Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga *Might* be coming back

Comments

• Options
    sralan said:

If Riga wasn't deemed good enough before, then why bring him back? Couldn't make it up................................................... oh hang on, we're owned and staffed by Belgian tossers with blinkers on.

No one has said he wasn't deemed good enough before.

Yes, they didn't extend his contract and brought Peeters in, but it couldn't have been because he wasn't deemed good enough.

It was more likely because he wasn't a yes man, cost more than Peeters or Peeters had already been agreed as the new manager after Powell, but couldn't start until the summer.
  • Options
    dabos said:

Even if true it solves nothing, Riga worked once but it don't mean he will again, lightening rarely strikes twice, even if he did keep us up hailing him a 2 time club hero he'll be released at the end of the season to be replaced by a permanent Belgian bloke that none of us would have heard of with no backing and no championship experience and we'll be back here in the same position this time next year!

Riga worked once, but lightning doesn't strike twice ?

Sorry but that is absolute bull. On this basis we shouldn't appoint anyone that's ever been successful.

Just appoint failures ?
    Did you read it all? Bottom line is I liked Riga, most did but he was lucky when he was appointed he had games in hand too, the lightening striking twice comment was about the luck he had. But as I said even if he succeeds he'd be replaced in the close season anyway.

Ffs, you don't have to be a genius to work out that they are just trying to appease "customers" to stop the protests. They read these boards they know we all loved Riga, hence my whole post which says this solves nothing.
    I don't think Riga was lucky. I saw the games and he turned players like Sordell and Harriot, who had been extremely poor, into really good players. No way was it luck. he did a great job and I hope he can do it again.

If it was luck, please elaborate, on what you mean.

If we want someone with the best track record, then he's got to be a good choice. He may well not save us. It'll be very very difficult, as we've already played most of the bottom teams at home & couldn't beat any of them.
    But he's DONE IT ONCE, so he has the necessary experience in my eyes.

Appeasement or not, I don't care. I'm still pleased if Riga's back and I still want new owners.

I'd like a bit more appeasement though, witha couple more decent players.
    Sordell scored a hat trick in 1 game and Harriott got 1 brace. I'm not sure that constitutes turning them into "really good players". It was 1 game each, which could've happened at any time - I'd put that down to luck more than managerial genius. 15/16 games is too small a sample size for us to really know how good Riga was. In my eyes, very little changed under Riga. We played the same players, with more or less the same tactics, with a 3:2 split (ish) of home games to away games.

Callum got a brace and a hat-trick so he was good for two games.
  • Options
    I hope Riga still has the lucky silver/grey suit...........................................
  • Options
    I warmed to Riga when he was here. I think his speech and that of Jackson on the pitch after the final home game was positive and suggested some momentum.
    It was therefore a terrible decision to then let him go.
    However, he should not return. It would not be the right appointment at this time. I also think it would show him to be a little spineless. To be treated poorly by RD in the past on more than one occasion and keep responding to the next click of his fingers demonstrates a bit too much deference and desperation.
  • Options
    If Katrien kept her meetings we could!
  • Options

meldrew66 said:

Sorry, but I simply can't accept another Belgian. I also don't believe in 'going back' whether that is Riga or even Powelly. If the fans are accepting of Riga because of his 'success' last time then I worry that KM will state (if/when he fails) that the fans wanted him and that it vindicates the club's strategy regarding Belgians. Please, let's not play into their hands. We need an experienced, credible, non-Belgian ex-championship (or better) British manager. Gimme a Steve Clarke, Billy Davis etc. I just don't think that is on heir radar. Who follows Riga? Peters? It's a bloody farce. When will the madness end?

They are men of sufficient dignity and integrity that would not work under these mugs. That's why they limit their scope of puppets who are too spineless to speak out about how devoid of a clue their bosses are when it comes to football.
    Ah yes, the Billy Davies that agreed to take over from Curbs in the evening and when Murray phoned The Marriott in the morning, had gone back to Scotland, without the manners to say anything and never did.
  • Options
    So if we have improved with every new manager we have hired what does this mean?

Fuck me, inept is too kind for the mob that make the decisions for our club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

meldrew66 said:

Sorry, but I simply can't accept another Belgian. I also don't believe in 'going back' whether that is Riga or even Powelly. If the fans are accepting of Riga because of his 'success' last time then I worry that KM will state (if/when he fails) that the fans wanted him and that it vindicates the club's strategy regarding Belgians. Please, let's not play into their hands. We need an experienced, credible, non-Belgian ex-championship (or better) British manager. Gimme a Steve Clarke, Billy Davis etc. I just don't think that is on heir radar. Who follows Riga? Peters? It's a bloody farce. When will the madness end?

They are men of sufficient dignity and integrity that would not work under these mugs. That's why they limit their scope of puppets who are too spineless to speak out about how devoid of a clue their bosses are when it comes to football.
    Ah yes, the Billy Davies that agreed to take over from Curbs in the evening and when Murray phoned The Marriott in the morning, had gone back to Scotland, without the manners to say anything and never did.
    Ok bad example but that's not the point. Most managers with the experience and attitude to be successful in the Championship would not work under it. That's why we get the current load of yes men.

The system and strategy is therefore unworkable. Not giving a manager/ head coach the relative autonomy to build something but rather its done like a science by people who know sweet FA about science or football.
  • Options

Like the players here at the time, I felt JR was one of the good guys & was very disappointed when he wasn't offered a contract at the end of that season. I believe that with the help of Solly, JJ & Jordan, he could gain the hearts & minds of the newer members of the squad and together make a decent fist of restoring much needed confidence. That has to be the first step towards the fight for survival in this league.

We can but hope that once a settled team is established with the return of Diarra, Bauer & JBG, Jose would get the best out of the lads by playing to their strengths. If he is appointed, I wonder whether he will be allowed to identify one or two additional players to bring in otherwise I'm not sure where the much needed goals will come from...

As others have rightly agreed, we'd need to support him and the team in the fight to avoid relegation but that does NOT mean we should cease our protests against the regime that has put our Club in this position. Without a change of ownership and now that we know beyond a shadow of doubt that investors ARE interested, we'll likely find ourselves here again next season , and the next with serious investment in the squad neglected ad infintum.

The PV revelation has clearly heightened our concerns about the future of our Club and rightly so. This could be the best offer for CAFC & the Charlton family in general, brokered by "one of us" and as such we should do everything possible to persuade RD to the sale before it's withdrawn. The " be careful what you wish for" concern must surely be dismissed in light of who is involved & with some Lifers expressing their worries around future plans for The Valley , could anyone be worse than the Belgians ?

If he doesn't want to sell though, what can we do, realistically? Protests are a very positive step but if he's stubborn, and it's easy to be from a different country, then how do we make him sell fast before the potential investors get bored?
  • Options
    Beggars cant be choosers at the moment and with that in mind Jose Riga is the best option we could possibly hope for. He has done the job succesfully before (be that by luck or whatever), has shown an affinity with CAFC and I was angry he wasnt given the full time job last time. That mistake has now hopefully been rectified and we can move onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    What are the bookies saying, I cant find anything
  • Options
    dabos said:

Even if true it solves nothing, Riga worked once but it don't mean he will again, lightening rarely strikes twice, even if he did keep us up hailing him a 2 time club hero he'll be released at the end of the season to be replaced by a permanent Belgian bloke that none of us would have heard of with no backing and no championship experience and we'll be back here in the same position this time next year!

Sorry but that is absolute bull. On this basis we shouldn't appoint anyone that's ever been successful.

Just appoint failures ?
    Did you read it all? Bottom line is I liked Riga, most did but he was lucky when he was appointed he had games in hand too, the lightening striking twice comment was about the luck he had. But as I said even if he succeeds he'd be replaced in the close season anyway.

Ffs, you don't have to be a genius to work out that they are just trying to appease "customers" to stop the protests. They read these boards they know we all loved Riga, hence my whole post which says this solves nothing.
    I don't think Riga was lucky. I saw the games and he turned players like Sordell and Harriot, who had been extremely poor, into really good players. No way was it luck. he did a great job and I hope he can do it again.

If we want someone with the best track record, then he's got to be a good choice. He may well not save us. It'll be very very difficult, as we've already played most of the bottom teams at home & couldn't beat any of them.

Appeasement or not, I don't care. I'm still pleased if Riga's back and I still want new owners.

Sordell scored a hat trick in 1 game and Harriott got 1 brace. I'm not sure that constitutes turning them into "really good players". It was 1 game each, which could've happened at any time - I'd put that down to luck more than managerial genius. 15/16 games is too small a sample size for us to really know how good Riga was. In my eyes, very little changed under Riga. We played the same players, with more or less the same tactics, with a 3:2 split (ish) of home games to away games.

Riga - 11 March 2014 -27 May 2014 P16 W7 D3 L6 PTS 24 WIN RATIO 43.75%

Riga's record was 1.5 points per game. I think Fraeye's is about 0.8.

If Riga can do it again, we can survive.
  • Options
    Welcome back Jose if it happens, but does this mean Big Bob will be back when they get fed up with him? Followed by mad Guy and........
  • Options

What are the bookies saying, I cant find anything

They're probably pissing themselves laughing like everybody else looking in from the outside.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:

dabos said:

Just appoint failures ?

Callum got a brace and a hat-trick so he was good for two games.
    I make @dabos right though. Riga was a lucky manager in that he took over at a time when he had a long run against sides with not much to play for, allowing him to get things moving. Now he still had to show some talent in understanding how to get performances out of Harriott and the talented but frustrating Sordell and he'll always get credit from me for his time with us, but he also had a squad used to the Championship and full of spirit , Sheff Utd notwithstanding.

I think he'd be on a hiding to nothing to return now.
  • Options
    I've been rereading "Valley of dreams" and it just shows the difference between what made us hugely successful and a model club in the modern game, and the utter shambles that we are now involved in.

Looking at Mick Mcarthy and Ipswich it is not surprising that a tried and tested British approach, a proper scouting system that looks at the player from temperament to technique, that buys players around a system that works as a unit and has a balance... All things that seem entirely alien to this current regime.

There is a madman at the helm, one that "doesnt mind not winning" has more money that any Charlton Chairman ever yet is trying to run an utterly illogical model based on all evidence.

We are doing the right things, we are protesting and making a proper racket, and we will continue to do so I trust, an up tick in results in unlikely but not entirely out the question.

I thank everyone for their focus and support and continued thinking around how to get these morons out...

They will go and we will stay and we will build again.
  • Options

I think that's part of the problem with Riga coming back, he was an enjoyable sub note in our history. Like a holiday fling with that northern bird you met in Ibiza 10 years ago. Fun while it lasted but probably best not to meet up again and find out she's actually a chain smoking racist with an addiction to meat pies.

What I mean is I liked him and I don't really want the happy memories tainted. Plus I think he can do better than a role in this poxy soap opera Roland is producing.

Liked, but a very real LOL in the middle too. :smiley:
  • Options
    And we have a new song for the players to come out to now. It's called "In a Land of Lunatics, Sanity is Madness"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEFN8zq-08Y
  • Options
    Riga will probably speak his mind...perhaps that's one of the reasons they f*cked him off in the 1st place.
  • Options

john3 said:

I went to the demonstrations both before and after the match against Forest to make my presence and feelings known, i stood there and joined in the singing not for a compromise but to join with the Charlton family in attempting to get this board and its manager out.
    Why on earth should we settle for anything less;i do not believe that by the board appointing Riga if it is true should be acceptable to us,i think it is an insult [not the man himself,he's being used to appease the "customers"] .
    Are we really going to accept this? keep standing,keep the faith and WE WILL SEE THIS THROUGH,NO COMPROMISE!

I think you're confusing 2 issues here.

You are allowed to have a good coach and still want the owners out.

I'm happy with Riga, but still want the owners out.
    Disagree ,if Riga comes in and we survive the drop that will only strengthen the current boards position to stay and say that their appointment was right and what are we complaining about. I think also that the current momentum of demonstration may loose weight as we accept the new status quo,then a few months into the new season the same old
    chestnut!!
  • Options

Hilarious. Our club has become an absolute effing joke.

P.s I have not just realised this!

It's not our club - we are mere customers of their club