Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Riga *Might* be coming back

Comments

• FFS we are going round in circles , he did ok last time but Riga is not the answer we need something set in stone long term , wot are these people doing , I love this club and these fucking arseholes are destroying it .
  • If RD were to give a manager a budget and the autonomy to buy who he wants, sell who he wants and pick who he wants, then any failure would rest solely with the manager. Currently every failure rests with him and his cronies.
  • I reckon we should just go the whole hog, you know like an avengers assembled movie, let's bring back Riga, Luzon and Peeters, as well as super Karel, could be a right old mash up.

Not a bad shout...

We could have 4-5 Managers in the dug out directing our 4-5 strikers on the pitch.
  • Got to question Riga's self respect. Roland, Roland, Owston, Roland, Roland.

Seems he will take whatever for a pound note
  • Steve avery has become RD according to the Daily mail article on Riga
  • edited January 2016
    I liked Riga, he's been my favourite one of Roland's hires. However I wouldn't like to see him come back, if only because it gives me two worries:

(a) Would it placate a large chunk of our fanbase, weakening protests?
    (b) Why would Jose put himself through working underneath Roland again?

The Jonathan Legear/Jose Riga business that was mentioned earlier in the thread looked very interesting, I doubt it's true. In case anyone's missed it, I know I did, there were allegations made that Leager had paid Riga for him to be selected during a play-off match - supposedly to trigger a clause in his contract.

What was more interesting though, was that in Leager's response he released his salary; as a 28 year old in the Standard Liege squad he was receiving around €3200 gross salary - as he took a "youth contract". Makes you wonder what kind of sheer and utter lunacy goes on whilst negotiating with Roland's mob.
  • The good news is that Thanks Colin will be getting all the scoops live from the Bexleyheath Marriott again
  • The good news is that Thanks Colin will be getting all the scoops live from the Bexleyheath Marriott again

He's getting his fried eggs ready right now ;-)
  • I think I also have a soft spot for Riga for his son's comments ([Linkie to the discussion]) after the club didn't offer him a contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• All things like this do is highlight to the media and those outside that this club is being insanely run. So can only help our cause

On another note given the choices the club has regarding managers I would be absolutely delighted if Riga came back. At least a manager I could support, as well as a team.
  • colin1961 said:

sralan said:

If Riga wasn't deemed good enough before, then why bring him back? Couldn't make it up................................................... oh hang on, we're owned and staffed by Belgian tossers with blinkers on.

No one has said he wasn't deemed good enough before.

Yes, they didn't extend his contract and brought Peeters in, but it couldn't have been because he wasn't deemed good enough.

It was more likely because he wasn't a yes man, cost more than Peeters or Peeters had already been agreed as the new manager after Powell, but couldn't start until the summer.
    Riga a very nice bloke spoke to him a few times , his main problem was his family and there reluctance to move to the area ....
    Then he took the Blackpool job, did his family display any reluctance for that area?
  • colin1961 said:

sralan said:

If Riga wasn't deemed good enough before, then why bring him back? Couldn't make it up................................................... oh hang on, we're owned and staffed by Belgian tossers with blinkers on.

No one has said he wasn't deemed good enough before.

Yes, they didn't extend his contract and brought Peeters in, but it couldn't have been because he wasn't deemed good enough.

It was more likely because he wasn't a yes man, cost more than Peeters or Peeters had already been agreed as the new manager after Powell, but couldn't start until the summer.
    Riga a very nice bloke spoke to him a few times , his main problem was his family and there reluctance to move to the area ....
    As long as his a good bloke things will be ok.
  • Realistically Riga is the best we can hope for under Duchatelet and it could be a lot worse. If we are going to bring him in let's do it quickly and let's do it as properly as we can by removing Fraeye completely, no assistant manager or director of football positions.
  • shirty5 said:

A year ago today Peeters got the sack. If we appoint Riga back in charge today we would have had

Peeters
    Matthew/Roberts
    Luzon
    Interim Fraeye
    Riga

as Head Coaches/ Caretakers.

Farcical how you get through so many in 12 months.

I've posted my view on "Interim Fraeye" before, using "Interim" was a very good way of giving a the job to someone woefully unqualified and avoiding the fans protesting (hah.) whilst also avoiding awkward questions when he inevitably gets the boot.

If this is truly the reasoning behind his appointment, then it's clear that even Meire must now be thinking "this is going a bit too far, we can't keep doing this.". Alas, nobody qualified and coming from outside the network is going to be open to working at the club now - it's career suicide - so she's made a bit of a mess for herself really.

For Riga, this could mean he has a few bargaining chips to play with. I still don't think it's worth it.
  • edited January 2016
    Even the Daily Mail are saying that we're about to get Riga back... They don't often get things wrong (With us anyway)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3393028/Charlton-set-reappoint-Jose-Riga-boss-shock-FA-Cup-defeat-leaves-Karel-Fraeye-looking-increasingly-likely-depart.html
  • Mackle said:

Les Reed, not Mills as such.

I seem to recall that Richard Murray's first move post-Curbs was to appoint Andrew Mills as some type of director of football / head of recruitment, a player was signed (can't remember who... Possibly Corey Gibbs?) and then the rumours surfaced that Billy Davies reacted badly to Andrew Mills being the final voice in transfers.
    Mills was in situ with Curbs and Curbs says he had no problem with that. He had a silly title - general manager - but was essentially a gofer. He did not make the decisions.

That is a separate issue from the imposition of a coaching set-up on Dowie, which was to keep out his brother, but was IMO not a reasonable constraint in that any incoming manager should have appointed their own team. With Davies I understand the situation was less clear cut.
    Curbs was such a god at the club that it probably didn't matter who else was there, I imagine for a new person it would have been a lot harder to completely dominate transfer thinking?
  • IAgree said:

This may help us stay up but as far as the underlying problems facing this club it changes nothing - in fact it illustrates every problem better than words could.

Completely sums it up @IAgree
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

AshBurton said:

Even the Daily Mail are saying that we're about to get Riga back... They don't often get things wrong (With us anyway)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3393028/Charlton-set-reappoint-Jose-Riga-boss-shock-FA-Cup-defeat-leaves-Karel-Fraeye-looking-increasingly-likely-depart.html

Worth reading if only for the entertaining rant by Chris Parkes' wife in the comments section
    She could have just left it at "that isn't Roland Duchatelet it's Steve Avory" couldn't she ?
    The photos been removed which makes it even more confusing.
  • LouisMend said:

This was what it had said

Oops, can't blame her for sounding off really, I wouldn't want my reputation tarnished by being seen fraternising with the enemy or a close associate of mine being mistakenly identified for our megalomaniac owner.
  • Got to question Riga's self respect. Roland, Roland, Owston, Roland, Roland.

Seems he will take whatever for a pound note

A fair point, though you'd have to question the self-respect of anyone who would take the Charlton job right now
  • Assume someone will produce this with the 'new' manager's picture? Is Riga really as good as it gets for Charlton or is he the only manager Meire knows who wouldn't cause a riot?
  • My only hope is that to agree to come back, Riga insisted on some more money to strengthen the squad.