Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

5pm Protest, Pictures, Videos & Reaction

Comments

• Dansk_Red said:

Guys, there is a advertising board on the side of the shop at the top of Floyd Road (Charlton Cars). KM would be unable to avoid it on her walk from the station to The Valley.

I suspect she won't be making that walk again. Expect a car to the ground from now on.
  • mogodon said:

Dansk_Red said:

Guys, there is a advertising board on the side of the shop at the top of Floyd Road (Charlton Cars). KM would be unable to avoid it on her walk from the station to The Valley.

I suspect she won't be making that walk again. Expect a car to the ground from now on.
    Depends how far from the ground she lives.
  • Re posters. There are three elements

Design

Production

media (the cost of the billboard space)

The person I'm aware of best placed to investigate the feasibility and cost of securing the space is @DamoNorthStand.

Things may have changed but at the time of the Valley Party billboards were normally rented for a calendar month

For design, I'd nominate @Stig to do a brilliant job

Production; again things have changed in 25 years, hopefully someone with relevant experience will come forward.

It won't be cheap. The Valley Party billboard design and production were financed by a rich advertising agency, which also persuaded the billboard space owners that our campaign was a "charity".

Lighting projections could be an extra option and surely cheaper.

Not sure how you'd do it but imagine it would be pretty simple to project images and protest slogans onto the valley temporarily etc which would be very effective at night games. Bit like the ones people put on parliament.

Wouldn't have a clue where to start with it but sure some techies on here would have an idea.

It's not cheap to do unless you own the equipment, I am working with a company over the next few weeks who may be able to loam me the equipment to do it, I can not at this stage promise anything more than I will ask the questions and see if I can either loan theirs or get put in touch with a company who will provide me what we need
    Great stuff NLA
  • Any houses outside the ground which might be willing to display poster/s for £50 a week?
  • Why can't we just project against the Valley from a van, take the photos and put them out to the media? This can be done in Belgium as well on Roland's office wall if we know were it is.
  • If you're looking to hit RD in Belgium with a poster, you could always try a site near to Sint-Truiden's ground.

His main electronics company, Melexis, is based in Ypres.
  • Not sure how possible it is but a few people on here are cabbies. Couldn't we get their taxi's vinyl wrapped up?
  • Why can't we just project against the Valley from a van, take the photos and put them out to the media? This can be done in Belgium as well on Roland's office wall if we know were it is.

I know someone who's done a similar protest in the past. If you like, I'll try to find out how they did it.
    From the block of flats behind the Jimmy Seed?
  • Sponsored links:

I know someone who's done a similar protest in the past. If you like, I'll try to find out how they did it.
    Personally, I think any input would be of use. Good idea, I have never done this myself.

We probably could but I think personally the best results will come from a decent amount of planning and then using the right equipment to do it properly, we are not going to numerous opportunity to project an image onto the ground and we should make sure we make the most of the opportunity
  • I am well up for that one also mate, but we need a bit of national media and awareness to get things moving on
  • Some of the projectors used at conferences and seminars range in price from 5k to 25k and are quite delicate in how they need to be operated, I think it's a great idea and one that we can use not only on the valley but other prominent buildings in London and really take advantage of getting the message out past se7, once done here I have no problems using one of my vehicles to travel to Belgium and do the same there but let's not rush let's plan and that starts with understanding the equipment and it's costs, then off line away from prying eyes we can get a group of us together and really move the campaign up a notch,

I thought about projecting on to the tower of big ben or OXO Tower but I really don't think that is a good idea. How about Stone Henge, we shall not be moved.
  • Fuck it all in the west stand facing KM and RM and give them pelters not for 1 or 2 mins for 20 mins.Let's see them try to throw everyone out.Nicey Nicey won't work.

Somebody said that the bar code for their (East?) stand seat would let them into the West stand turnstile(s). If this is true then we have an open door to push at.
    I hope we can manage a draw at mighty Colchester and bring them home for a replay, that would lead to a determined showing.
    Alternatively try to change your seat to the West stand as a one off. or alternatively alternatively @northstandsteve is right we need to target a game and pack the west lower out anyway.
    P.S.
    Apologies in advance to any West Stand regulars.
  • edited January 2016

Billboard prices -

Bus stops in Charlton area are generally £123 per week, in Woolwich they seem to be £167 per week.

Billboards vary in price, some examples are:-
    Woolwich Road (Penhall Road) £727 per week. There are 2 here, the westerly one is fully booked all year, the easterly one is available from 15th Feb onwards.
    Woolwich Road (near Rainton Rd, on the side of a house) £311 per week, booked all year.
    Anchor & Hope Lane £248 per week, one available 28th March onwards, the other April 25th onwards.
    Charlton Rd (Wyndcliffe) £268 per week. One week available 1st Feb, then booked until after 29th Feb

Looks like bookings need to be for 2 week minimum.

Don't know anything about this stuff really, just hooked up an account at http://www.signkick.co.uk

Happy to remain point person if it helps but it won't put my nose out of joint if someone else local takes over, just let me know.

I used to work for JCDecaux and all ads were done over a two week period there also, I think it's a standard thing. There were some that were on a different rotation, but these were classed as specials and would have cost more as it messes with the general operation. Unfortunately I worked on the operational side so had more to do with arranging for the posters to be changed and getting the equipment maintained rather than dealing with the advertising itself, so I don't have any contacts that I can use to help. That said, JCD are very corporate in their nature so it's doubtful that they'd do a favour for somebody anyway. I would also have some concern that one of the larger companies (JCD/Clearchannel etc.) may be a little more picky about the ads they were running. It's possible one of the smaller companies would be willing to run such a campaign, so I think Signkick would be a good starting point.
  • Sponsored links:

• All the posters are simple enough in design to work in any size and format. Once the concepts are agreed, will just need specific specs for creating the artwork but that's usually easy to get from the media company website. There is still the issue of using quotes and images of individuals and the legalities of that. That may mean some concepts have to die. Anyone with any knowledge in this would be helpful.
  • Spanish said:

Fumbluff said:

I think your number 1 consideration for the projection would be a fan living on Floyd Road/Harvey Gardens with a window pointing unobscuredly at a nice piece of Valley.
    Not sure on the legalities mind but worse case you'd only need it up for 5-minutes to take a few sweet pictures :wink:

Absolutely, that's how you make the most of it, get the pictures of it into the wider media. That was a key part of the VP billboard tactics.

You could always drop some leaflets to the local residents and ask permission to project something from their property, maybe even offer some incentive ??
    There were a couple looking over there garden fences last night; I don't know their views but I dare say they have their own views on the situation which could be interesting!
  • edited January 2016

redman said:

Is there a billboard outside RD office in Belgium? This might have a big impact

If we can't find out where he works I think it would be just as effective to put one big bastard sized billboard poster somewhere that will really embarrass him. Brussels mainline station for example.

Something tells me this form of embarrassment may be rather alien to him, and could be more unsettling than the protests he had to deal with (in person, on occasion) previously at Standard Liege. In some ways, the regime should be pretty clued up on handling Fan Action from their dealings with SL, I would say the same for our fans though - it's not our first fight and I think the level of organisation shown so far has demonstrated this splendidly.

On a side note, I was browsing the wikipedia article for Roland and couldn't help but have a giggle at this little nugget regarding his book:
    A new political party BANAAN ("Beter Alternatieven Nastreven Als Apathisch Nietsdoen", or "Better seeking for alternatives than doing nothing in apathy") used this book as its political program.
    How rather apt for us at the moment.
  • Beckboy said:

We need Anonymous hacking group to take down Strapix computer network and keep doing it until he fooks off ;-)

Now that is an interesting and probably more effective approach.
  • Dansk_Red said:

That is one very obvious place to put one. If you ask the shop owners permission and they refuse we can boycott them. Also the Valley Café could participate. Don't fancy boycotting them though!
  • waldo said:

Dansk_Red said:

That is one very obvious place to put one. If you ask the shop owners permission and they refuse we can boycott them. Also the Valley Café could participate. Don't fancy boycotting them though!
    Usually billboards attached to buildings are there because the billboard company has paid a large sum of money to the property owner (usually in the form of an annual rental agreement). The owner may be able to veto certain ads but in general, the billboard company deals with the sales on that particular board.
  • waldo said:

Dansk_Red said:

It is most unlikely the shop owners have any say in what goes on the billboard or even that they benefit from the ad revenue.

That's how we were able to whack up the " lets send the council to Croydon " billboard on the side of the Town Hall :-)

• stonemuse said:

mogodon said:

Dansk_Red said:

Doesn't she travel by train?
  • Billboard prices -

Bus stops in Charlton area are generally £123 per week, in Woolwich they seem to be £167 per week.

Billboards vary in price, some examples are:-
    Woolwich Road (Penhall Road) £727 per week. There are 2 here, the westerly one is fully booked all year, the easterly one is available from 15th Feb onwards.
    Woolwich Road (near Rainton Rd, on the side of a house) £311 per week, booked all year.
    Anchor & Hope Lane £248 per week, one available 28th March onwards, the other April 25th onwards.
    Charlton Rd (Wyndcliffe) £268 per week. One week available 1st Feb, then booked until after 29th Feb

Looks like bookings need to be for 2 week minimum.

Don't know anything about this stuff really, just hooked up an account at http://www.signkick.co.uk

Happy to remain point person if it helps but it won't put my nose out of joint if someone else local takes over, just let me know.

I think the organiser's of the protests should thank you for your research WC.
  • waldo said:

stonemuse said:

mogodon said:

Dansk_Red said:

Doesn't she travel by train?
    Until she gets some verbals.