Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga *Might* be coming back

Comments

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

john3 said:

john3 said:

I went to the demonstrations both before and after the match against Forest to make my presence and feelings known, i stood there and joined in the singing not for a compromise but to join with the Charlton family in attempting to get this board and its manager out.
    Why on earth should we settle for anything less;i do not believe that by the board appointing Riga if it is true should be acceptable to us,i think it is an insult [not the man himself,he's being used to appease the "customers"] .
    Are we really going to accept this? keep standing,keep the faith and WE WILL SEE THIS THROUGH,NO COMPROMISE!

I think you're confusing 2 issues here.

You are allowed to have a good coach and still want the owners out.

I'm happy with Riga, but still want the owners out.
    Disagree ,if Riga comes in and we survive the drop that will only strengthen the current boards position to stay and say that their appointment was right and what are we complaining about. I think also that the current momentum of demonstration may loose weight as we accept the new status quo,then a few months into the new season the same old
    chestnut!!
    What!!! You want us relegated to satisfy your judgement on the owner! Odd, very odd!!!
    Welcome Riga, hope he can do it again and let's see where we end up. For me the best outcome would be for Roland to change his ways not leave. Moneybags owners do not grow on trees
    Of course i dont want us relegated;but i want to see change in the leadership of the club;do you really think Rd is going to change, odd,very odd!!! I do not have any satisfaction in having any kind of judgement on the owner.Fans demonstrated enmass to get this joke board out now not next season,NOW!!!!!
    If we didnt stand for that then what were we all doing demonstrating in the first place,you maybe happy with a quick fix till august when it all goes pear shaped again but im not.
  • Options

Riga hasn't been brought back to placate us fans. He's been brought back because RD is looking at his investment going down the plughole into League One. He knows Riga. Riga knows us and no doubt is willing to work with what he's got and not make the kind of demands the British managers named on here would.

It's perhaps a bonus for RD and us that Riga is not going to be universally disliked but if you think this appointment has anything to do with the protests then I think you are mistaken.

Agree SHG.
  • Options
    If Riga keeps us up I'll watch every game next year from a laundry basket.
  • Options
    If Riga comes back and we still get relegated can we all just agree in advance that Chris Powell would-will have kept-keep us up....?
  • Options
    Seriously. We sign players who we got rid of and now, possibly, a manager we got rid of. Do Meire and RD actually know anyone from outside their bloody network. I know Riga kept us up last time but we need something new, nothing something rehashed. If he is named then it stinks of desperation. And is he really the best the club can get?
  • Options
    This squad is so much worse than what he had to work with last time.
  • Options
    john3 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

john3 said:

john3 said:

I went to the demonstrations both before and after the match against Forest to make my presence and feelings known, i stood there and joined in the singing not for a compromise but to join with the Charlton family in attempting to get this board and its manager out.
    Why on earth should we settle for anything less;i do not believe that by the board appointing Riga if it is true should be acceptable to us,i think it is an insult [not the man himself,he's being used to appease the "customers"] .
    Are we really going to accept this? keep standing,keep the faith and WE WILL SEE THIS THROUGH,NO COMPROMISE!

I think you're confusing 2 issues here.

You are allowed to have a good coach and still want the owners out.

I'm happy with Riga, but still want the owners out.
    Disagree ,if Riga comes in and we survive the drop that will only strengthen the current boards position to stay and say that their appointment was right and what are we complaining about. I think also that the current momentum of demonstration may loose weight as we accept the new status quo,then a few months into the new season the same old
    chestnut!!
    What!!! You want us relegated to satisfy your judgement on the owner! Odd, very odd!!!
    Welcome Riga, hope he can do it again and let's see where we end up. For me the best outcome would be for Roland to change his ways not leave. Moneybags owners do not grow on trees
    Of course i dont want us relegated;but i want to see change in the leadership of the club;do you really think Rd is going to change, odd,very odd!!! I do not have any satisfaction in having any kind of judgement on the owner.Fans demonstrated enmass to get this joke board out now not next season,NOW!!!!!
    If we didnt stand for that then what were we all doing demonstrating in the first place,you maybe happy with a quick fix till august when it all goes pear shaped again but im not.
    So the owners aren't going today and we can't change that today.

But Fraeye hopefully is to be replaced by Riga. Why is this not acceptable, as far as it goes ?

Are you saying you want us to keep Fraeye ?
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Seriously. We sign players who we got rid of and now, possibly, a manager we got rid of. Do Meire and RD actually know anyone from outside their bloody network. I know Riga kept us up last time but we need something new, nothing something rehashed. If he is named then it stinks of desperation. And is he really the best the club can get?

Well said
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sums it up for me too john3 well said
  • Options
    mogodon said:

It will get us fans onside at least
    The valley with be rocking in full voice that's for sure
    Best we could have hoped for as in sure he pays them peanuts

If the appointment of someone who has failed at three clubs after a decent short spell with us means the fans are suddenly onside, then God help the club. Fraeye's dire management was a symptom of massive institutional problems, not the problem itself. If Riga comes back then it has to make Meire, Murray and RD even more singled out as targets
    nail on the head!
  • Options
    mogodon said:

No. But he's the best that RD is prepared to give us.

• Options

mogodon said:

Well F*** RD then.

Roll on Blackburn.
  • Options

mogodon said:

So we all just settle for that then?
  • Options
    BOYCOTT
  • Options
    cafctom said:

This 'affinity' that Riga had with us when he was here is being massively overstated. He was a random manager who happened to do OK, and is a nice bloke - that's pretty much it. He's not a 'Charlton man' or someone we should identify with as fans through choice - just like any other network nobody

We need at least 8 wins.
    Nobody else will take this job.
    A "Charlton man" applied for the job before and it went to Luzon.
    We have to get behind JR and give ourselves a chance.
    He is not our preferred choice, but our options are few.
    At least he is a bit more tactically aware than soppy KF.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    john3 said:

KINSELLA7 said:

At last, you and some others are showing indications of sense. If Riga comes it's got to be a massive improvement on Fraeye. Ranting against the owners stands no more and no less chance of succeeding than before|: i.e. none.
    If you can't get rid of them at the moment then, no need to be grateful, but be pleased with an improvement

Totally agree Riga would be a massive improvement on Fraye,my dog Ralph would be an improvement on Freye,so what if Riga comes in and doesnt keep us up,what about the momentum of demonstrations wasted by us as the fans accepting a fudged quick fix because RD and KM refused to budge .
    We have then merely delayed the inevitable with these lot in charge;the problem is now ,Riga might or might not abate the pain for a while like an aspirin but it wont deal with the problem.
    Saying we are ranting at the owners is a bit patronising as i believe the majority of fans in the car park were demonstraiting for a cause and with the right motives.
    Were you there ?,if so were you ranting ? If you were not there can i ask why not?
  • Options
    If Riga comes back then we would have a better chance of staying in the Championship. Probably the best we could hope for under Duchatelet. That said I also think it would move us one step towards Duchatelet having no further options in his warped experiment. When Duchatelet runs out of coaches then we have a chance of him selling up or changing philosophy.
  • Options
    So we are now recycling managers to go with the recycled players we re-signed last week. We continue to get behind the XI on the pitch, give Riga a break as he is what we will have if we are to stay up, but increase the noise and pressure on that wretched woman and the two geriatrics to get the hell out of our club.
  • Options
    Couldn't Riga have left standard last year because he knew RD was selling up?
  • Options
    By "ranting" I was referring to some comments on this site, not the demonstrations. I was not there as I live in Stourbridge West Midlands and only get to a few games every season. However I have supported Charlton since 1946 when I was 8 and lived in Wolfe Crescent overlooking the Valley. My father worked at Charlton and I am stuck with supporting them!
    If I had gone I would not have supported the demonstration, simply because I do not believe that it or other similar protests will have any chance of removing the owners or the CEO. I placed a number of comments saying basically that people like Roland are totally immune to and are totally unaffected by such acts. He will not even be made to blink by them. In fact he may even enjoy being able to ignore them. I have said that it would take something extreme like an extended boycott, but accepted that this would be difficult to put into effect.
    I have also said that the aim should be more achievable and limited, firstly to
    appoint a decent manager. Riga is not ideal, in that he is seen as a Roland man. although I personally think that there is more to him than that. If he is appointed then, sure, keep your opinions about the management and how the club is (or isn't run) but for the moment support him and the team to avoid relegation. To think that going to League One is a way of getting rid of Roland and moving on to better things is, in my opinion, flawed and dangerous
  • Options
    So is it true?
  • Options

It was clear to see Fraeye would not get anything near 100% out of the players and frankly should never have been given the role in the first place.

I'm happy with the appointment of Riga. Yes what if somebody like Steve Clarke, Nigel Pearson or Gary Monk had been brought in, they would have been gambles as while they may know about the Championship they don't know the culture of the club and how RD works either. At least Riga knows the culture of the club and will command the respect of the squad at least via Johnnie Jackson.

We might survive we might not but I had us certs for relegation while Fraeye was in charge. In fact i'm amazed we're not 7 or 8 points inside the relegation zone and only 1 inside instead. We now have a fighting chance of survival. Relegation to League One would be so much more damaging than last time.

I don't understand why some are up in arms about going back to a former manager, yes it is an admission Riga should have been kept on but at least RD appears to be accepting several mistakes have been made and looking to put them right and while RD pulls the strings that has to be a positive.

So this.