully return to format! Wishful thinking maybe, but could just save our season.

Would be nice to see but I guess if Harriott is on the left, the Right Mid / Back for the opposition will gang up on him whilst Johann will have the same issues the other side

What I've enjoyed about the Fraeye reign was the way the Midfield operated against Sheffield Wednesday... Yes we didnt have any wide players (Was narrow with Ba / Jackson / Diarra and Johann behind the Strikers) but all of them were forever moving about, each occupying whichever position needed filling, it made them difficult to man mark and we benefited from it.

Strangely we've not seen it again and its almost like Fraeye turned round and said, nahhh that obviously didnt work, wont be trying that anymore!!
    I thought we stopped playing the diamond midfield after losing to Ipswich.
  • Options
    For my second one [which Dorus de Vries tipped over the bar] he told me after the game ‘I hardly saw it and thought it was going over but just stuck my hand there’. Luckily for him it hit his hand.

“I thought it was going in but it was a bit too straight. At least I am getting into good positions.

Interesting see the views of an opposition Goalkeeper when making a save from one of our players...

To be honest, I've watched it back a few times and Callum is right, it was going a bit too straight but I think I agree with Dorus, it probably was a bit too high and maybe was going over.
  • Options
    If we get more of the Harriott who was outstanding against Forest then we are onto a winner. But if it is the player who was so awful against Barnsley last season ... let's hope not. Of course, this doesn't allow for the possibility our tactically brilliant interim manager will decide he is a right back ...
  • Options
    He's like any other Footballer though, he's going to have bad games so its important not to get on his back when that happens... If he was constantly brilliant just remember, he wouldn't be a Charlton player!!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Harriott is a league 1 player, he was slaughtered here before for a reason.

He comes back here and after 90 minutes he is a hero.

Pleeeeeeeasssseeeee.

So wrong.

He went out on loan to League 1 because his confidence was shot.

The amount of Goals and assists while in League 1 show he is at least a mid-low championship player and still has time to develop.
    Saturday showed the potential he has and he should only get better. Trouble is, two or three more performances like this in January and the Wiked Witch will be offloading him to the first bidder (and signing an unfit out-of-contract replacement)
  • Options

Well done Callum... Made it into the Team of the Week

Someone show that to our scouting team and tell them that's the 11 players we need to sign.
    The majority of that 11 are Championship stalwarts and also within our budget
    Doubt Adomah or Norwood are, nor is George Friend
    Not now maybe, but Boro apparently paid 100k for Friend and £1m for Adomah, well within the sorts of fees we've paid over the last 2 years for the likes of Igor and Sarr.
  • Options
    MarkyE83 said:
    It's clear that he prefers Fraeye to Luzon, certainly the Riga/Fraeye period was the highlight of his career so far
  • Options
    Interesting to hear the players views of Fraeye. First Jackson was singing his praises, now Harriot. Easy to say "well they would", but there can be no denying that Harriot has always performed very well under him. Perhaps this is why Carol is able to cling to the job, despite results.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    George Friend looked like a quality player the last couple of times I've seen Boro play, they got an absolute bargain their if he only cost £100k.

Harrriot is a good player in my opinion, it's not just one game he's been good in, before losing form last season he wasn't totally on it but looked good. Fingers crossed the loan has had a lasting effect and his confidence holds up.

JBG should have a few words I reckon if he hasn't already. Still maybe with some of the form JBG has been showing maybe Harrriot should have some words with him.
  • Options
    Good to see he rates him .
  • Options

George Friend looked like a quality player the last couple of times I've seen Boro play, they got an absolute bargain their if he only cost £100k.

Harrriot is a good player in my opinion, it's not just one game he's been good in, before losing form last season he wasn't totally on it but looked good. Fingers crossed the loan has had a lasting effect and his confidence holds up.

JBG should have a few words I reckon if he hasn't already. Still maybe with some of the form JBG has been showing maybe Harrriot should have some words with him.

Wanted by Powell I believe along with a few other players now doing the biz higher up our division or in the Prem, but was denied the money to sign him. What might have been if Spanish Tony hadn't thrown and wobbly at Kevin Cash.
  • Options
    I've seen a few posts suggesting that he'll leave for nothing in the summer.

The club have the option of extending his deal - http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116405&headline=Revealed: Charlton Athletic have option to extend winger's Valley stay&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016
  • Options
    And yet the eternal dilemma is we still can't honestly say which is the more 'typical' Harriott and which was the fluke. For every time he plays a blinder, he has 90 minutes of utter anonymity. Wingers are often blow hot/blow cold but for my money rarely have we had a winger as good as Harriott at his best or as frustrating as him at his worst.

(Cue the list of examples in 3, 2, 1...)
  • Options
    He only has one good game in 10, and that's not good enough really. He has to prove me wrong now, but I suspect he won't kick on, as he hasn't kicked on previously
  • Options
    Harriott is the biggest stereotypical winger. Completely a confidence player that is capable of playing very well every couple of games. At other times he is anonymous.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

He only has one good game in 10, and that's not good enough really. He has to prove me wrong now, but I suspect he won't kick on, as he hasn't kicked on previously

He was consistent at Colchester. He is more experienced now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's 22... Can we say were consistant at something at that age?
  • Options
    He's not a tall guy but he seems to have really bulked out the last season, he doesn't get knocked off the ball easily now.

I like him.
  • Options
    He is a confidence player yet no manager has put their faith in him from the beginning of the season. The first year he broke through on the second half of the season and was brilliant, a large part of the reason we finished 9th.. However the beginning of the next season Powell opted for Stewart ahead of him. This year he was sent out on loan.

The only year he's been backed from the beginning of the season was by Bob Peeters who changed his role/position every other day.. He also had been injured in preseason so took time to get into it.

I guess what I'm saying is if a manager showed faith in him from the beginning of the season his confidence would be up and we might get it more consistent out of him.
  • Options
    Thierry Henry started as a winger with Arse until Wenger moved him up front. Could Callum be used the same way. He's as good as anyone else we've currently got.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Even though he divides opinion amongst us it's accepted that he had a good spell with Colchester and proved himself a decent player at that level. Well we're going to be at that level next season so keeping him on is really a no brainer. No point in replacing him unless he decides to leave.

On Saturday he took both his goals brilliantly. However, maybe I was subconsciously looking to be critical, other than the goals the main thing I noticed about him was how he kept getting robbed so easily of the ball which on a few occasions put us into trouble.
    It will be interesting to see if he is still learning and how he progresses.......or doesn't maybe.
  • Options
    I've been critical of him in the past but by all accounts he was excellent in a terrible Colchester side (who still beat us!) and since coming back has done well. MOM against Forest, Fulham and Brentford i reckon. As with most wingers a confidence player but given a proper run of games where he starts every week he will do well and suprise a few i reckon.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    We let Kevin Lisbie go just as we came down from the Premier League and then watched him score about fifteen goals for Colchester in the Championship the next season and wished we had someone like him at that level. I think it would be the same with Callum if we were to lose him in the summer. Mind you, as we're talking about Duchatelet's Charlton and not a normal football club, I have no reason to suppose that we'll bother to try to renew his contract. After all there must be some one a lot cheaper playing for K Rupel Boom FC who could come over and run around a bit for us...
  • Options
    se7oaks said:

Thierry Henry started as a winger with Arse until Wenger moved him up front. Could Callum be used the same way. He's as good as anyone else we've currently got.

Hardly a recommendation.