Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Riga *Might* be coming back

Comments

• Surely I'm not the only one pleased he's coming back?

wouldn't say I'm pleased as I'd rather someone like Steve Clarke but not displeased as I would have wanted him to stay last time round and he's a massive improvement on Carol.
  • Is this going to turn into the delort thread mark II?
  • Surely I'm not the only one pleased he's coming back?

Looks like you are i'm afraid....
  • they pay feck all no Brit manager will come near us re RDs network--the mess we are in and for the money theypay
  • skywalker said:

If Riga comes back then he is an actual moron. He knows that he will have no input in signings and has been screwed over by Duchatelet twice already.

Managers/coaches have an average 12 month in charge.

So you're not secure anywhere, so why not ? He liked it at Charlton and wanted to stay on.
    True, sacked by the same owner three times though? Twice by Standard Liege and basically sacked once by us. I can't think of anyone who would come back three times, he's either a mate or very desperate.

The thing that really annoys me is that I can imagine Miere and Murray getting together and deciding how to appease us, the brain dead peasant customers. If Cawley is correct then I think this is their answer.
    He hasn't been sacked 3 times though.

The first time at Standard Liege he resigned for a job in Qatar I think (presumably more money).

Charlton didn't sack him either. He had a 6 month(ish) contract, that wasn't extended. (I grant you that he wanted it extended).

The recent spell at Liege, Riga announced he wouldn't be extending the short contract.

So I don't believe RD has ever sacked him. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    You are correct. Last time Riga was at SL, RD wanted out and didn't want to invest a lot in the club since that would have effected the selling price. Riga was displeased with the lack of good players so he resigned. I imagine if RD gave Riga a call offering the job now at Charlton, Riga said "yes, but .... gimme some money and players". Bob Peeters had an enormous problem with KM, so you won't see him back.
    Ohhh, any more details? Sounds quite interesting..!

• skywalker said:

If Riga comes back then he is an actual moron. He knows that he will have no input in signings and has been screwed over by Duchatelet twice already.

Managers/coaches have an average 12 month in charge.

So you're not secure anywhere, so why not ? He liked it at Charlton and wanted to stay on.
    True, sacked by the same owner three times though? Twice by Standard Liege and basically sacked once by us. I can't think of anyone who would come back three times, he's either a mate or very desperate.

The thing that really annoys me is that I can imagine Miere and Murray getting together and deciding how to appease us, the brain dead peasant customers. If Cawley is correct then I think this is their answer.
    He hasn't been sacked 3 times though.

The first time at Standard Liege he resigned for a job in Qatar I think (presumably more money).

Charlton didn't sack him either. He had a 6 month(ish) contract, that wasn't extended. (I grant you that he wanted it extended).

The recent spell at Liege, Riga announced he wouldn't be extending the short contract.

So I don't believe RD has ever sacked him. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    You are correct. Last time Riga was at SL, RD wanted out and didn't want to invest a lot in the club since that would have effected the selling price. Riga was displeased with the lack of good players so he resigned. I imagine if RD gave Riga a call offering the job now at Charlton, Riga said "yes, but .... gimme some money and players". Bob Peeters had an enormous problem with KM, so you won't see him back.

Whether or not he's been sacked, pushed, walked......his relationship with RD is an odd one? Happy to just pop in and out of various managerial positions, usually when a particular team is in trouble and then happy to leave and be called upon when needed again....it's weird and it's not what Charlton need. The only reason he is being called upon again, is because yet again, mistakes have been made, lessons haven't been learnt and it will happen again next season, regardless of what league we are in.

There are not many 'managers' out there who are prepared to earn a living the way JR is seemingly happy to? I like him, but i'd have to question his judgement, motives and managerial acumen?

• seth plum said:

I heard from a source close to the Coaching set up (now no longer with Charlton) that both Riga and Prefers became persona non grata because they would not show deference to Fraeye who has been 'involved' throughout the tenure of this regime so far.
    If Riga is appointed, which as I have said smacks of desperation by the ignorant, then watch Fraeye carefully regarding what he moves on to.

This regime ought to talk to Varney because they are an embarrassment not only to us but to themselves.

Fraeye might go, but he will stay.

The last few weeks have certainly tarnished Fraeye's reputation, I can't believe RD will trust him as much, even if he does stay within the network
    Is there a network though ? Forget Upjest and Jena both too small to have any impact on Charlton. St. Truiden not owned (yeah I know) by Duchatelet and Alcorcon where he has stepped down as President.

In any case. Have we had any direct involvement with those last two apart from Polish Pete being originally offloaded there.

When Standard went so did the "network" ?

As I see it, we're purely THE Big Experiment now & isolated from any previous network.

• Anyone seen Fraeye at training today? And will he do the pre-match press conference? If he does, either the Mail are wrong (no surprise) or they have given him one more match with which to hang himself. Or perhaps Meire is speed interviewing candidates again
  • Sponsored links:

• Does not matter who they appoint, he will not save this club, only RD can do that with any signings. Even if he brings in decent players (yea right), and Riga keeps us up, Riga will still be gone at the end of the season
  • Under Riga, we competed in games, maybe not against the top 6 sides, but the rest we certainly did, and we won games we should've won.

His win rate speaks for itself, bar Blackpool of course which actually makes us look like a well run club.
  • mogodon said:

Anyone seen Fraeye at training today?

Cafckev might know

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2361561#Comment_2361561
  • Under Riga, we competed in games, maybe not against the top 6 sides, but the rest we certainly did, and we won games we should've won.

His win rate speaks for itself, bar Blackpool of course which actually makes us look like a well run club.

Definitely, we have played Rotherham, Preston, Huddersfield, Bolton, Brentford all at home and failed to win! Under Riga those were games we were winning and apart from Blackpool he has a good record. Metz have won 45% of their games under him this season, so I don't understand his sacking!
  • mogodon said:

Anyone seen Fraeye at training today? And will he do the pre-match press conference? If he does, either the Mail are wrong (no surprise) or they have given him one more match with which to hang himself. Or perhaps Meire is speed interviewing candidates again

Saw him in the laundrette :-)

• tgarrat1 said:

Under Riga, we competed in games, maybe not against the top 6 sides, but the rest we certainly did, and we won games we should've won.

Definitely, we have played Rotherham, Preston, Huddersfield, Bolton, Brentford all at home and failed to win! Under Riga those were games we were winning and apart from Blackpool he has a good record. Metz have won 45% of their games under him this season, so I don't understand his sacking!
    My point exactly, at the half way stage we've everyone to play again and the teams mentioned is a MUST to pick up points now. Riga will at least give us a better shape and hopefully get the best out of the players as he did back end of 13/14 season, IMO the players we have now aren't any worse than the ones we had then.
  • Not much more to be said really. I'm about 5/10 happy with Riga. Carol Fry was a 1/10.

Perhaps if we regurgitate our past enough we'll go all the way back to the Prem
  • edited January 2016
    Out of all the appointments we played the best football under Riga... We tore Watford to shreads at the Valley (Who then beat us 5-0 only six months later) whilst could have had a hat full against Huddersfield in his first match.

Dont forget because of the fixture congestion, Riga never had time to work with the players on the pitch, instead it was all meetings and video analysis
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2016
    tgarrat1 said:

We should get behind the team, people screaming 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' at our captain and great servant Jackson on Saturday is a disgrace! Anyone who's going to scream that may aswell stay at home because it won't help matters! Shout at KM and Murray as much as you want and call them whatever you want but not at the players!

The regime is a farce and the team aren't good enough but that's not their fault its our f***ing idiot of a CEO and that snake Murray who are letting us down!

I don't think they were screaming it at Jackson to be fair, he was just the only one who came over to the fans to clap properly. As for the rest of the players getting abuse, in that instance I was all for it. Not a single one (bar Pope) could have claimed to put in a 100% shift - that's the absolute bare minimum we should expect and demand.
  • tgarrat1 said:

We should get behind the team, people screaming 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' at our captain and great servant Jackson on Saturday is a disgrace! Anyone who's going to scream that may aswell stay at home because it won't help matters! Shout at KM and Murray as much as you want and call them whatever you want but not at the players!

The regime is a farce and the team aren't good enough but that's not their fault its our f***ing idiot of a CEO and that snake Murray who are letting us down!

Agreed... It happened a few months ago when it was pretty much just Solly / Jackson / Cousins / Henderson walked off the pitch side by side, was one chant I really hated as those three will always put in the effort, they've all been out of form recently but none of them have hid!!
  • seth plum said:

I heard from a source close to the Coaching set up (now no longer with Charlton) that both Riga and Prefers became persona non grata because they would not show deference to Fraeye who has been 'involved' throughout the tenure of this regime so far.
    If Riga is appointed, which as I have said smacks of desperation by the ignorant, then watch Fraeye carefully regarding what he moves on to.

This regime ought to talk to Varney because they are an embarrassment not only to us but to themselves.

Fraeye might go, but he will stay.

We need read no further than this. This is an absolute joke of an appointment if it happens. Not because I don't think Riga is better than KF, nor because he is a capable manager (I think he is). It is a joke because it shines a light on the mess that is our ownership and its reactionary, piss poor approach to running a football club. It's just like calling up an ex after you've come out of a relationship. We're in a bit of state, emotionally and physically we're a bit all over the place, can you comfort me. Oh and we've got a bit less hair than when we first met, and put on a bit of weight (that's me comparing the team we had in 2014 to the the team we have now).

I actually hope Riga tells them to go stuff themselves. I want these idiots out of our club. They have a dwindling pool of shit that they have dipped into to an extent that each and every decision is bottom feed.

GET THEM OUT
  • tgarrat1 said:

The Johnnie Jackson song was sung when he came up to us...
  • Out of all the appointments we played the best football under Riga... We tore Watford to shreads at the Valley whilst could have had a hat full against Huddersfield in his first match.

Dont forget because of the fixture congestion, Riga never had time to work with the players on the pitch, instead it was all meetings and video analysis

But I thought that Fraeye was the mastermind behind all of that? I'm very confused.
    I don't think fraeye could mastermind doing grocery shopping in Lidl
  • tgarrat1 said:

No one sung that to Jackson
  • IA said:

Bear in mind that Luzon is probably in the background somewhere in Staprix and it's possible that if negotiations with Riga break down then Luzon could be brought back to replace, erm, Guy Luzon.

If Riga and Luzon turn it down, and Peeters upset the regime (according to earlier posts) then that leaves two possibilities.

1 Fraeye is sacked and then re-appointed as interim interim manager until someone else can be found
    2 Fraeye is sacked and Meire, after an intense session on FIFA Manager while in the laundry basket on the journey back from Colchester, is appointed the new interim manager.
  • As there has been no announcement and it's now 1.30pm, is it safe to assume (weep over the fact) that Fraeye is being trusted to manage the side to another defeat tomorrow night?