Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga *Might* be coming back

Comments

• Options

john3 said:

john3 said:

I went to the demonstrations both before and after the match against Forest to make my presence and feelings known, i stood there and joined in the singing not for a compromise but to join with the Charlton family in attempting to get this board and its manager out.
    Why on earth should we settle for anything less;i do not believe that by the board appointing Riga if it is true should be acceptable to us,i think it is an insult [not the man himself,he's being used to appease the "customers"] .
    Are we really going to accept this? keep standing,keep the faith and WE WILL SEE THIS THROUGH,NO COMPROMISE!

I think you're confusing 2 issues here.

You are allowed to have a good coach and still want the owners out.

I'm happy with Riga, but still want the owners out.
    Disagree ,if Riga comes in and we survive the drop that will only strengthen the current boards position to stay and say that their appointment was right and what are we complaining about. I think also that the current momentum of demonstration may loose weight as we accept the new status quo,then a few months into the new season the same old
    chestnut!!
    I agree. However, I would prefer that we aren't relegated. Sheff U have been down there for years now.

If we go down, we too may take years to come back, or we might not even come back if Fraeye stays in charge.

Fraeye can't pick a team, he has no concept of tactics and is utterly utterly clueless.

Riga now or Fraeye, it's a no brainer for me.
    Yes, this recycling of head coaches is ridiculous, but Riga is probably the best we can expect at the moment. Relegation would be a disaster, and make finding a new owner much harder
  • Options

meldrew66 said:

Sorry, but I simply can't accept another Belgian. I also don't believe in 'going back' whether that is Riga or even Powelly. If the fans are accepting of Riga because of his 'success' last time then I worry that KM will state (if/when he fails) that the fans wanted him and that it vindicates the club's strategy regarding Belgians. Please, let's not play into their hands. We need an experienced, credible, non-Belgian ex-championship (or better) British manager. Gimme a Steve Clarke, Billy Davis etc. I just don't think that is on heir radar. Who follows Riga? Peters? It's a bloody farce. When will the madness end?

They are men of sufficient dignity and integrity that would not work under these mugs. That's why they limit their scope of puppets who are too spineless to speak out about how devoid of a clue their bosses are when it comes to football.
    Ah yes, the Billy Davies that agreed to take over from Curbs in the evening and when Murray phoned The Marriott in the morning, had gone back to Scotland, without the manners to say anything and never did.
    Wasn't that after Murray tried to force him to work with Andrew Mills? I don't blame him.
  • Options
    Riga next maybe - harder job than last time. Fraeye won't be going anywhere and we will be going down. Perhaps they have been looking at other options but who is going to agree to be another 'interim' coach? Who in their right minds wants to look Mr Roland Déjavûlet?
  • Options

It shows how wretchedly low our expectations have become under this regime that Jose Riga being appointed (if he is) is seen as cause for celebration.

Given the fact Riga averaged 1.5 points per game while in charge playing pretty much twice a week that equates to 69 pts over a 46 game season. Almost play offs form and that was with a squad worse than the one we have now (when fully fit)

It's not about low expectations, most of it frankly is having someone with credentials in charge and not Fraeye. The fact Riga managed us before and knows a lot of the squad is an added bonus.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    We are going to go down with a whimper, we have no one with any balls in the side, and no one with the ability to even win a game let alone a run that will see us clear...

These morons have mortgaged our future on a half baked plan that clearly had no chance of succeeding in the first place.

Money talks and bullshit walks to quote Spinal Tap...
  • Options
    Riga would accept that he has to use the players he has in the squad provided by the regime. He did it before when he replaced SCP. BP GL & KF complied with this model. For RD and his cronies KM RM , this is probably the only person that suits the regime. Let's hope we survive the drop in the mean time not let this lot off the hook. They are not fit to run a restaurant or cinema let alone a CAFC
  • Options

meldrew66 said:

Sorry, but I simply can't accept another Belgian. I also don't believe in 'going back' whether that is Riga or even Powelly. If the fans are accepting of Riga because of his 'success' last time then I worry that KM will state (if/when he fails) that the fans wanted him and that it vindicates the club's strategy regarding Belgians. Please, let's not play into their hands. We need an experienced, credible, non-Belgian ex-championship (or better) British manager. Gimme a Steve Clarke, Billy Davis etc. I just don't think that is on heir radar. Who follows Riga? Peters? It's a bloody farce. When will the madness end?

They are men of sufficient dignity and integrity that would not work under these mugs. That's why they limit their scope of puppets who are too spineless to speak out about how devoid of a clue their bosses are when it comes to football.
    Ah yes, the Billy Davies that agreed to take over from Curbs in the evening and when Murray phoned The Marriott in the morning, had gone back to Scotland, without the manners to say anything and never did.
    Wasn't that after Murray tried to force him to work with Andrew Mills? I don't blame him.
    Les Reed, not Mills as such.
  • Options

It shows how wretchedly low our expectations have become under this regime that Jose Riga being appointed (if he is) is seen as cause for celebration.

I don't see too much celebration. It seems to me that most people realise that RD is only going to appoint his own men which means who we want isn't a consideration. Better Riga than Fraeye or someone equally inept. But it doesn't mean all is forgiven.

I will be hugely pissed off if Fraeye stays in some capacity though. We don't need him hanging around, he has nothing to offer us.
  • Options
    KINSELLA7 said:

By "ranting" I was referring to some comments on this site, not the demonstrations. I was not there as I live in Stourbridge West Midlands and only get to a few games every season. However I have supported Charlton since 1946 when I was 8 and lived in Wolfe Crescent overlooking the Valley. My father worked at Charlton and I am stuck with supporting them!
    If I had gone I would not have supported the demonstration, simply because I do not believe that it or other similar protests will have any chance of removing the owners or the CEO. I placed a number of comments saying basically that people like Roland are totally immune to and are totally unaffected by such acts. He will not even be made to blink by them. In fact he may even enjoy being able to ignore them. I have said that it would take something extreme like an extended boycott, but accepted that this would be difficult to put into effect.
    I have also said that the aim should be more achievable and limited, firstly to
    appoint a decent manager. Riga is not ideal, in that he is seen as a Roland man. although I personally think that there is more to him than that. If he is appointed then, sure, keep your opinions about the management and how the club is (or isn't run) but for the moment support him and the team to avoid relegation. To think that going to League One is a way of getting rid of Roland and moving on to better things is, in my opinion, flawed and dangerous

Going to league one is not a way to get rid of RD,demonstrating in the right and effective way might get rid of him;having a VOICE is all we've got and i think everyone who cares should use it before we go down to league one.
    The fans that formed a party in 92 to get us back to the valley used their voices and presence to make the difference;it worked;i wont sit back and be complacent about this great club going down the tubes.
    I do not want us relegated and there are no guarantees that JR will keep us up either; i want the club to have direction whatever league we end up in because without that proper direction we are currently in freefall.
    I appreciate and respect your support of the club since 1946 thats fantastic i hope that you would appreciate all those fans that are using their voices to push for change in getting this board out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I seem to recall that Richard Murray's first move post-Curbs was to appoint Andrew Mills as some type of director of football / head of recruitment, a player was signed (can't remember who... Possibly Corey Gibbs?) and then the rumours surfaced that Billy Davies reacted badly to Andrew Mills being the final voice in transfers.
  • Options
    If I was Riga I'd be thinking f*ck off and do one. You took this away from me don't come crawling back.

Riga has been on the payroll at network club since though so he will probably accept I don't know I'm getting fed up with it all now.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mackle said:

I seem to recall that Richard Murray's first move post-Curbs was to appoint Andrew Mills as some type of director of football / head of recruitment, a player was signed (can't remember who... Possibly Corey Gibbs?) and then the rumours surfaced that Billy Davies reacted badly to Andrew Mills being the final voice in transfers.
    Mills was in situ with Curbs and Curbs says he had no problem with that. He had a silly title - general manager - but was essentially a gofer. He did not make the decisions.

That is a separate issue from the imposition of a coaching set-up on Dowie, which was to keep out his brother, but was IMO not a reasonable constraint in that any incoming manager should have appointed their own team. With Davies I understand the situation was less clear cut.
  • Options
    What we need is a top performing Premeirship manager. Someone so good they are being considered as the next England manager. So Pardew or Riga?
  • Options
    It'll be better than what we have at the moment and he's probably the closest to a proper manager that RD will consider, though I'm firmly in the complete change is necessary camp.

Support the team and the new manager, assuming it happens, not the regime.
  • Options
    If Riga is to come back until the end of the season who will we be lumbered with next season probably yet another Belgian Burke I guess
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaking that Riga may be back may have been planted as a trial balloon?
    Would the reaction be positive?
    What if Fraeye stays as Riga's No. 2?

Bringing back Riga, sacked from three jobs in the past season and a half, is far from a masterstroke.

Riga is better than Fraeye. But who isn't?
  • Options

They could appoint a four ball management team of Curbishley , SCP , Lennie and the ghost of Jimmy Seed and I would still not properly enjoy the success that would follow with these ignorant Stayingpricks in charge of our club

I hate them with a (footballing) passion , in fact I'm saying the impossible , they are up there with the scum in my (footballing) hate department , there are no words that show my footballing (disclaimer to real life for PL54 cos we do all understand other things are more important) disgust for what they have presided over at our club .

But there doing the right things by spending within there means and sticking with an almost outdated FFP regulation while improving the academy.
    That doesn't excite you?
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I disagree that the squad is weaker than Riga's last stint

On balance I think you're right right. moral on the other hand I would guess is a hell of a lot worse.
    Riga or whoever should come in, has got a massive job in scrapping the players off the floor. I dread to think what sort of state the players are in after having 3 months (?) of working under Carol.

It will take 4 / 5 games for any new manager to get get things going again, we could be well adrift by then and playing catch up all the time.

Well done Katrien and Roland, your pigheadedness has shone through yet again. It was quite apparent that Carol was a total clown weeks ago, yet they decide (if they do indeed do it) to change now.

Riga isn't the man they want, but he is the only one amidst this nonsensical circus that they can possibly go for. No self respecting manager of note from the outside would even consider working for them.

The embarrassing thing is it's probably got nothing to do with the football. a couple of protests and some media attention has got their attention, so they think a change of manager will placate the fans. They could bring in Guardiola for all I care - they would still be a par if complete and utter arseholes. What needs to happen is for the pair of them to piss off back to the hole they climbed out of.
  • Options

sralan said:

If Riga wasn't deemed good enough before, then why bring him back? Couldn't make it up................................................... oh hang on, we're owned and staffed by Belgian tossers with blinkers on.

No one has said he wasn't deemed good enough before.

Yes, they didn't extend his contract and brought Peeters in, but it couldn't have been because he wasn't deemed good enough.

It was more likely because he wasn't a yes man, cost more than Peeters or Peeters had already been agreed as the new manager after Powell, but couldn't start until the summer.
    Final paragraph was my take on it when Riga was outed.

How can it be otherwise, Riga kept us up and should have been retained.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

Come on everybody...WE'RE DESPERATE. Look at the next 4 games - I see 4 defeats unless we have a managerial change now'ish.

I see four defeats with a managerial change.
  • Options
    Riga had a squad with probably less talent in 2014 but that squad did have great desire and spirit. Given how many games we played, he probably did very little coaching . We shall see !
  • Options
    This is absolute bonkers the man's not right in the head someone wheel him to the nut house please
  • Options
    Murray we have made mistakes yes and your not learning by them ffs
  • Options
    KINSELLA7 said:

I was obviously agreeing with Covered End and not Cabbles!

open to the interpretation of the forum :wink:

It does just emphasise how shit their ownership has been. We're in a worst position than we were when they arrived (on the pitch) and they've spent 9m plus on the team and are having to go back for the manager who came in then, but was obviously not deemed suitable to move the club forward. It's because our clueless lemons of owners haven't got an idea that they are scrabbling round desperate to look like they are doing something, when in reality they know nothing.

If Riga isn't a success who is left in RD's basement to try his luck.

Utter shambles